Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

JR1968
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.

Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.

EC18 is a single barrel, plus, I've noticed that air makes quite a difference. I've had great, good, and awful experiences with various bottles.

I just put it down to a bad barrel, the drink may be gone but the memory of the taste is burned in. Every time I open a bottle I pray that it's not like the ec18 I had..

Ancient Ancient Age 10 star. At 6 years and 90 proof I had expectations of something drinkable, but I was wrong. It is the only bourbon I thought belonged down the drain. I would take benchmark any day of the week over Ancient Ancient Age 10 star.

Ancient Ancient Age 10 star. At 6 years and 90 proof I had expectations of something drinkable, but I was wrong. It is the only bourbon I thought belonged down the drain. I would take benchmark any day of the week over Ancient Ancient Age 10 star.

I had a bottle of Very Old Heaven Hill 8 year, 86 proof (a bottom shelfer ubiquitous in Minnesota, and maybe one other market) that was pretty bad. Way too drying and tannic, and tasted like rejected Beam juice (hell, maybe it was, after the fire...) Even at $10 a liter it was bad.

But, I just bought another bottle of it and it's really, really good. Think of the better EC12s (the ones that aren't hot and overwoody) and you've got it. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

The worst bourbon I've had was a bad bottle of Eagle Rare 10. I normally enjoy this whiskey, but this bottle tasted like there was dirt in it.

Jim Beam white. The smell . . . the taste . . . the thought . . . just makes me want to puke. I have tried to drink this multiple times, and I no longer will. The only bourbon that I have ever experienced this with.

Easy...Old Bardstown that tasted like the shit from the horse pictured on the label. I wouldn't even subject my drain to it.

Jim Beam White Label. It's the bourbon that turned me off bourbon when I was about 18. I'm just glad I found my way to great bourbon!

Hi Guy's

This week I went back and got another bottle of Ten High.

Seeing it was one of the first few Bourbon I tried, thinking since I have tried many different Bourbons since then, and maybe it

was my inexperience with Bourbon. Still not crazy about it.

Later,

JR1968

i know its not bourbon but the crown royal black was so nasty i poured it out. And i dont pour anything out

i know its not bourbon but the crown royal black was so nasty i poured it out. And i dont pour anything out

EC18 is a single barrel, plus, I've noticed that air makes quite a difference. I've had great, good, and awful experiences with various bottles.
I just put it down to a bad barrel, the drink may be gone but the memory of the taste is burned in. Every time I open a bottle I pray that it's not like the ec18 I had..

Isn't it the job of the master distiller to make sure that even with barrel variations, that you don't put awful barrels into the mix? It really dilutes the brand value. Maybe that's what they're doing with the 20 year, select fewer barrels for presumably better quality and higher price. Still, I think it's poor practice to have such bottle-to-bottle variation. I dont' hear people saying the same thing about Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms, that there are awful bottlings. Sure some are less good than others, but none have been bad IMO.

Well, here I am with very little experience, but I had a bit of a 200mL bottle of Evan Williams Black label the other day...and it tasted like bourbon mixed with Lysterine. Is this normal for that label?

Isn't it the job of the master distiller to make sure that even with barrel variations, that you don't put awful barrels into the mix? It really dilutes the brand value. Maybe that's what they're doing with the 20 year, select fewer barrels for presumably better quality and higher price. Still, I think it's poor practice to have such bottle-to-bottle variation. I don't' hear people saying the same thing about Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms, that there are awful bottlings. Sure some are less good than others, but none have been bad IMO.

Bottle to bottle variation is the whole fun of doing single barrel bourbons. You're looking for that honey barrel or enjoying the uniqueness of the individual barrels. If you want them all to taste the same drink the mass produced stuff.

Bottle to bottle variation is the whole fun of doing single barrel bourbons. You're looking for that honey barrel or enjoying the uniqueness of the individual barrels. If you want them all to taste the same drink the mass produced stuff.

I know Woodford has it's fans, but I bought a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked the first time I saw it on a shelf, and it was just not good. All I got out of it was bitterness and astringency. I tried it neat, on ice, with water, in cocktails . . . I even tried to finish the bottle off one Sunday by pouring with Coke and I couldn't do it. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I think that's just what it tastes like. Of all the bottles I've bought, it's the only one that I feel a "fool (me) got parted from his money."

Hudson Baby Bourbon. They had PVW 20 on the menu but had run out. The bartender said the closest thing they had was Hudson Baby Bourbon. Boy was she wrong. Tasted like tequila to me. She gave me a refund.

Hudson Baby Bourbon. They had PVW 20 on the menu but had run out. The bartender said the closest thing they had was Hudson Baby Bourbon. Boy was she wrong. Tasted like tequila to me. She gave me a refund.

LOL! Clearly a 3 month old bourbon is the closest thing to Pappy 20. What a great bartender!

That's the funniest damn thing I've read all week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.