What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up some new IPAs over the weekend. Trying out some BrewDog Hardcore IPA now (very nice!) and i'll probably open a Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA next.

I've only seen/had this once, in Asheville, but thought it was decent. Finished with more bitterness than I expected.

Distribution patterns are always interesting. 21st Amendment is in San Francisco, but they don't sell in the Chicago area. They do head even further east to GA and NC, though. I know there's a host of business reasons for how these decisions come to be made, but it's intriguing nonetheless.

Luckily, 21st Amendment's beer is available in Ohio. Chalk one up for the good guys, I guess.

I'm not a fan of the Hell or High Watermelon, but don't stand between me and a cold Bitter American. Their Brew Free or Die IPA is on my rotation also.

I think that what I find palatable about their beers is that they have balance with some malt presence to counter the hops. If I wanted grapefruit juice style IPA's, I'd drink the former and cut out the alcohol.

Trying to bring in spring with my buddy last night and plenty of hoppy beers - Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale then Deviant Dale's IPA then Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. Finished off with a Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale at a Frightened Rabbit concert (An Irish style beer for a Scottish band? Why not.) Finished off the night with a trip to Skyline chili - tried and true hangover prevention.

I've heard good things about this one...looking forward to trying it! :)

[ATTACH]15034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15035[/ATTACH]

New Glarus makes some good beer. It's too bad it's so hard to get.

New Glarus makes some good beer. It's too bad it's so hard to get.
Not if you know the right people! ;) Upon tasting this one it's definitely in my top 5 DIPA's that I've had...nose of grapefruit, passion fruit, and papaya...there is a very nice hop and malt balance to this one making it a great representation of what a DIPA can be.

I went with a "Sour in the Rye" from the Bruery. Sour rye ale aged in oak barrels. I'm just getting into but my first impressions are very good. This one is a thinker and a sipper.

Nicer today, but still quite chilly, so hanging with a Left Hand Wake Up Dead.

I'm going to crack open this Pliny the Elder and see what all the fuss is about...

Drink up! The fresher the better!

Did a Plead the 5th vs Ten Fidy blind comparison tonight. It was ridiculously close, but Plead the 5th by a nose. They are both excellent beers.

Black Chocolate Stout by Brooklyn Brewery worthy of the praise it has received.

Nicer today, but still quite chilly, so hanging with a Left Hand Wake Up Dead.

This is a great beer for the price point. I used to buy Avery's The Czar until it took a significant price hike this year. Wake up Dead took its spot in my routine and I really enjoyed it this winter.

Black Chocolate Stout by Brooklyn Brewery worthy of the praise it has received.

An excellent beer. Dare I say it, the only one in Brooklyns portfolio worth drinking. Blast is a decent IPA but only available on tap in kentucky.

Having a Mikkeller/Against the Grain Invasion IPA, on what finally feels like the first day of spring.

An excellent beer. Dare I say it, the only one in Brooklyns portfolio worth drinking. Blast is a decent IPA but only available on tap in kentucky.

I also liked the Winter Ale.

A Chimay Blue before a delectable brick oven pizza while out for dinner tonight.

A Chimay Blue before a delectable brick oven pizza while out for dinner tonight.

Chimay is some of the very best. Enjoy, my friend!

I'm drinking a bottle of release #61 of Epic Hopulent IPA, which was hopped entirely with mosaic hops. It's not very bitter by IPA standards, and has a very intense fruity hop nose and flavor. Really good, I'll certainly be drinking more of this before it runs out.

Just a few: New Belgium Rampant, Lagunitas undercover and dogfish aprihop in a dogfish nucleated glass. Cheers!

Trying to finis off a few odds and ends this weekend. A Warsteiner dunkel followed by a mass market GI Pere Jacques. Neither was great but neither was particularly bad. Probably not getting more of either anytime soon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!