George Dickel

Graal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you. I had my first bottle of GD12 this year and when I finished it, I bought another. I suggest you do the same before you miss out on that $12 deal! I also agree about the scotch. The only scotch I can remember liking was auchentashen and I liked it because I thought it tasted like bourbon. what does that tell you? :cool:
Edited by kaiserhog

I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive.

I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive.
That is terrible. Are all American Whiskies that expensive? Dickel is one of the most reasonably prices whiskies here in the States.

Never tried it. I don't like Jack at all, so I just naturally figured they were pretty similar.

#12 is now on my list. I have heard good things about their Rye too.

Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me. Never cared for JW Black all that much for that reason.

There are a lot of very good scotches out there that have little or no peat flavor in them.

Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me

YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf.

Peat flavor in scotch whisky (not all of them have it) is just one of those accidents of history that is now done intentionally in order to maintain a flavor profile. No reason why we should have to train ourselves to like it through.

YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf.

I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.

I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.

That should read.... "I like bourbon infinitely better."

"Better" is a very subjective term. I would guess there are many whisk(e)y fans that feel the opposite way you do. Just sayin'. :cool:

Some of my best friends drink peatey scotch but I respect them anyway.

Some people love chewing on band aids too.

Let them, I always say, let them.

I have friends on this very board who love heavily peated scotch... which is one of the reasons I have to bag on scotch every now and then! ;)

Planning to pick up a bottle of the #12 this evening.

Will post some brief notes of my first impression of it, if I have time.

I like Bourbon, rye, Irish, Scotch (both heavily peated and otherwise), Cognac, Armagnac and añejo tequila.

I guess . . . if it's brown, I'm down!

My palate seems to go through phases. Sometimes I don't drink Scotch for months at a time, but when it sounds good, it usually tastes good. I rarely go more than 3-4 days without Bourbon, the others are all less consistent. I think variety is important to keep from getting stale or burned out.

picked up some George Dickel Barrel Select today for $36, pretty much exactly the same price as JD single barrel. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. I liked Dickel #8, so I have high expectations for the barrel select.

I had both the #12 and the rye the other night and I think they are both fantastic, especially considering what I paid for them.

The bourbon is softer and has more subtle flavors than the rye, which is more "in your face" but I like them equally well.

• 1 month later...
This is really tasty, good whiskey. Straight Bit-O-Honey! Sorry it took me until now to try it.

Just taking my first sip of this tonight and the Bit O' Honey description is spot on. Great sipper for a changup from the "regulars"

Just now polishing off the George Dickel Barrel Select I bought about a month ago. I really think it got better the longer the bottle was open.

• 4 weeks later...
This is really tasty, good whiskey. Straight Bit-O-Honey! Sorry it took me until now to try it.

Great call on the Bit-O-Honey! Hitting on the #12 tonight, and while the vitamin is still there, the B-O-H note you detected is definitely there. Nice sweet note to this whiskey.

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.