What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm enjoying a Brooklyn Brewery Winter Ale. I know it's not season appropriate, but it is still enjoyable. My daughter's partner does a lot of the Budweiser commercials but they had Brooklyn brewery products in their refrigerator, perhaps it is because thy live within walking distance from the brewery. On our next visit we will have to tour the brewery and enjoy lunch here.

One of my last Heady Toppers from The Alchemist. Canned back on July 16. Still tasting pretty, pretty good, but some hop fade is most definitely evident.

Lost Abbey Saint's Devotion (at a rather unsaintly 6.66 % ABV). I like the occasional sour beer and the aroma had a touch of funk but not a lot. Given it is a brettanomyces brew I expected a bit more sour or tart taste but it was not really there. Not bad, just not noteworthy either. Poured a dense, hazy orange rather like unfiltered cider with a big white lacey head.

Anyway, bit of a disappointment. Haven't had it that long so maybe it needed some time in the bottle before drinking. Lots of residual yeast to be found at the bottom of the bottle.

I guess Lost Abbey is kind of the Bulleit bourbon of beers in that its back story seems to be little more than a fabrication for a line of beers brewed at Port Brewery which also puts out a number of beers under the Port Brewery name.

Palate Wrecker. Wonderfully bitter citrus rind bite with malt as an afterthought. Delish.

Getting ready to head out to my nephew's sons 4th Birthday Party. It's a pirate themed deal, and since I ain't dressin' up like a pirate, I'll settle for this Heavy Seas Black Cannon Black IPA. ;) Kinda roasty with a nice creaminess to it.

When my son was four he had me dress up as a pirate. We got the costume stuff at Disney World in Orlando a few months previously so a Pirates of the Caribbean theme was mandatory.

Having another Pretty Things today, their Jack D'or. Damn, think I like this one better than the last. A gorgeous, fairly malt-forward Saison, with some good spice, and a nice bitter grapefruit rind finish. Loving these guys.

8y/o homebrew English Barleywine, was hoping it had dried out a little, but still a bit too sweet, even for an English BW, great flavor though, very complex. Then Hoppin' Frog Naked Evil Barrel-aged Barleywine

8 wired super conductor double ipa. It is tasty but I prefer the regular ipa from these kiwis.

21st Amendments Lower De Boom American style barleywine in the small cans. At 92 IBU I was concerned it would be too hoppy for me as I prefer the English barleywine style that is a bit less hoppy and perhaps a bit sweeter or maltier than some may prefer. But the hops were not too overdone so it was OK although I still prefer a well made English barleywine. And at 11.5% ABV the small 8.4 oz can was a nice size for this beer if you have other plans for the evening.

If not then you can always have two or three!

I also picked up a few cans of their Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. Haven't tried it yet as it might be better to save for when spring finally gets here on a full time basis.

I also picked up a few cans of their Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. Haven't tried it yet as it might be better to save for when spring finally gets here on a full time basis.

I've only seen/had this once, in Asheville, but thought it was decent. Finished with more bitterness than I expected.

Distribution patterns are always interesting. 21st Amendment is in San Francisco, but they don't sell in the Chicago area. They do head even further east to GA and NC, though. I know there's a host of business reasons for how these decisions come to be made, but it's intriguing nonetheless.

8y/o homebrew English Barleywine, was hoping it had dried out a little, but still a bit too sweet, even for an English BW, great flavor though, very complex. Then Hoppin' Frog Naked Evil Barrel-aged Barleywine

Sam Adams lager draft, often overlooked by the hard core been fans but one of the best out there. There are many iterations of Sam Adams but I still like the regular Boston lager the best.

Gary

Sam Adams lager draft, often overlooked by the hard core been fans but one of the best out there. There are many iterations of Sam Adams but I still like the regular Boston lager the best.

Gary

Gary

It could be argued that the current craft beer movement wouldn't be where it is without SA. For a long time Sam Adams Boston Lager was all there was nationally and it was the first beer I ever had that I really liked. Here is a pic of what started my love affair with beer:

post-9262-1448981878517_thumb.jpg

I'm going to crack open this Pliny the Elder and see what all the fuss is about...

Edited by smknjoe
Added picture of old SA Lager bottle

Hopslam went quickly this year.

Hopslam goes quickly every year!

New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA on a cold, windy, snowy evening in Georgia. That extra ABV is noticeably present and appreciated. This is a much more pleasant beer than the Founders All Day IPA, it just wasn't my thing.

Got a bunch of Sierra Nevada Celebration I need to kill off. It's pretty good, just not sure how I ended up with so much of it.

New Glarus Unplugged Old English Porter from a few years ago. It's an interesting beast with a touch of (intentional) sour on top of a roasty bed of smoked brown malt with some stone fruit sweetness and a bit of oak. It's their take on a traditional porter and it's quite enjoyable. It's too bad these aren't readily available outside of WI...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!