Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like this one hit the Phoenix area over the weekend. I had to work so I wasn't able to rush out for one. No worries - there's still one waiting in the bunker after I finish the one on the shelf :)

On 6/27/2017 at 4:19 AM, mosugoji64 said:

Looks like this one hit the Phoenix area over the weekend. I had to work so I wasn't able to rush out for one. No worries - there's still one waiting in the bunker after I finish the one on the shelf :)

I am sure B517 has hit the Indy area.  My connections aren't as strong as they once were and I am certain it won't hit the shelves.  Hopefully, there will be a second wave that I can find in an out of town location where I typically find it on the shelf.

I finally got around to opening the bottle of A117 I picked up at the end of May.  I poured a small sample (1/2 oz) neat to get a sense of the nose and taste.  To be honest, I found the nose to be a little weak.  I rarely drink any whiskey above 110 proof so my tasting notes are based on it being proofed down to about 108.  The nose opened up with a little water.  I noticed a mild cherry scent, which I find in many EC products, along with tobacco.  The neat sample was very astringent but transitioned into a strong oaky, leathery tobacco taste.  Not as offensive as it might sound but also not my favorite profile, especially so overriding over other flavors.  The proofed down pour (2 oz) still had a hint of strong alcohol, but with a slightly muted oak.  I also picked up some spice, not necessarily baking spice or peppery spice.  This reminds me of an amped up version of the old EC12 bottles, a little heavy on the wood with a hint of tobacco and cherry.  I prefer a little sweeter profile but I am sure I will find the sweet spot proofing this down.  Sometimes, playing around with a whiskey to improve the nose and flavor is part of the fun.  This seems like one of those bottles.  But, hey, it is just a first pour.  I have had several versions of ECBP.  This one reminds me of a slightly lighter version of Batch #1 which was among my least favorites.  However, I ultimately found a sweet spot with that Batch and enjoyed it in the end.   We are talking ECBP so even a lower tier ECBP is better than many whiskeys provided the price is fair.  

Would I buy another?  Maybe.  If I see it and the price is right ($50-55), yes.  I paid $69 (which was high but I hadn't seen any on the shelf).  I later saw it for $62.  If I see an older version, I would be willing to pay maybe $10 more.  If I see B517, I would also pay $10-15 more just for the experience.

If anyone from the Minnesota area knows of any B517 on the shelves anywhere could you please shoot me a message. I want to make sure I don't miss out on this batch.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stumbled across a lone A117 on a local shelf today and brought it home. Compared immediately with a batch 11 (139.4) that's been opened for several months. 

New stuff compares better than a lot of people seem to be giving it credit for. A117 is brighter baking spice and wood compared to a richer, dark fruit batch 11. But truthfully, anyone not obsessed with ECBP's numerous releases is going to enjoy these newer batches just as well. I paid $69 and have no regrets.

I have seen on a Facebook group a new bottle 131.2 proof. Seems like a quick turn around for a new batch. 

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

I have seen on a Facebook group a new bottle 131.2 proof. Seems like a quick turn around for a new batch. 

Wow. The B517 hasn't even made it into VA yet. 

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Wow. The B517 hasn't even made it into VA yet. 

I haven't even seen the A batch yet here in Washington State.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I haven't even seen the A batch yet here in Washington State.

Well we got those about a month ago and there are actually a few still available.

I snagged a B517 here in town a few weeks ago.  Really great pour I think.  

On 7/3/2017 at 9:25 PM, JoeTerp said:

Well we got those about a month ago and there are actually a few still available.

We'll get it eventually. We're generally the last ones to get new releases. I''m still seeing the 136 proof version in the old bottle style here.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:01 PM, Auracom said:

I stumbled across a lone A117 on a local shelf today and brought it home. Compared immediately with a batch 11 (139.4) that's been opened for several months. 

New stuff compares better than a lot of people seem to be giving it credit for. A117 is brighter baking spice and wood compared to a richer, dark fruit batch 11. But truthfully, anyone not obsessed with ECBP's numerous releases is going to enjoy these newer batches just as well. I paid $69 and have no regrets.

Just did a blind sbs of A117 & B517. I preferred A117. It was more complex and had less heat at a higher proof IMO. Surprised by the negative reviews.  I always like to taste blind as it usually tells the truth. 

2 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Just did a blind sbs of A117 & B517. I preferred A117. It was more complex and had less heat at a higher proof IMO. Surprised by the negative reviews.  I always like to taste blind as it usually tells the truth. 

15 minutes later did another blind sbs to test myself...sams results,   B517 had way more astringency and heat.  The A117 more balanced with a nice hot chocolate flavor.  Wish I had picked up more.

