BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Johnny Who????   (What does he taste like, anyway?)

Sorry, like i said, i'm no expert but the finish reminds me a little bit like Johnny Who. Maybe a bad bottle or it's just me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 11:09 AM, Masset1982 said:

Sorry, like i said, i'm no expert but the finish reminds me a little bit like Johnny Who. Maybe a bad bottle or it's just me!

LOL.  Rich is pulling your chain.  He lives in Michigan (near the Great Lakes where winter lasts five months) so pay no attention.  His point: A bourbon tasting like a scotch????  Who could even think?  Well, I think the finish (that lingering aftertaste) on OGD 114 does have that woody, oaky, tannic "thing" that hangs on the tongue.  It isn't "smokey" like a peated scotch, but you can taste the wood which is what I get with Johnny Walker Black or above (not so much the Red).  AND, just so Rich knows I'm not whamming on him, I am poised to buy a SECOND bottle of Journeyman Featherbone (made in Michigan).  For a microdistiller's product, it pleases; we like it as the base in cocktails.

Well,

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Compass Box Hedonism - bourbon vs. scotch? Drink both.

Harry; you can wham on me all you want.    I can take it.

Hell, I'm from Michigan ...where the Winters last 8-months some years.    More time and reason to warm up with a pour of some fine (or even ordinary) Bourbon!   Ha-Ha!

I'd still like to know, however; what this guy tastes like....and more to the point; why any person is tasting a guy of any name.... Just sayin'.

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

LOL.  Rich is pulling your chain.  He lives in Michigan (near the Great Lakes where winter lasts five months) so pay no attention.  His point: A bourbon tasting like a scotch????  Who could even think?  Well, I think the finish (that lingering aftertaste) on OGD 114 does have that woody, oaky, tannic "thing" that hangs on the tongue.  It isn't "smokey" like a peated scotch, but you can taste the wood which is what I get with Johnny Walker Black or above (not so much the Red).  AND, just so Rich knows I'm not whamming on him, I am poised to buy a SECOND bottle of Journeyman Featherbone (made in Michigan).  For a microdistiller's product, it pleases; we like it as the base in cocktails.

Well,

Thanks for heads up and your support :). That's what i thought about the finish of ODG114 but your description is far better than mine. Still a good bourbon tough!

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:22 AM, Kepler said:

Can't believe all the love this rotgut is getting on this thread. Tried it once from a bottle my brother had and was not impressed at all.

Ok so I tried it again twice I have to admit I was wrong and rotgut was off base. It's definitely a different kind of pour and I can see what some of you all see in it. I still think some are over rating it a bit, but I have to admit it's not half bad stuff after all. I also bought a bottle of the BIB which I haven't opened yet.

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ok so I tried it again twice I have to admit I was wrong and rotgut was off base. It's definitely a different kind of pour and I can see what some of you all see in it. I still think some are over rating it a bit, but I have to admit it's not half bad stuff after all. I also bought a bottle of the BIB which I haven't opened yet.

Keep going back to it and it will win you over completely.

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie to OGD114. I read and watched a lot of reviews about the different OGD products and opted to try the OGD114 since that seemed to be the one with the most positive reviews. I've only tried it a few times at this point, but I'm having a hard time liking it. It's not that I don't like high proof bourbon either, because KCSB is one of my favorite regular pours, and I generally drink it neat. OGD114, to me, tastes like it is too young and the heat really hits you. I know enough to give it some more time before I make my final conclusion because I've had others that I didn't care for the first couple of pours, and later grew to like them. I guess time will tell, but I never grew to really like EWBIB, which is odd because I love EWSB. Obviously a few more years in the barrel, and hand picked barrels, works wonders with EW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm a newbie to OGD114. I read and watched a lot of reviews about the different OGD products and opted to try the OGD114 since that seemed to be the one with the most positive reviews. I've only tried it a few times at this point, but I'm having a hard time liking it. It's not that I don't like high proof bourbon either, because KCSB is one of my favorite regular pours, and I generally drink it neat. OGD114, to me, tastes like it is too young and the heat really hits you. I know enough to give it some more time before I make my final conclusion because I've had others that I didn't care for the first couple of pours, and later grew to like them. I guess time will tell, but I never grew to really like EWBIB, which is odd because I love EWSB. Obviously a few more years in the barrel, and hand picked barrels, works wonders with EW.

