Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

JR1968
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BTEC Oats

Only bottle I have ended up pouring down the drain after 3 pours.

Awful stuff. No wonder it is still on the shelf.

B

Also- Philadelphia whiskey. I never was under the impression that ten high was all that bad (not good either). It's the same recipe as VOB.

Ever? I'm sure I had some very bad bourbons 40 years or so ago, but I don't specifically recall what they were. And these days, I listen to what others say is awful and avoid it.

Tim

Also- Philadelphia whiskey. I never was under the impression that ten high was all that bad (not good either). It's the same recipe as VOB.

I didn't know that TH was the recipe for VOB. Maybe I'll have to try it again.

Thank you for the information.

JR1968

Can't say. I've had many that I wouldn't buy another bottle of, but I can't say I've tried anything so horrible it couldn't be drunk ....... one way or another. I'd have to say that FR Yellow Label rates up there as one of my most "unfavorites".

I've got a 1975 quart of Bourbon Supreme but have been afraid to try it. The bottle looks nice and it will kill the mystique if it is nasty. I'll pop it one day I guess.

I started a thread a couple of years ago titled "Down The Drain". Pretty close to the same meaning. So, here's what I posted back then. I believe these two pretty much qualify as the worst bourbons I've ever tasted.

I just wondered how many of you have had a bottle of bourbon, (or other spirit) that you ended up pouring down the drain.

Yesterday, I was taking an inventory of my collection, and was cleaning my cabinet a little, and rearranging things. I came across my bottle of Old Crow Reserve. I bought this when it first came out. It tasted "different" the first time I tried it. I've since gone back to it three or four times, and it hadn't gotten any better. Yesterday, I gave it one more try. No dice. I couldn't take it anymore. Down the drain it went. This is only the second time I've ever done that. The other bottle I ended up pouring down the drain, was a bottle of Gran Legacy. A "generic" bourbon sold by CVS pharmacies.

So here are two to start the parade.

Old Crow Reserve

Gran Legacy

I can hardly wait to see what else may have ended up as Draino! Joe

I've only dumped two bourbons, as I find I can usually mix them with ginger ale and bitters to make a decent drink. The first was an older Ten High, 200 ml, which was just mediocre, and didn't mix well with others. The other was a tainted (I hope) JTS Brown 86. It went fine if I was smoking my pipe or cigar, but alone was just funky weird bad, cardboard and dirt.

Old Crow is what I've started using for my aging trials. I feel its only shortcoming is age, but it's quite the major shortcoming.

Old Fitz Prime, Corner Creek, Hudson Baby Bourbon, Beam Old Taylor.

Dishonorable mention: Benchmark, Heaven Hill Gold label, 4 y/o, 80 proof.

Copying my response from a similar thread over at BourbonEnthusiast:

--Jim Beam Black was a huge disappointment, as was Basil Haydn's.

--You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. Then again, I've never had a wheater I like except Cabin Still!

--Echo Spring was pretty boring, but it was only about $8 for the bottle.

--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.

--Eagle Rare 10- Not bad, but it seems to have a really weird flavor profile.

--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).

--Every Scotch or Irish whiskey I've ever had- The barley and peat make them taste like stomach acid to me. I can't even swallow the stuff without a gag reflex. Seriously.

--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!

Knocking the Weller line AND Four Roses in one post? I'm surprised that the SB.com gods didn't smite you before you'd finished typing.

I have it on good autority that his entire collection has been transformed into Special Reserve and Yellow Label.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.