Larceny Bourbon By HH

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If Kass and ProofandAge are reading this, please add Wisconsin to your distribution list. Seriously.

Pat and I cracked open our sample bottle today. Smells damn good. Pat did a side by side with some OFBB,DSP- 16 BTW, and preferred the Larceny. Yes, I was shocked. I look forward to tasting it tomorrow with some other coworkers.

Let us know what you think Joe. Taste them blind!

So HH introduces 92 proof Larcecy at $25. Beam has 90 proof MM around $25, a bit more for M46. And Sazerac let's 107proof OWA out near $20? Hmmm, can you say underpriced.

Also, does Camperi/Wild Turkey ever get into wheaters or is that a total nonstarter in Lawrenceburg?

I don't think you're ever going to see WT make a wheater. See SMOWK I used You're, HAPPY? :grin:

Hey everyone, new to the forum here but I just came across a press release for Larceny. Here it is:

"For 2012, Larceny will be available in the 1.75 liter, 1 liter, 750ml and 50ml sizes in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. At an average national retail price of $24.99 for the 750ml size, Larceny is a true small batch Bourbon produced from dumps of 100 or fewer barrels that have been selected from the 4th, 5th and 6th floors of Heaven Hill’s open rick warehouses in Nelson County, Kentucky. Larceny is drawn from barrels that have aged from 6 to 12 years at this high storage, and is bottled at a full-bodied 92 proof, or 46% alcohol by volume. All barrels of Larceny, just like all other barrels of Bourbon, rye, wheat and corn whiskey from Heaven Hill, are produced under the skilled hand and watchful eye of 6th and 7th generation father and son Master Distillers Parker and Craig Beam."

Glad it will be offered right away in a 50 ml. It isn't that I'm cheap (well . . . ok, it is a little like that) as much as I don't want to take up precious space with a bottle if I can taste it first for less than a shot at the bar.

Let us know what you think Joe. Taste them blind!

Tasted blind with current OWA 107 and an OFBIB dsp 16. Not the reuslts I expected.

1.) Larceny

2.) OWA 107

3.) OFBIB

Everything I've read has been nothing but positive so far. Can't wait.

I love the marketing on this one, "Super Premium.....$24.99"

That just seems to cheapen the definition of "super-premium" to me.

Value/Premium/High End Premium/Super Premium are categories defined by DISCUS and are based on the supplier revenue per 9 liter case.

For Bourbons (and Canadians) their examples of each are:

Value: Early Times, Black Velvet

Premium: Jim Beam White, Seagrams VO

High End Premium: JD, MM, JB Black

Super Premium: Woodford, Crown Royal

Larceny can certainly live in the "Super Premium" category along with everything else that's ~25 bucks a bottle and up.

Always good to take a moment for perspective. If your definition of super premium is $60 and up, then you are among the top 2% spenders of bourbon enthusiasts, who are in turn among the top 2% of the whole bourbon market (numbers pulled out of my butt). Accordingly, your definition of super premium is kind of meaningless or at least has a very narrow range of application. Peons like me would laugh at a $60 price point even if they were selling 750 ml of "unicorn pee".

This is why Larceny is exciting to me. It sound like it could be good and I can actually try it to see. As has been noted, recent new releases seem to be all ridiculously expensive up-marketed bottlings. While the price point of these new releases is annoying to a lot of you, it's completely prohibitive to peons like me. If, say, it had come out at around $30+, a lot of you would have been grumpy, but you would have paid it. I would have said 'forget about it'. Several commenters have suggested that Larceny is marketed for the average SB enthusiast; I would suggest that it is actually marketed for people like me - young people who are interested in bourbon but are unable / unwilling to break bank for it. The average SBer will still try it, I think, but I will consider getting in on it too.

Tasted blind with current OWA 107 and an OFBIB dsp 16. Not the reuslts I expected.

1.) Larceny

2.) OWA 107

3.) OFBIB

Tried a glass of this tonight and it reminded me a bit of Bernheim Wheat. That "biscuity" character lingered in the background with the more traditional corn sweetness up front. I have one more pour left in the sample bottle so I'll revisit it next week after giving it some air. I thought it was good, but couldn't really nail down an opinion from the first round.

Tried a glass of this tonight and it reminded me a bit of Bernheim Wheat. That "biscuity" character lingered in the background with the more traditional corn sweetness up front. I have one more pour left in the sample bottle so I'll revisit it next week after giving it some air. I thought it was good, but couldn't really nail down an opinion from the first round.

Damn ... I'm excited about getting my hands on a bottle ... another trip to KY :hot: ... :lol:

Taste it blind with your favorite Wheaters. Really levels the playing field.

Will try that later this week, and looking forward to it!

it's no where to be found in Texas. Big shock there :(

It'll probably show up in a couple months, once it gets past the TABC.

The guy I spoke with at Minks on Monday said not to expect it in Georgia for a month or more as well, as it still has all of the state BS to deal with :( Hoping I'll get to try it at KBF before then :)

Sipping it right now. Got it locally for $22.99 and with a $10 mail-in rebate tag on the bottle. OK, this is a nice wheater. It's got a textbook wheater aspect to it. It's got a great nose and a gentle flavor. It could use a couple more years I think, but knowing what I know about leaving OWA in a half drunk bottle full of air for a few weeks or months, I bet this one will take on some similar magic with time and air as well. It's 92 proof, not bad. Tried a glass with a bit of ice and I feel like the cold brought out something nice too. I'm so used to the Weller profile, this is just a new one and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Nothing offensive at all, real pleasant and easy. Not a lot of depth when sipping, but the nose suggest more is there. It's gonna take me a bit to get familiar with it. But it's perfectly enjoyable, should provide some REALLY special offerings in a few years if HH keeps this up and keeps some stuff in the barrels. $23 a bottle, absolutely worth it. $13 bucks for this rebate-tagged bottle, no brainer.

STLb

Local shop got a sampler bottle brought in by some reps. I tried it. Fairly weak juice and has that odd character that I never like in HH whiskey

Local shop got a sampler bottle brought in by some reps. I tried it. Fairly weak juice and has that odd character that I never like in HH whiskey

Winston, what odd characteristic do you get in HH whiskey?

I'll definitely pick up a bottle to try, but with WSR on sale for $9.99/750ml in Georgia it will be tough to spend $23 for a 92 proof wheater.

I've been waiting for the new HH wheater ever since they put out that poll asking about names. Can't wait to get a bottle.

I am looking forward to trying this. I find Parker's Heritage Wheated to be a wonderful pour and I'm excited to see what they're going to bring out as a standard release. That said, I have also had a recent VSOF 12 year old and was underwhelmed by that bottle. I would rather have seen the proof of Larceny be 100 (or even better, 107) but >90 is still welcome.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.