So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

I really like cigars but since I quit smoking cigarettes about 2.5 years ago I find that smoking a cigar is a slippery slope that makes me crave cigarettes. Regardless, I took the advice of a buddy who told me to go get some Flor de las Antillas Toro cigars, and I obliged. Now the question is what bourbon should I pair it with tonight in cold Lexington, Kentucky. Any recommendations?

The Flor de las Antilles is a nice cigar. Not sure about #1 in the world as ranked by Cigar Aficionado but it's good. I find the flavors to be creamy and nutty but on the lighter side. I would pair it with a relatively light bourbon. Maybe a nice wheater. Larceny, something like that.

The Flor de las Antilles is a nice cigar. Not sure about #1 in the world as ranked by Cigar Aficionado but it's good. I find the flavors to be creamy and nutty but on the lighter side. I would pair it with a relatively light bourbon. Maybe a nice wheater. Larceny, something like that.

I would agree with this. Something light would be good

I really like cigars but since I quit smoking cigarettes about 2.5 years ago I find that smoking a cigar is a slippery slope that makes me crave cigarettes. Regardless, I took the advice of a buddy who told me to go get some Flor de las Antillas Toro cigars, and I obliged. Now the question is what bourbon should I pair it with tonight in cold Lexington, Kentucky. Any recommendations?

Well, I was a heavy cigarette smoker for more than 12 years and have quit for over 12 years before picking up cigar smoking. It hasn't made me crave any cigarettes yet but I try to limit even my cigar consumption. Cigar smoking is a slippery slope by itself. Once you start reading the respective forums, your cigar numbers will grow quickly just like bourbon and it can actually get pretty pricey pretty quick.

Well, I was a heavy cigarette smoker for more than 12 years and have quit for over 12 years before picking up cigar smoking. It hasn't made me crave any cigarettes yet but I try to limit even my cigar consumption. Cigar smoking is a slippery slope by itself. Once you start reading the respective forums, your cigar numbers will grow quickly just like bourbon and it can actually get pretty pricey pretty quick.

Agreed with the 'cigar slope' in relation to other cigars. I started with a tiny 50ct humidor. I quickly moved on to a "huge" 150ct and man, I was set! Then I added a 300ct and I was in business!! Then a tupperdor. And now, a full sized cabinet and smaller wineador (wine fridge conversion). It's a dangerous game!

I also used to smoke cigarettes in college (but only when I was drinking, which was basically every night), and did on occasion afterward, but cigars totally turned me off of cigarettes. Once you taste quality tobacco it's tough to consume anything else, though I do realize cigarettes are more about the 'fix' than the flavors.

RP 1990 Vintage torpedo out on the front porch on this absurdly warm evening. I know what's comin', so I'll enjoy this balminess one more time, before the yuk that most everyone else is experiencing makes its way here, to the Peach State.

I ended up going with WT old no 8 brand. The cigar was great and I had to fill up my glass 3 times bc of how cold it is and how long the cigar lasted.

I ended up going with WT old no 8 brand. The cigar was great and I had to fill up my glass 3 times bc of how cold it is and how long the cigar lasted.

Ultimately, any good bourbon goes well with any good cigar! I got to try some 1960s WT 8 year old the other night, awesome stuff!

EPC Short Run 2011 and some Parker's Heritage Collection "Promise of Hope (top), Rock Hill Farms (bottom). urenaja6.jpg

Coming from cigarettes, the duration of a cigar was the toughest thing to get used to. I have the tendency to want to keep puffing and want to rush to be done with the cigar. That's when I get in trouble with feeling the nic at the end. I have found that the smaller shorter sticks to be enjoyable initially and they still are. I find that I still don't have the patience to spend an hour sometimes almost two with a cigar.

Coming from cigarettes, the duration of a cigar was the toughest thing to get used to. I have the tendency to want to keep puffing and want to rush to be done with the cigar. That's when I get in trouble with feeling the nic at the end. I have found that the smaller shorter sticks to be enjoyable initially and they still are. I find that I still don't have the patience to spend an hour sometimes almost two with a cigar.

I love small cigars for that very reason. They don't take as long to smoke, and you can always just smoke another. I would rather smoke two different smaller cigars than one big one.

I love small cigars for that very reason. They don't take as long to smoke, and you can always just smoke another. I would rather smoke two different smaller cigars than one big one.

What smaller cigars do you like? I have been really enjoying the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva, regular petite, and the petite reserva. Obviously the Hemingway Short Story is always a good one.

I've heard that Rosa Cuba Angels are really for for what they are as well but I have not tried them.

I had to check that wasn't my post, when I saw it. Couldn't agree more!

I like coronas, petit coronas, corona gordos, and my fav, Lonsdales. I've gotten to the point where

a 50 ring is my max, and prefer 44's and 46's.

I had to check that wasn't my post, when I saw it. Couldn't agree more!

I like coronas, petit coronas, corona gordos, and my fav, Lonsdales. I've gotten to the point where

a 50 ring is my max, and prefer 44's and 46's.

Completely agree with everything you said, too.

La Palina El Diario KB and some Big Bottom Port Finished bourbon.

eqy3e4yz.jpg

I have a KB resting in my humidor. How do you like these? I have not tried one of these.

I have a KB resting in my humidor. How do you like these? I have not tried one of these.

I like them quite a bit. A little pricey so I dont reach for them often, but the flavors are nice. Cedar, dark chocolate, and almost a berry sweetness at times. Based on value I can't recommend these as a 'must buy', but removing price from the equation they're very enjoyable.

I'm likin' the shape! Looks a little bit, uh, "rustic"?

Lol, yeah, the J.Fuego original is interesting. Both ends open, totally rolled by hand. I REALLY like this vitola. Simple, no fuss.

I'm likin' the shape! Looks a little bit, uh, "rustic"?

That's what I was about to say. Took the word out of my mouth! Rustic indeed.

You have QUITE the eclectic tastes there, my friend. Lots of boutique stuff. May I ask

where you buy from?