George Dickel

Graal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Would very much like to get down to Cascade Hollow one of these days. Think ill make a point of it next year.

How many stories was that warehouse kaiser?
I've toured the distillery a couple of times and they are one story rickhouses

I got that from a conversation with Dave Backus about 25 years ago but didn't know if it was still in practice. If Diageo decides to promote the uniqueness of the brand I think Scottish style aging houses would be an interesting angle.

I got that from a conversation with Dave Backus about 25 years ago but didn't know if it was still in practice. If Diageo decides to promote the uniqueness of the brand I think Scottish style aging houses would be an interesting angle.
Would square very nicely with their spelling of Whisky.

Possible brand extension promoting George Dickel's brother, Glen Dickel...??? Ba da bom, pssssssshhh...:falling:

As they say in the Guinness commercial: Brilliant!!!

According to the Brand Ambassador we met with last night .. they are one story, stone .. barrels stacked 6 high in the warehouses. He insists they are all stone .. while the web site FAQ says metal clad. Perhaps that's metal roof.

And they could drop another "e" .. Gorg Dickl .. for the Scottish approach

:rolleyes: ..

I remember the warehouse being stone and thought the barrels were stacked five high but no recollection of the roof. Slate would be nice.

I remember the warehouse being stone and thought the barrels were stacked five high but no recollection of the roof. Slate would be nice.
I honestly don't remember (only 4 months ago, getting old). The distillery is in the most gorgeous setting you will find anywhere. The distillery itself is a time capsule.

I approached this backwards. I had never had any TN whiskey at all, as it is all sub 100 proof. When I saw the 9/103 Dickel, I debated and debated (I find that I really enjoy things that are 6-9 years old and over 100 proof, so everything I see in that category, I make a point to try) and eventually walked out with it. I like it very well, but the lingering aftertaste is it's greatest asset to me. Now, I have to try the Dickel 12 and see for myself what that's like.

• 4 weeks later...

Any of you Atl members seeing the GD9 or 14 on the shelves yet? When ask about it with my dealers all I get is a dumb look.

The GD 9 & 14 both appeared at my NoTex store this week, on a nice barrel head display. The manager mentioned it to me almost as an afterthought, after highlighting the arrival of more PHC PoH, and possible arrival of more Stagg Jr. I took a GD 9 home, opened it, had three pours, and was surprised at how different it is from anything else I've had: smooth for the proof, but with a very noticeable aftertaste--I believe someone described it as sort of gravelly or mineral-y, and that matches what I found last night. Definitely distinctive, though not a bottle I'll likely buy another of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to procure a bottle of the 14 yr through a friend traveling. Can't wait to try it when he gets back. Heard nothing but good things.

I have seen a lot of posts about Dickel lately and it is on sale in Oregon this month so I brought a bottle home with me.

Not liking the first pour out of the bottle. Not liking it at all. I don't get "flintstones" out of it as much as straight-up multivitamin. Hope it will grow on me.

Edited by p_elliott

I have seen a lot of posts about Dickel lately and it is on sale in Oregon this month so I brought a bottle home with me.

Not liking the first pour out of the bottle. Not liking it at all. I don't get "flintstones" out of it as much as straight-up multivitamin. Hope it will grow on me.

which one did you get......they have at least 6 different bottlings. the 9 year/103 proof is quite good, but the Dickel 12 is similar, just lacking in proof. I havent had the Dickl 8 or the barrel select, and the 14 year is a bit more than I want to spend.

Edited by p_elliott

George 12. I like it better now that I'm not having it side-by-side with other things, I will say. I get more than just pure multivitamin this time around.

Edited by p_elliott

George 12. I like it better now that I'm not having it side-by-side with other things, I will say. I get more than just pure multivitamin this time around.
Edited by p_elliott

i think the 'vitamin' taste that people talk about (i dont get the whole 'vitamins' thing) is a good taste the Dickel has. It sure is unique, and clearly sets itself apart from bourbon, but I like it.

Like you though, the first fet sips I was unsure about. A few drinks into the bottle and now I love that profile.

Edited by p_elliott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.