What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hopslam, hibernation ale, rumble, Sam Adams noble pils, Sam Adams IPA, Old 21 and a pint of miller lite. Now to go post in the what bourbon are you drinking forum. Going to be a rough morning.

Mike

Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!

Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!

Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)

Not a fan if the bluegrass brewing stout myself.

Mike

Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)

"Dogwater"...good one. Like you, it was my first really bad barrel aged stout.

Finishing my last bottle of SA Winter Lager. As in years past, I have enjoyed drinking this one over the Winter months. Though I'll look, I don't expect to find much more, because to my surprise, I saw a display for the Alpine Spring seasonal at the store the other day. Mid-January? Really, y'all? At this rate, we're going to see the four major SA Seasonals released just twice per year...Strictly on the principle of the thing, I will not drink the Alpine Spring until March 1...or a 72 degree sunny day in latish February...I never said my principles were unassailable...:D

Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.

Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.

The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.

The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.

Have you had Velvet Merkin, the barrel-aged Merlin? Outstanding. I only had a sip of it at FOBAB, but look forward to the promised wider distro this year (though I don't know if it will be bottled). I'm a huge fan of the FW anniversary beers (gotta love a beer that comes with the beer equivalent of an MSDS), Abacus/Sucaba and Parabola. Got a few of each squirreled away in the basement laundry room, er, "cellar." :)

Have you had Velvet Merkin, the barrel-aged Merlin? Outstanding. I only had a sip of it at FOBAB, but look forward to the promised wider distro this year (though I don't know if it will be bottled). I'm a huge fan of the FW anniversary beers (gotta love a beer that comes with the beer equivalent of an MSDS), Abacus/Sucaba and Parabola. Got a few of each squirreled away in the basement laundry room, er, "cellar." :)

I did get to try the Merkin a couple of times on draft. As you mentioned, it's outstanding. They haven't bottled it in the past but should be doing so for the first time in September. I hope "Sticky Monkey" gets bottled next.

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig.

I really like that one, E. My favorite of the SA Holiday Sampler.

Another Southern Tier 2XIPA for me, tonight. Still loving this beer. :yum:

Finally finishing off a Dogfish Head 120 IPA that I opened days ago. I don't understand the hate for this brew. It's very good. Syrupy and sweet from the heavy malt used to balance out the hops. The citrus fruity flavors from the hops are apparent without being very bitter at all. Pretty much what I have noticed with DFH 60 and 90. They do the hops right without tasting like you've swallowed a couple BC powders. Great dessert beer to be split between a few friends. It's good cold or warm.

A week or so ago Dawn and I were excited to see a local pub had Hopslam on tap. We ventured out with great anticipation. Purchased a couple of pints and we were both disappointed. The balance seemed off for Hopslam. I decided to give it another chance when it showed up in bottles at the local liquor store and found the bottles to be nothing like the draft we had. Hopslam was Hopslam again! Must of been something up at the pub.

This weekend in Indy Flat 12 will serve Pappy 23 Imperial Stout at a local festival. Yes, aged in Pappy 23 barrels to further promote the Pappy craze.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why, Double Daisy Cutter, of course! One week old! My favorite beer made in Chicago. They keep all the hops up front and on the palate, and spare you the bitter finish. Very well done!

epa8u7y2.jpg

Just a single Hopslam tonight. Really not sure I can drink more than one of these cause they're so rich.

Opened up a couple bottles of Chimay red and blue labels that were in the fridge for the past year. Chimay was the first non budweiser type beer I ever had when I turned 21. Still as good today as it was then.

Why, Double Daisy Cutter, of course! One week old! My favorite beer made in Chicago. They keep all the hops up front and on the palate, and spare you the bitter finish. Very well done!

epa8u7y2.jpg

Had a (large) bottle of Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon Russian Imperial Stout. Tasty stuff that packs a pretty good punch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!