Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

JR1968
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Crow for me. A buddy of mine was grabbing a round of drinks and decided it would be funny to order me one neat. I was not amused but still choked it down

Leaving out a couple obvious bottom shelfers, Wathen's and Angel's Envy. Both taste like Scotch to me, with the Wathen's adding notes of table sugar.

I recall camping with a buddy in my younger days and we just wanted to get drunk. I bought some McCormick's I think it was. It was barely suitable for even that purpose. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure it was bourbon. It was around 15 years ago so it may have contained some GNS. It was awful whatever it was.

Edited by whiskeyagonzo

A DSP-1 OFitz BiB ... had to be bottle variation though since an earlier bottle was fine - but this one was very grassy, herbal, dirty...the scent memory it evoked was fresh lawn clippings. Didn't dump it though, blended it w/ some Maker's, Larceny, and two tablespoons of maple syrup. That did the trick!:grin:

Not really bourbon, but Balcone's Brimstone. It was at a tasting a buddy put together. I couldn't even drink the tasting portion. I know some people love the sutff, to each their own. I thought it tasted like rain water scooped out of a fire pit.

Breaking and Entering comes quickly to mind, as does Rebel Yell. Only two bottles I couldn't finish, even by mingling with something better.

Gran Legacy. Probably a young, bulk whiskey that was bottled for a grocery store chain here. I bought it right after I got into bourbon. I figured what the heck, it was only $16.00 for a handle. Tried a couple of pours three or four times over about a six month period. After the last time I tasted it, down the drain it went. :crazy: Cody Road comes in a very close second though. :puke:

I recently gifted some BT Single Oak Project to my parents for the holidays. I figured it was a good way to make some space in the bunker. Last week they had opened one and I had a small taste of it. Sadly, I could not finish a shot's worth of bourbon. I don't recall the barrel number but now I'm thankful I stopped collecting the SOP bottles. Too expensive and too risky for $50 bucks for a 375ml.

Distilled,aged and distributed all from the depths of hell I believe,pure evil in a bottle.

Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local. I think my hard earned cash will go to a Rare Breed instead.

FWIW I once absolutely struggled through a bottle of Rebel Yell Reserve and the only thing I could think is "If this is the Reserve, what is the standard like?"

The standard version is worst, let me tell 'ya. A shame really, these venerable old brands should've received a dignified funeral instead.

Edited by squire

Reading this thread caused me to reach to the back of the cabinet and pull out the 1 that I would place on the list. No, not bourbon, but rye. Old overholt to be exact. As I currently take a sip, is it as bad as remembered? no. Is it good? No. I wont drink this often, but it isnt like Id have to choke it down. Right now Im having it with a cube. The bottle will eventually be finished in coke. It excites me that the worst tasting (in my opinion) bourbon/rye is still tolerable. Bad bourbons are few and far between. Good bourbons are plentiful.

Ten High blend from a beverage dispenser at a hotel. The server apologized when she dispensed it into the glass. I took a couple of sips and then poured it into a planter.

Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local.

I can't remember the thread, but another member here was inquiring about Cody Road once. The response Vosgar posted was, "Avoid it like the plague."

I can't remember the thread, but another member here was inquiring about Cody Road once. The response Vosgar posted was, "Avoid it like the plague."

I sincerely hope it's gotten better since that batch 1 bottle I bought almost 2 years ago. The distillery is only a couple of hours away from me and I'd really like to see them put out a quality product and do well. They're buying grain locally and doing their own distilling, but they need to age it longer and in standard size barrels, IMHO

Just read the WHOLE thread (baseball can't get here soon enough). I echo what garbonzobean wrote a while back --

One of my local purveyors told me I'd like Pepper 1776 Straight B. I didn't. I finished that bottle but won't drink it again. The only shot I've ever ordered and NOT finished in my 45+ years of bourbon was a neat Black Maple Hill.

Just read the WHOLE thread (baseball can't get here soon enough). I echo what garbonzobean wrote a while back --

One of my local purveyors told me I'd like Pepper 1776 Straight B. I didn't. I finished that bottle but won't drink it again. The only shot I've ever ordered and NOT finished in my 45+ years of bourbon was a neat Black Maple Hill.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.