George Dickel

Graal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In that case, I'll stick with bourbon.

Anti-dickel, pro-GMO.

Second thoughts about your BFF status here Petey!

Opened a bottle of GD12 last night an enjoyed a couple of pours. The initial nose reminded us of the distillery tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a stop at he Dickel Distillery today. Enjoyed the tour but unfortunately they weren't operational as they were doing some cleaning and maintenance.

Gift Shop had the new corn whisky but I passed. They also noted they were out of the Single barrel 14yo in the Gift Shop and that all current barrels were now spoken for. The 9yo was going for the princely sum of $98.99. Seemed a wee bit steep making me wish I had picked up one in Nashville where it was only $39.99! Same store had the 14yo as well but don't recall the price.

Decided to pass on everything at the GS as a result.

post-8493-14489820469335_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820469099_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All the talk lately is these single barrels, but I went back to the regular old Barrel Select this past week and was mighty impressed, especially with the nose. Just gorgeous. It's a solid choice in the $40 range. Also tried the new white corn whisky, which is pleasant for the genre, but not necessarily my cup o tea.

Thoughts and tasting notes over on Thirsty South

I do like the Barrel Select and it's something I recommend but I prefer the brighter style and higher proof of No. 12.

I do like the Barrel Select and it's something I recommend but I prefer the brighter style and higher proof of No. 12.
Me too. Absolutely, there is more flavor, at least to me, in No. 12. That said the Barrel Select is a fine whiskey.

This one's for you Doug.

I was at the Binny's get together yesterday. One of the magic carts included a bottle of their 14 year old Dickle Barrel Select SB. I made it a point to try it. I have to admit that it caught me a little bit off guard. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting very much. While the chalky, vitamin taste was still present to me, it was very well balanced, and offset by a nice pleasant sweetness. Very reminiscent of something wheated. It was all in all a very pleasant surprise. I wish they had bought a barrel of the 9 year old too. It would have been nice to compare the two. I almost bought a bottle, but the price point was just a bit too much for me to justify. I opted for a FR's SB instead.

Cheers! Joe

This one's for you Doug.

I was at the Binny's get together yesterday. One of the magic carts included a bottle of their 14 year old Dickle Barrel Select SB. I made it a point to try it. I have to admit that it caught me a little bit off guard. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting very much. While the chalky, vitamin taste was still present to me, it was very well balanced, and offset by a nice pleasant sweetness. Very reminiscent of something wheated. It was all in all a very pleasant surprise. I wish they had bought a barrel of the 9 year old too. It would have been nice to compare the two. I almost bought a bottle, but the price point was just a bit too much for me to justify. I opted for a FR's SB instead.

Cheers! Joe

thanks for the notes! I havent seen any 14 year here, they vanished as soon as they hit the shelves it seemed. at $65, I doubt Id buy one anyway, you know how I am with $50+ whiskey! But, Id love to try it.

what's a Binny's magic cart?

what's a Binny's magic cart?

Here's a couple of pics from past get togethers.

post-3455-14489820544464_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489820543878_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of pics from past get togethers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17875[/ATTACH]

so the 'magic cart' is full of sampling bottles?

That's what it is all right. Different stuff each time. Those pics were from smaller get togethers. Joe pulled out two carts for us Saturday. Some folks will bring some pretty nice bottles to share, and if there's anything left in them, they'll donate them to the cart. In doing that, even more folks might get the chance to taste something they've never had before.

At the KBF a few years ago, one member gifted me over half of a 750 of pre-pro Old Crow. I brought it along with me to the next Binny's get together. I ended up donating it to the cart. From what I heard, it was in the cart for a while, and quite a few folks got the chance to try it. That's what it's all about.

• 4 weeks later...

So what is it that gives Dickel 12 that mineral or "vitamin" taste. I like Dickel 12 but that is a taste not found in JD at all..

Does the yeast interacting with the wood cause it? Because the white corn whiskey doesn't have that flavor

The yeast would be long gone after distillation and not be alive to interact with the barrel.

The yeast would be long gone after distillation and not be alive to interact with the barrel.

Yeast may be gone, but the flavor of the yeast can certainly persist in a whiskey (see Four Roses, or High West Silver OMG) - whether unaged or aged. To VAGentleman's point, if yeast is imparting flavor to the whiskey, it's likely to be more pronounced in an unaged whiskey than it is in an aged whiskey where the wood would start to exert more influence.

Does the yeast interacting with the wood cause it? Because the white corn whiskey doesn't have that flavor

I didn't know that.

• 2 weeks later...

Every few years I buy a bottle (the No. 12, this time) and am very pleased with the current purchase. The texture is silky soft, no burn and like a good brandy. The taste is vanilla-driven, with butterscotch and light distillery flavours. Just a touch of the trademark vitamins, which I'm good with at this level. Impressive and an excellent value.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.