Was pleasantly surprised to walk into a TW tonight and find several bottles of A117 sitting on the shelf. Of course, I grabbed one. First time I've seen any on the shelf around here. The last one I acquired was a special request. I don't know if that means supplies are beefing up or if we just got lucky this time around. Whatever the case, I'm pleased!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 3:03 AM, mosugoji64 said:

Was pleasantly surprised to walk into a TW tonight and find several bottles of A117 sitting on the shelf. Of course, I grabbed one. First time I've seen any on the shelf around here. The last one I acquired was a special request. I don't know if that means supplies are beefing up or if we just got lucky this time around. Whatever the case, I'm pleased!

I guess distribution of A117 is just now hitting the west and southwest. I stumbled across a bottle mis-stocked in the regular ECNAS shelf spot at a local BevMo. The store typically keeps the barrel proof/super-premiums either in the locked glass case, or what they refer to as "the vault" in the back room (never been back there, so I have no idea if there is an actual vault, but my imagination has me thinking of a shiny, gleaming bank vault loaded with rare booze). Shelving errors happen once in a while at this store, and the manager has always been upfront about offering me the mis-shelved bottle at the shelf-labeled price. I didn't argue about getting this ECBP for the regular ECNAS price of $30.99. Last year, same store, I got a JDBP Single Barrel for the price of a standard JD Single Barrel for the same reason. Store manager was pissed off both times at their employees for stocking the high-end stuff on the main floor, but I hope management didn't take it out on the staff.

IMG_0593.jpg

I haven't seen the B517 batch around here yet, but have managed to pick up a couple bottles of A117, but haven't tried that batch yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, Conquistador said:

I guess distribution of A117 is just now hitting the west and southwest. I stumbled across a bottle mis-stocked in the regular ECNAS shelf spot at a local BevMo. The store typically keeps the barrel proof/super-premiums either in the locked glass case, or what they refer to as "the vault" in the back room (never been back there, so I have no idea if there is an actual vault, but my imagination has me thinking of a shiny, gleaming bank vault loaded with rare booze). Shelving errors happen once in a while at this store, and the manager has always been upfront about offering me the mis-shelved bottle at the shelf-labeled price. I didn't argue about getting this ECBP for the regular ECNAS price of $30.99. Last year, same store, I got a JDBP Single Barrel for the price of a standard JD Single Barrel for the same reason. Store manager was pissed off both times at their employees for stocking the high-end stuff on the main floor, but I hope management didn't take it out on the staff.

IMG_0593.jpg

Interesting, batch A117 hit SF at least a month ago. BevMo's distribution timelines differ from other stores somehow, though. I've never quite figured out why, but they always receive the limited editions at different times than non-chain stores around here.

I hit the A117 again tonight with a couple of solid pours.  I am heading on the road tomorrow and the place I am heading had several on the shelf during my last visit.  I am hoping to find a B517 while I am up there but if I can't find one then I would be ok with getting another A117.   I have found the sweet spot with this one around 110 proof.  It is not one of the  best of the ECBPs that I have had but I am not certain it is the worst.  

Just picked up the new B517 so will be time to run it up against the A117 to see if it fares any better. The A117 was OK but proved to be a poor match for the original batch of ECBP. Then again most things are a poor match against the original batch of ECBP.

38 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just picked up the new B517 so will be time to run it up against the A117 to see if it fares any better. The A117 was OK but proved to be a poor match for the original batch of ECBP. Then again most things are a poor match against the original batch of ECBP.

By "original batch" are you referring to batch 1 or just anything before A117? I've had batches 9, 10, 11, and 12 and A117 was definitely a poor match to those..especially 12.  Haven't tried B517 yet.

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

By "original batch" are you referring to batch 1 or just anything before A117? I've had batches 9, 10, 11, and 12 and A117 was definitely a poor match to those..especially 12.  Haven't tried B517 yet.

I mean the very first batch of ECBP that was released at 134.2 proof and that looked like a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap rum. So dense you could barely see any light through it!

5 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I mean the very first batch of ECBP that was released at 134.2 proof and that looked like a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap rum. So dense you could barely see any light through it!

Never had the pleasure of trying that one.  I've seen several reviews that tout batch #6 as their favorite.  Mine so far has been batch 12.  Let's see if they can raise the bar!

I did see a pic in a review of batches 1-8 and batch 1 did look noticeably darker.

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Oh yeah.......I distinctly remember how dark those early batches were. Crazy when compared to other bourbons on the market.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I still have one unopened bottle of OG ECBP batch 1 in the bunker.  I have a few other batches around, and a motherlode of batch 12 (136), so I have a good long while until I'll need to crack open the OG.  The first bottle I opened of batch 1 was quite the eye-opener back in the day.

Edited by jeffrey r

My whiskey spreadsheet indicates I have some batch #1 tucked away as well. It really is insanely dark, as Bruce said. I remember thinking that it looks like Coca-Cola.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.