lcpfratn - My first taste of OGD 114, in spite of almost 50 years of bourbon sipping, happened circa 4/2013 when this very thread started.  Like you, I found those first few sips hot, relatively tasteless (or at least no identifiable flavors), ethyl alcohol-heavy, and unsatisfying.  So, I plugged up the bottle and put it on the shelf.  A couple days later, after Squire and a few others had discussed it on this thread, I poured a little more, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then sipped LIGHTLY.  As I wrote then, my experience was totally different - full fruit on the first sip, complex cinnamon/caramel/oak/leather on the second with NO alcohol burn, and a wonderful vanilla finish.  Nowadays, I rarely drink it neat.  Through experimentation, I figured out that my fridge makes ice cubes that, when added to two (2) ounces of OGD 114, will reduce the 114 to about 102-105 proof.  SO, I usually pour two ounces, add one ice cube, and let it sit until the cube is gone.  Ambrosia.

Of course, your experience may differ as people's palates differ.  For example, I reallyreally like KC 100 proof 9yr but for some reason find KCSB too woody and alcohol forward even when diluted.  Go figure.  Similarly, over time I've learned which SBers have palates like mine, so when they like something "new", chances are  I'll like it.  However, I like Larceny, but a couple of those palate pals don't.  Again, go figure.  Finally, like you, I like EWB and EWSB, but EWBIB doesn't grab me.  Can't figure that one out, either, as I absolutely love its relative - HH white label, even the 80 proofer and drive for hours to get HH BIB 6yr .

lcpfratn - My first taste of OGD 114, in spite of almost 50 years of bourbon sipping, happened circa 4/2013 when this very thread started.  Like you, I found those first few sips hot, relatively tasteless (or at least no identifiable flavors), ethyl alcohol-heavy, and unsatisfying.  So, I plugged up the bottle and put it on the shelf.  A couple days later, after Squire and a few others had discussed it on this thread, I poured a little more, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then sipped LIGHTLY.  As I wrote then, my experience was totally different - full fruit on the first sip, complex cinnamon/caramel/oak/leather on the second with NO alcohol burn, and a wonderful vanilla finish.  Nowadays, I rarely drink it neat.  Through experimentation, I figured out that my fridge makes ice cubes that, when added to two (2) ounces of OGD 114, will reduce the 114 to about 102-105 proof.  SO, I usually pour two ounces, add one ice cube, and let it sit until the cube is gone.  Ambrosia.

Of course, your experience may differ as people's palates differ.  For example, I reallyreally like KC 100 proof 9yr but for some reason find KCSB too woody and alcohol forward even when diluted.  Go figure.  Similarly, over time I've learned which SBers have palates like mine, so when they like something "new", chances are  I'll like it.  However, I like Larceny, but a couple of those palate pals don't.  Again, go figure.  Finally, like you, I like EWB and EWSB, but EWBIB doesn't grab me.  Can't figure that one out, either, as I absolutely love its relative - HH white label, even the 80 proofer and drive for hours to get HH BIB 6yr .

I'll definitely try it some more before I throw in the towel and delegate it to mixer status. I agree that everyone's palate is different, and always changing. I haven't had any of the regular KC in a long time. I had it years ago and it was just meh. However, I got to try a store pick KCSB several months back and it instantly became one of my regular pours. I've since bought several more bottles, but probably need to pick up a few regular KC100 bottles and give it another go before its all NAS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after letting my open bottle of OGD114 rest for a while, I finally got up the desire to give this bourbon another go tonight. All I can say is that I'm another convert. It's amazing how the first pour or two of a new bourbon, just doesn't impress, but after leaving it alone and coming back to it another day, it magically becomes wonderful. I know that other things that you eat or drink can have an effect on the palate, but I also believe that some of these bourbons just need to breath a bit. I'm glad I gave this one another chance...it won't be automatically designated as a mixer anymore, although it does make a good old fashioned. Cheers!

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.