Seattle and Washington Area Thread

dementedavenger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley - had a good chat and couple of interesting facts that were news to me (may not be news to you):

- Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is being discontinued

- Saz18 has about a year or so left before being switched over to BT distillate (will remain at current proof)

- Sazerac is getting into the China market in more ways than I thought... Apparently, Mao Tai is a part of that strategy

- BT is making 10x's the rye today than they were 4 years ago

- They liked the French Oak experiment enough to continue it (they have about 40 barrels purchased for this aging)

And something not news to me is that it's always fun to geek out about whisky - it was great to meet BT's Master Distiller in person and he was was gracious in answering my questions.

Ugh. Oh well may grab one or two AAAs this wknd. If they're not already gone by then.

Good to know a timetable on the Saz18. Ditto obv getting that if and when ya can.

Anybody want to go to the SMWSA Extravaganza on Friday? (11/8)

Wish I could, but had conflicting plans a long time ago. Assuming you are going, I look forward to hearing your summary of the event. :)

Wish I could, but had conflicting plans a long time ago. Assuming you are going, I look forward to hearing your summary of the event. :)

Actually, the wife booked childcare and date night so I'm doing something else too

Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley.

I had a similar experience talking to Harlen at the Flat Iron Grill whisky paired dinner on Wednesday. Friendly guy to talk to, very knowledgeable and a great representative for the business. I also heard about AAA 10 year being discontinued, asked the same question about Saz18 and got the same answer, and got the impression that the Van Winkle products are more BT controlled than JVW advertises and others may want to believe.

He said this is his 3rd visit to the Seattle market. I hope it was successful enough that he makes the trip more often in the future. And now I want to meet Jim Rutledge! :)

• 1 month later...

It's official, the Weller shortage has come to Washington.

I was at Total Wine in Bellevue today and noticed the Weller 12 was missing from the shelf, and only 2 bottles of OWA. I asked an employee who looked up stock on Weller 12 and said that only 4 bottles were available in the entire state (Vancouver and Spokane), and only a little more of OWA. Both SKUs had an ETA of March 2014 for new stock, and Total Wine is surprisingly accurate with their ETA, at least in Washington State.

BevMo doesn't stock any Weller products and I haven't seen it at any other popular liquor stores, so as far as I know TW is our only (reasonable) source for Weller products. Glad I have a deep bunker on both!

Clearview was blowing out WSR at a good price but their W12 price was on the ridiculous end of the pricing spectrum.

Edited by ChainWhip

New Seattle area member here. I've noticed the same: the Weller products that most like to compare to the Van Winkle products are suddenly in short supply. They were in stock just a couple weeks ago, but suddenly are not any longer.

Clearview was blowing out WSR at a good price but their W12 price was on the ridiculous end of the pricing spectrum.

I'm guessing you know why their pricing is like that...

Seen on the shelves this afternoon at Met Market in Lower Queen Anne: Elijah Craig 21-Year Single Barrel for $231.77 and Parker's Heritage Collection #7 Promise of Hope for $153.44. Both prices include taxes.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Well, someone needs to be shot for those prices. :)

I like Met Market but they are pretty low on the totem pole so they pay significantly more than the tier 1 retailers. I'm not surprised, and props to them for stocking allocated products at all.

• 1 month later...

I'm firing this up again... If anyone in the Seattle area is looking for ECBP (133.2-proof) drop me a message. I saw 6 on the shelf somewhere today. With taxes it's $60 and change.

If anyone is interested, two bottles of Lot 40 (2012) showed up in the locked case at BevMo! in Ballard (that's where the ECBP was and it was gone as of Friday). They're $58.99 before taxes, so you're looking at ~$74.00. This is the first time I've seen Lot 40 on the shelves. I know it's a Canadian whiskey but quite a few bourbon/rye folks seem to think highly of it.

I ended up ordering some from Caskers because it was a bit less expensive, especially without the tax.

I know where a few bottles of Weller 12 are for a reasonable price (under $30) in the Seattle area. PM if you're interested.

I know where a few bottles of Weller 12 are for a reasonable price (under $30) in the Seattle area. PM if you're interested.

Was just about to post the same thing.

I saw more ECBP 134.2-proof on the shelf yesterday. It's ~$60 after taxes. PM me if you need to know.

I also found both of those today. The Weller 12 is going fast or is already gone at the two places I visited.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.