Larceny Bourbon By HH

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a 1.75 after the HW tasting at TPS. A couple of neighbors and I knocked back half that night and finished the rest in Cumberland last weekend. I really enjoy it. I love OWA and for the same price I will keep both in the liquor cabinet. They have different profiles and I like them both and I dont feel the urge to pick one over the other The bottle I tasted had lots of oak in it and tasted like it had older whiskey in it. IMHO this is the best thing that has come out in this price range in a long time. Nice job HH!

So nobody around here knows or remembers me probably but I just got a bottle of this stuff and I think it is really great whiskey. Is it mind blowing show stopping or something like that...well no. But it is something I would pay $24 for without a doubt. So I tasted it side by side with my latest cheaper go to...and obviously a completely different bourbon, OGD 114. This taste test really brought out the wheat aspects of the Larceny. It also brought out that eucalyptus HH thing I love so much. Side by side you could really taste the oak and leather of the older bourbons in the larceny (I'm making an assumption that Larceny has some older bourbon in it than OGD114...maybe I'm wrong) this is no show stopper but it is really well made HH style bourbon and I am a HUGE fan of that. Just my two cents as a lurker and someone who loves HH and followed this release with a lot of interest. At $13 it's a steal with the rebate.

I'm continuing to enjoy my bottle. Several pours last night. It is more in the vein of a Maker's Marks subtle wheat, rather than the big chewy OWA 107. Like EJMHarris said above, I like them both, but they are different. Personally, when I think "wheaters", I think of profiles like MM and this Larceny. Not, OWA 107. But, don't get me wrong, I adore OWA. Significantly more "guts" to it than Weller SR. Not even close, and worth it's doubled price over the SR. Not as dry and thin as I find W12, and there is definitely some nicely aged whiskey in there. For me, I prefer Larceny to the W12. I continue to not find any similarity to the Old Fitz BIB, and I'm guessing that the upped age has worked this magic. I'm nearly done with my 750, and will begin shortly to refill from my "family sized" bottle. When that is vanquished, I will begin a continuous replenishment program of this fine whiskey.

I'm continuing to enjoy my bottle. Several pours last night. It is more in the vein of a Maker's Marks subtle wheat, rather than the big chewy OWA 107. Like EJMHarris said above, I like them both, but they are different. Personally, when I think "wheaters", I think of profiles like MM and this Larceny. Not, OWA 107. But, don't get me wrong, I adore OWA. Significantly more "guts" to it than Weller SR. Not even close, and worth it's doubled price over the SR. Not as dry and thin as I find W12, and there is definitely some nicely aged whiskey in there. For me, I prefer Larceny to the W12. I continue to not find any similarity to the Old Fitz BIB, and I'm guessing that the upped age has worked this magic. I'm nearly done with my 750, and will begin shortly to refill from my "family sized" bottle. When that is vanquished, I will begin a continuous replenishment program of this fine whiskey.

W12 vs Larceny sounds like a good comparison! Hmm . . . something to do this weekend :grin: I enjoyed what I tried at KBF, but any specifics were lost due to . . . KBF :lol:

Didn't your purveyor of spirits provide a rebate coupon? I paid $40 for a 1.75--with coupon only $20. I told my wife that if we didn't like it we could always serve it to guests who insist on putting alien substances in their whiskey.
I do not know. Only emailed saying it was waiting on me. Will try and get away from the still and get over there Saturday. Even if he does, I doubt I will mail it in. I used to enjoy MM before it was dumbed down, if it is anywhere close to as good as that whiskey was, I will pay the money. Oh, and he got back to me. 25 bucks. I know he lurks around here. Maybe I should call him greedy and will get it for free.

Man I know I am not SUPPOSED to disagree with someone of your stature, but dry and thin is the last thing I think of with W12..maybe Texas gets the best they have IDK. I find it equal at least to Van Winkle 12. I am going to give the Larceny another go this weekend after it has been open a while.

Brother, will you do me a favor? Will you please call my wife and 13 yr old daughter and tell them they are not supposed to disagree with someone of my stature? Actually, I'll settle for a reprieve from constantly being known around the house as dumbf**k!!! :D

Yep, I know W12 gets much love, but it just doesn't hit me right. I used to like it more some years ago, but it is flat, dry, and thin to me now. I was starting to come around to it several months ago, and I guess I'm talking myself into accepting it more, but still meh...No matter, though...But, I will say this. It goes well as the 25% part of my 3:1 SB Blend!!

All in all, another textbook example of YMMV and living proof that everyone's preferences are their own, and as such, are 100% correct. :usflag:

:toast:

For a long time the only wheaters were Stitzel-Weller and Maker's Mark. Now we have three, made in three different distilleries, by three different teams. I wish there were more.

