George Dickel

Graal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I read the whiskey advocate article on dickel this weekend. So since they are hand operated still, which makes a big difference in how the whiskey tastes, I tasted from current day dickel white, all the way back through samples from the sixties. Amazing how they have kept the flavor dead on all these years. You cannot say that about any other distillery I know of.

Just curious. Does anyone know the age of Dickel No. 12? I think that it is clear that the number 12 does not relate to age. However, I have seen a few bloggers/reviewers state it as such. The most credible number seems to be something over 4 years but less than 10 years.

That guess is as good as any. If the contents was indeed 12 years old they would proudly proclaim the fact.

Years ago I asked David Backus and he said the No. 12 was aged 7-8 years on average but could have some older whisky as well.

I recall back in the 70s the No. 12 had a 5 year age statement on the back label.

Backus told me the same thing.

Speaking of Dickel, did they discontinue the red label 3-year-old that they introduced during the Great Dickel Drought? I noticed some recent group ads that feature No. 8, No. 12, and single barrel only.

Backus told me the same thing.

Speaking of Dickel, did they discontinue the red label 3-year-old that they introduced during the Great Dickel Drought? I noticed some recent group ads that feature No. 8, No. 12, and single barrel only.

A Diageo Whikey Ambassador ( or something like that) that I saw at an Irish tasting said that they did discontinue it.

Now it will be offered as 'rare' and 'collectable' because it's no longer available.

Been to their distillery a couple of times. It's worth the tour, small, almost a craft type. they don't distill the rye, it comes from IN

It is a neat place to tour, if I ever get back there I plan to cast my flyrod on Cascade Creek.

This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.

Hey RT, welcome aboard. 106 proof gets my attention, some tasting notes please.

Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.

Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.
Edited by ChainWhip

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've actually been reading this board for a few years. I finally decided to join in on the fun. I got home this afternoon and picked up my bottle of George Dickel Hand Selected Barrel. This is like I said from the first barrel and only sold at the distillery, after you pick your bottle out you get to sign the barrel. Comes in the Barrel Select bottle with different labels of course stating the lines name, that it is aged 14 yrs, and bottled at 106 proof and a bronze medallion.

Nose - Not overly alcoholic for the proof, I got lots of vanilla, some maple syrup, and oaky... Corn is gone.

Taste - Starts really light picks up fast though with lots of Oak, some apricot, I detect a little cinnamon as it warms, the oak stays with it then as it is fading out it's all butterscotch, and vanilla. Very smooth.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first pour of this. It's expensive though so I'm going to try to take my time and savor this. I've been waiting and hoping Dickel would release something like this. Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

After sitting back and having a generous pour tonight of this. I feel like I know this one better. Still light at entry, mid it will give sides of your tongue a bit of a burn, smooth going down with very little burn at all. Flavors still that stand out to me vanilla, lots of oak, then butterscotch. This is damn good whisky. It's currently $98 a bottle wish it were cheaper I'd drink this over #12 any day.

Thx RTR15 - I'm hoping to make it down there one of these days to score my own bottle.

Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow

Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow

This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.

Thanks for the intel, RTR. She doesn't know this yet, but my good customer in Nashville will be seeing me very soon...:D There is supposed to be a 9 yr 103 proof coming, too. Did you see or hear anything about that one?

:toast:

Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.

Now how close does this one come to answering the . . . 'what they should be doing' . . . threads.

Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.

Please keep me posted, so I know when to reschedule my call on my Nashville customer...:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.