What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been to KY several times but this is my first visit to buy bourbon. We are visiting relatives. I had never met old granddad but apparently he is 114!

Anyway, first, props to MyOldKyDram, who suggested Red Dot in Frankfort. I really appreciated the tip. It is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I ended up purchasing

VOBBIB

OWA 107

Larceny

AAA10

OGD 114

That was my initial purchase. I plan to visit another local store or two while in town. If I don't find anything that I like, then I know where to go before I leave town.

I am not sure what I am looking for but wouldn't mind finding some ECBP or maybe EC18. I am probably looking for a bottle in the $40-50 range and then a few cheaper bottles. They have HHBIB Gold and HH 6-year BIB, although I am not certain if they would be redundant.

I was very happy with the Larceny find. They had it in Indiana earlier in the year but I couldn't find any bottles with the rebate form. I ended up with two $10 rebate forms on my bottle. Yes, by accident. I noticed that later. So, that bottle will end up only being $15. Interestingly, I noticed some Ancient Age bottles with $3 rebate forms but not the AAA10.

Is ECBP pretty difficult to find? I realize EC18 is.

The HH Bonds are not redundant. I love them both, but the Gold is obviously younger.

You found Larceny in IN? That's interesting. Just to warn you - the rebates are no good here. You'll have to have them sent to someone out of state. :rolleyes:

Yeah, unlikely to find either of those two. Oddly enough, I did pass on several EC18 in IN last weekend.

Coolest thing I've bought lately are a couple bottles of Russell's Resevre single barrel. One signed by jimmy Russell himself from his visit to the downtown Specs in Houston.

Probably the only place you'll find ECBP in Kentucky is at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. It's not the same as the retail bottle - they have bottlings of various proofs available. It is more expensive than the retail bottle.

The HH Bonds are not redundant. I love them both, but the Gold is obviously younger.

You found Larceny in IN? That's interesting. Just to warn you - the rebates are no good here. You'll have to have them sent to someone out of state. :rolleyes:

Yeah, unlikely to find either of those two. Oddly enough, I did pass on several EC18 in IN last weekend.

Those have strangely popped up here in a few places. I have passed as well.

Last night I picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee to fill the hole in my cabinet where my last ETL used to reside. I also grabbed my first bottle of Weller 12, and am looking forward to trying it this weekend. Since I was taking a buddy out to dinner for his birthday I grabbed one for him as well.

Last night I picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee to fill the hole in my cabinet where my last ETL used to reside. I also grabbed my first bottle of Weller 12, and am looking forward to trying it this weekend. Since I was taking a buddy out to dinner for his birthday I grabbed one for him as well.

You are a good friend. Your buddy should be happy with his gift! My buddy gave me Tequila for my birthday. I had to drink a bunch of fruity drinks just to get it down.

Thanks Mbroo, fruity drinks are fine in August when the sun is up, but in the evening something more substantial is called for. My friend is in a tough way being unemployed so yes, buying him a nice bottle of bourbon that I know he would never buy for himself was the right thing to do.

Hirsch 25 Rye and FR1BLE 2013. Both were greatly enjoyed last night by my car buddies and I

Oscar, have you tried Binny's 5/15/92? IMO, these beat out the 1/29/92s, but 1992 was a great year for distillation!

No I haven't but it sounds like I need to.

And yes '92 was a very good year for EC18.

I picked up my first bottle of Rock Hill Farms for $39. It's normally $55+.

4RLESB2013 (a $110 bottle after outrageous WA taxes), Angel's Envy private barrel blend (Total Wine) and a Weller 12 for the bunker. Speaking of Weller 12, the price went up $4 in Washington State at Total Wine. Now it's $37 after taxes here. :( Not really a value priced bourbon any more, but still tasty.

4RLESB2013 (a $110 bottle after outrageous WA taxes), Angel's Envy private barrel blend (Total Wine) and a Weller 12 for the bunker. Speaking of Weller 12, the price went up $4 in Washington State at Total Wine. Now it's $37 after taxes here. :( Not really a value priced bourbon any more, but still tasty.

Damn, that's pricey for WL 12yr. Getting harder and harder to find these days though. I just stocked my bunker with a case, in preparation for the Bourbocalypse.

In the bourbon desert of NW Iowa visiting the inlaws for the weekend, so I knew the hunt would be sparse.

But picked up a EWSB 2003, which I have not had yet back in MN, and its pretty tasty as the coals light up for some t-bones tonight.

B

Smoking Joe wrote: "I picked up my first bottle of Rock Hill Farms for $39. It's normally $55"

That's a very good price Joe, hope it's not close out.

I stopped by WineWorld & they had it @ $34.99 before taxes :o

That place is pricey!

I did leave with a jar of Luxardo Cherries though ;-)

Thx for the heads up.

picked up from UPS--had shipped overnight, but wasn't home to sign, so I went to the UPS hub that's in my suburb. Should be available after 7pm. Got there 7:20. At 7:50 they tell me "it's back on the belt for Monday delivery". I can't even describe my reaction. Get me a supervisor. FInd the *%$*#% package. It's a box. It was on a truck. I NEED IT NOW. 8:10 they finally find it. Unbelievable. Total incompetence.

158de511-c59b-47d9-bf70-b899b587eeee_zps355318c1.jpg

10f39e97-f6a2-48f0-8ba4-0c8cef34de03_zpsccc6852a.jpg

4R1B. im gonna hold off on opening it until i get through some of the open bottles though....

picked up from UPS--had shipped overnight, but wasn't home to sign, so I went to the UPS hub that's in my suburb. Should be available after 7pm. Got there 7:20. At 7:50 they tell me "it's back on the belt for Monday delivery". I can't even describe my reaction. Get me a supervisor. FInd the *%$*#% package. It's a box. It was on a truck. I NEED IT NOW. 8:10 they finally find it. Unbelievable. Total incompetence.

158de511-c59b-47d9-bf70-b899b587eeee_zps355318c1.jpg

10f39e97-f6a2-48f0-8ba4-0c8cef34de03_zpsccc6852a.jpg

Your lucky they didn't intentionally drop it a few times.

Saw JPS21 for first time, but passed on it at $140.

Grabbed 6 bottles of Weller 12 instead for about the same price ($144 total)

Now that just makes too much sense. Good call & good haul.

Good price on that WLW12. I pay at least $3 per bottle in the midwest, unfortunately.

You did the right thing.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!