It was reported by Sazerac in 2009 when they bought Barton that Barton was making a wheater. Nobody knows why and I don't know what, if anything, Sazerac has done with that whiskey. I'll have to ask.

Brother, will you do me a favor? Will you please call my wife and 13 yr old daughter and tell them they are not supposed to disagree with someone of my stature? Actually, I'll settle for a reprieve from constantly being known around the house as dumbf**k!!! :D

Yep, I know W12 gets much love, but it just doesn't hit me right. I used to like it more some years ago, but it is flat, dry, and thin to me now. I was starting to come around to it several months ago, and I guess I'm talking myself into accepting it more, but still meh...No matter, though...But, I will say this. It goes well as the 25% part of my 3:1 SB Blend!!

All in all, another textbook example of YMMV and living proof that everyone's preferences are their own, and as such, are 100% correct. :usflag:

:toast:

Yeah man, I was just kidding. :) But nothing like the wife and kids to bring you back down to reality when you get "too big for your britches"! Gonna try Larceny again this weekend.

Have added a little water? I wonder if that opens it up even more.

Couple weeks of air time seems to have done wonders for me. Actually enjoying it quite a bit now. Will try and grab another with the rebate!

Inspired by smokinjoe's notes, I did a blind taste test between Larceny/Weller 12 yr/OWA (which wasn't fair - the OWA stood out quite easily!) At first blush, I thought the nose was a push. After stepping away for 10 minutes, I thought that the W12 was a bit thinner than Larceny. I enjoyed the taste of both, but liked that Larceny had a slight bite on the finish, and I found the vanilla to be more prominent. The W12 was nice as well, but the finish was "too smooth" for me. I got a hint of butterscotch though which I enjoyed. If I could only drink one of these two for the rest of my life, while it was close - I'd have to lean towards the Larceny.

What I found most interesting is what after my nosing/tasting, I tried to guess which was which and had them WRONG! I thought for sure that the W12 was the Larceny, as I thought the Larceny had more in common with the OWA (which beat them both hands down).

Well, I picked my bottle up today. I have only smelled the stuff in the bottle. Sure smells good. Will find out what it tastes like in a little bit.

I picked up two bottles yesterday. With the rebate they were $12 which makes this stuff an incredible bargain. At $22 it's a bit more pricey but still good juice. I think OWA trumps it for value at full price but it certainly is a nice change of pace when compared to OWA. WSR was usually my lower proofed to to wheater but larceny is right in the mix now.

Well, it is better than old fitz, but the taste does not match the nose. I found it too light in body and way too sweet for my tastes. I would love to see what it would have tasted like if they had put some more heat to the still and brought the proof down. If this was more affordable though, I might see drinking it on occasion, but at 25 bucks plus tax, it is a no sell for me.

Couple weeks of air time seems to have done wonders for me. Actually enjoying it quite a bit now. Will try and grab another with the rebate!

That's the way I feel. I try to never reach a conclusion about a bourbon until I have sampled at least a half bottle. Of course, with a handle, that can take a day or two longer. I'm liking the Larceny--especially with the rebate. HH is probably betting that by the time I have worked my way through two handles (the limit on the rebates), they will have me hooked. OK. I'm willing to be Larcenated.

I'm sure others here got the email too...HH is having launch parties at designated bars in Chicago, San Fran, LA, New York and Louisville. This along with the rebate makes it clear HH is serious about market share on this.

Have reached the half-way point in my family-sized bottle and have concluded that I like it. Not the same as the Wellers but enjoyable in its own way. Will be headed to Lexington in a couple weeks and will be visiting the Liquor Barn for another big ol' bottle. (Get those $20 rebates while you can, boys!)

I'm sure others here got the email too...HH is having launch parties at designated bars in Chicago, San Fran, LA, New York and Louisville. This along with the rebate makes it clear HH is serious about market share on this.

Some of these nimnulls at Diageo, BT, HH..etc need to realize that Houston is the 4th largest in the U.S. and one of the most diverse cities..and a big whisk(e)y town..

Some of these nimnulls at Diageo, BT, HH..etc need to realize that Houston is the 4th largest in the U.S. and one of the most diverse cities..and a big whisk(e)y town..

Yeah, why two in California? So the distillery execs can get two all expense paid trips out west?

San Francisco

Oct 3rd - 8PM

The Office Above Churchill

194 Church Street

San Fran, CA 94114

Los Angeles

Oct 16th - 7PM

Seven Grand

515 West 7th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90014

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.