Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, IncredulousNosco said:

But then I've never had a whisk(e)y that I thought significantly outclassed ECBP. For bottles that I've owned, I put it in the same class as WPBH 2014 ($210), L,S&B 16yo ($135), & Ardbeg Uigeadail ($85). 

For my money, no other bourbon comes close to it.

I agree with this. At the 50-70$ price point retail (if you can get it) nothing really comes close.

I recently did SBS of a few barrel proof of an older GTS (I forget what year), Stagg Jr 132.5, MMCS, 1920 (115, not barrel proof), Bookers Center Cut, and found the ECBP 139.4 stood tallest among them right next to that GTS. The Stagg Jr and Bookers lagged behind this group we thought, with the MMCS making a good showing midpack. But taken on their own each one of them is quite tasty and satisfying.

Given the option I'd definitely pick up an extra ECBP given the opportunity. And the 1920.

I've thought EBCP has had the quality to compete with the "super-hyped LE's" for a long time. About 2 months ago I bought 3 bottles for $52 each & told my buddy that I still couldn't believe the market hasn't caught on to this one. To be honest it has been really nice for this brand, as everyone knows, for a long time. I think we are currently seeing the next step for this one. And we might not like what we see. :huh:

At any rate. That's why we have bunkers. And I'm glad that mine has a good supply of ECBP in it. :)

Cheers, Jeff

16 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

I've thought EBCP has had the quality to compete with the "super-hyped LE's" for a long time. About 2 months ago I bought 3 bottles for $52 each & told my buddy that I still couldn't believe the market hasn't caught on to this one. To be honest it has been really nice for this brand, as everyone knows, for a long time. I think we are currently seeing the next step for this one. And we might not like what we see. :huh:

At any rate. That's why we have bunkers. And I'm glad that mine has a good supply of ECBP in it. :)

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, you're totally right, ECBP is in the same league as some of the best LE's on the market, that is what I've thought when I tasted the batch 6 the day after I've had some GTS. Flavors, depth and long finish at €65, you can't beat that. I'm bunkering as much as my wallet can. ;) 

Cheers ! 

Will.

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'll be tryin' to get there! Could be working, but jury is out as yet.

Hope to see you there, Paul!

Found one today for $52. Wish I had the coin for the other bottle because this is fantastic stuff! The store owner told me that she gets allocated 3 bottles at a time but it's not on a regular basis.

11 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Is there a release schedule? Seems like it's been awhile since the 136 proof was released.

Seriously.  I feel like it has been a good long while since I have seen it in MD.  I need another bottle. 

Seriously.  I feel like it has been a good long while since I have seen it in MD.  I need another bottle. 

I was wondering the same thing. The next release should come in the new bottle!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It does seem like batch 12 came out a long time ago. The weirder thing is that it seems to keep appearing in stores around here in small amounts.

I checked on batch 12 and it started appearing in Sept, so if they're still releasing quarterly then they're slightly overdue on lucky batch #13. Perhaps they're switching to a trimester schedule.

Batch 13 is out.  Saw it at the GS back in December the proof is 139.4 if I remember correctly which is the same as an earlier batch

17 minutes ago, Hop said:

Batch 13 is out.  Saw it at the GS back in December the proof is 139.4 if I remember correctly which is the same as an earlier batch

Thanks Hop. Is it in the new packaging or the old? I just saw a 139.4 here, but it was in the old bottle and the price was fairly high ($80) so I may have mistaken it for a lingering batch 11.

The two bottles I have are both 139.4 and in the old bottle. I assumed they were batch 11 but who knows?

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Thanks Hop. Is it in the new packaging or the old? I just saw a 139.4 here, but it was in the old bottle and the price was fairly high ($80) so I may have mistaken it for a lingering batch 11.

It was the old style bottle

So if someone has two bottles of 139.4 (as emr does), how would they know if it's batch 11 or 13?  That seems...odd.

Not sure - just checked a couple of my bottles (not 139.4) to see if there was a laser code or any markings and didn't find anything.  From the HH point of view I doubt they care, it's comes from the barrel at what it comes from the barrel and they aren't too worried about what happens after it's bottled and sold

9 minutes ago, Hop said:

Not sure - just checked a couple of my bottles (not 139.4) to see if there was a laser code or any markings and didn't find anything.  From the HH point of view I doubt they care, it's comes from the barrel at what it comes from the barrel and they aren't too worried about what happens after it's bottled and sold

HH should care at least a little. As we saw with Booker's, making it easier for consumers to distinguish between batches can make them more collectible/marketable. As they continue their efforts to elevate (premiumize) the Elijah Craig brand, better differentiating the batches seems like an easy and effective step.

17 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Saw this same Batch last week, old bottle, was going for $59.99.

I think that 139.4 is batch #11. Also it is one of the better batches it seems.

You should think about getting it if you can. Worth it in my opinion.

20 hours ago, Hop said:

Although, its a batch and not a single barrel so its a bunch of barrels dumped together that equal 139.4 when combined.   I have a batch 11 and a batch 12.  I was assuming that batch 13 would show up in the new bottle style.  emr's bottles are likely both batch 11?

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

Although, its a batch and not a single barrel so its a bunch of barrels dumped together that equal 139.4 when combined.   I have a batch 11 and a batch 12.  I was assuming that batch 13 would show up in the new bottle style.  emr's bottles are likely both batch 11?

Seems likely that they are batch 11, unless @Hop has intel indicating otherwise (since he was at the gift shop and may have gleaned some additional info about batch 13)

I was told it was the latest release when I was there in December and it makes sense as what they have for sale would be the latest and not something from several batches back.  

While I don't know all of the following to be fact here is what I understand of what is sold at their and other Distillery Gift Shops:  The bourbon first has to go to a distributor then back to the distillery to be sold which follows along with the system in place in the US (Distiller to Distributor to Retailer).  From a common sense approach I would guess that the actual product never leaves the distillery but all the legalities are just handled on paper (HH Distillery shipped 10 cases of XXX to distributor at $xx, HHGS received 10 cases of XXX from distributor at $xx) as the actual transport of the product to and from would make no sense

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.