Larceny Bourbon By HH

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone care to share the details about the CA stops

The events are stated to be full when you try and rsvp (within 2 hours of getting email for Chicago). San Francisco is 10/3 at The Office above Churchill and Los Angeles is 10/16 at Seven Grand. Of course some of us already had our own launch party at the Gazebo in Bardstown over KBF weekend with several bottles on the table...and then empty :grin:.

The rebate coupon can only be used twice per address by the way.

Here is my take.

The nose on this bourbon is awesome. In the first few minutes, corn, caramel, a hint of tobacco. After 10 minutes or so a major change. I pick up leather, darker tobacco and some cinnamon.

This is the best that this bourbon has.

I will say no more.

I really, really, wish I liked this bourbon since a local store has 1.75's for $29.98, before the $20 rebate. With tax and the rebate, I'd be looking at less than $13 for a handle.

Maybe I need to give it another try.

Here is my take.

The nose on this bourbon is awesome. In the first few minutes, corn, caramel, a hint of tobacco. After 10 minutes or so a major change. I pick up leather, darker tobacco and some cinnamon.

This is the best that this bourbon has.

I will say no more.

Wish I had your bottle. I posted my tasting notes for Larceny in the tasting forum. I wasn't at all impressed. For me the nose was utterly bland. With that said, it was the very first pour after opening the bottle. If it's anything like my experience with OWA, it may take a few months to open up. Also, it reminded me a little of VB17. It's fairly harsh and uncomplex straight. But, with a splash of water it became supreme. I hadn't had the opportunity yet to spend time with Larceny...test it's limits....unlock it's secrets....it could be there's.a bourbon worth cherishing locked awayin that odd bottle. Might be why the logo has a keyhole.....just need the right key.

I like it.

Somebody above expressed puzzlement on the design of the label and bottle. The lock & key motif is a rif on the Old Fitz "Key to Hospitality" logo on the BiB and Prime.

I like it.

Somebody above expressed puzzlement on the design of the label and bottle. The lock & key motif is a rif on the Old Fitz "Key to Hospitality" logo on the BiB and Prime.

I do too - keep going HH, try to bring some of this profile to OF BiB, and I might buy it again. But I think Larceny has a bit more going on than MM, and I've always found OWA to be a bit hot and one dimensional to my taste. So it seems to me they have a winner at this price point.

I really, really, wish I liked this bourbon since a local store has 1.75's for $29.98, before the $20 rebate. With tax and the rebate, I'd be looking at less than $13 for a handle.

Maybe I need to give it another try.

I like it.

Maybe "Lock On Hospitality."

The press kit included a USB drive (they all do these days) in the shape of an old-timey key.

Most video reviews, those sans Jennifer/white bikini anyway, are so awful that I'm starting to prefer them where the person is drunk.

"Having met the Heaven Hill Distillery people at Whisky Live, the one thing that I know, is that they really do like to play with rye concentrations in their mashbills, and this one is no exception."

She's right, they played with this one all the way down to zero.

LoL! Yup, you tend to get a severe lack of rye when wheat is used.

Yep awful review..I also hate to see the b-word bandied about these days. I just don't understand that.

Most video reviews, those sans Jennifer/white bikini anyway, are so awful that I'm starting to prefer them where the person is drunk.

Yeah a lot are bad, although Jason Pyle and Ralfy Mitchell do very good ones.

... Jason Pyle and Ralfy Mitchell do very good ones.

There may be others but those two are the best on bourbon and scotch respectively.

I am probably not the first to recant my previous first impressions of a bourbon, but I may have to change some of my opinion of Larceny. I spent some time with splashes of water, air time, to test the various levels of "opening up." It seems, as I suspected, more to this Bourbon. It does in fact bare resemblance to a much younger VB17. It's essentially the same flavor profile with all the nuances and deep flavors held back; obviously because it hasn't reached anywhere near the maturity of VB17.

So, would it be safe to surmise that Larceny is Bernheim wheat?

So, would it be safe to surmise that Larceny is Bernheim wheat?

Not sure if serious....

I mean, yes, it's wheated bourbon distilled at Bernheim, but not the stock that ended up in the VBs and certain Van Winkles.

Bernheim Original is straight wheat whiskey, with a mashbill that is 51% wheat, 39% corn, and 10% malt (approximately); whereas Larceny is wheated bourbon, with a mashbill that is 75% corn, 15% wheat, and 10% malt (approximately).

So, no, Larceny is not Bernheim. They are two completely different kinds of whiskey.

Bernheim Original is straight wheat whiskey, with a mashbill that is 51% wheat, 39% corn, and 10% malt (approximately); whereas Larceny is wheated bourbon, with a mashbill that is 75% corn, 15% wheat, and 10% malt (approximately).

So, no, Larceny is not Bernheim. They are two completely different kinds of whiskey.

I understand. I guess what I am trying to say is that what I taste in VB17 I taste in Larceny...only not as pronounced. I had read that VB17 was "Bernheim distillate" so I was making a comparison based on that info. As per usual, there is far more info regarding that subject than I am in current possession of;).

She's right, they played with this one all the way down to zero.
LoL! Yup, you tend to get a severe lack of rye when wheat is used.

LOL....I knew this would not escape the shrewd bourbon geeks here. :lol:

I understand. I guess what I am trying to say is that what I taste in VB17 I taste in Larceny...only not as pronounced. I had read that VB17 was "Bernheim distillate" so I was making a comparison based on that info. As per usual, there is far more info regarding that subject than I am in current possession of;).

This makes me tremendously interested in trying Larceny when it shows up in the area. I do not care for the flavor profile of the PVW or Weller lines, but I very much like the flavor profile of V17 and enjoyed the bottle of ORVW I had (which I understand was likely Bernheim distillate). If Larceny can act as a little brother to V17, I can have an everyday wheather to enjoy. (Disclaimer: I like Maker's too, but find it a bit overpriced)

A buddy and I put back a bottle this weekend. We were knee-deep in a video game nerd session, so I really didn't have a chance to sit down with the bottle and subject it to a thorough analysis. However, it definitely had an edge to it and didn't share a lot of the softer, feminine qualities I enjoy in other wheaters (OWA, Weller 12, ORVW, etc...). I have to agree that it is more akin to Makers. If you were to pit the two against each other, I'd probably grab the Larceny. However, given the price point (and current rebate), its a no brainer that you'd be better off trying it for yourself rather than depending on my assessment or online reviews.

• 4 weeks later...
A buddy and I put back a bottle this weekend. We were knee-deep in a video game nerd session, so I really didn't have a chance to sit down with the bottle and subject it to a thorough analysis. However, it definitely had an edge to it and didn't share a lot of the softer, feminine qualities I enjoy in other wheaters (OWA, Weller 12, ORVW, etc...). I have to agree that it is more akin to Makers. If you were to pit the two against each other, I'd probably grab the Larceny. However, given the price point (and current rebate), its a no brainer that you'd be better off trying it for yourself rather than depending on my assessment or online reviews.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.