BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It took me a while to become friends with this stuff. Halfway through the bottle, I woke up. Wait, that doesn't sound right. Let's just say it took several "dates" before I appreciated what was inside. And nice that it's a cheap date, too!

Different mash bill and different yeast. According to some insider information Beam actually set up the original Old Grand Dad still at Beam and use it to make Old Grand Dad.

Different mash bill and different yeast. According to some insider information Beam actually set up the original Old Grand Dad still at Beam and use it to make Old Grand Dad.

God bless America (and Jim Beam), that they do...

Not a bottle I grab much. Tastes more like a rye than a bourbon to me. I prefer the BIB. No doubt good stuff but a little bit too hot and too much rye for me. Good to have on the shelf though and I maintain that this one is better than the BIB for making cocktails - especially an Old Fashioned.

I dont care for it, too much heat and spice for me but everyone has thier own tastes. For the mid $20 price I prefer alot of others.

Late to the thread, but luckily have an unopened bottle in the bunker. Time to open it.

I bought a bottle months ago on sale but hadn't opened it. Resurrection of this thread got me wondering about it since I like OGD BIB. I got no real (or at least no dominant) scent on opening, surprised at the lack of oak or alcohol. Neat sip from the bottle was hot but not as raw as I expected. This is 114 proof? Seems too balanced for that much alcohol; I know I could overindulge when drinking it neat when alone so I won't.

Which begs the question: How's it do over ice? Answer: Poured over a big iceball, it's like cold OGD (surprise!) but I can still smell it when my nose is in the double old fashioned glass I use with an ice ball - 2.5 oz. takes me to the rim. THIS I can drink alone. And all for $22 plus tax per 750ml locally & cheaper on sale.

[edit-] Added to the glass then fed the cats midnight snack. When I came back to check the Weather Channel (old faht obsession), the glass held a really nice wood smell/taste - almost grilled steak.l

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Yeah, it takes 114 a bit of time to stretch and breath when the bottle is first opened. Then the parts sum up the whole nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing but after always having it available now it has been absent for about a month and my dealers are having trouble with the re-supply. Well at least that is what they say.

Thanks Squire.

Tunnel-Binny's is good about keeping OGD114 in stock up here, but I have never seen it elsewhere. I think OGD114 is going to get hard to find because it's getting attention.

I had some on hold last week at my local Binny's because their website said "low supply call store," I went to go pick it up one morning and saw Stagg Jr. I told the associate that I was going to try Stagg instead. He asked if I wanted to to try it. Being 9am and before work, I was hesitant, but said yes to free bourbon. They poured me a sip of Stagg Jr. I had one sip without water and another sip with. It was big, bold, good, and hot with a youthful after taste. The water expanded the flavors of the second gulp and calmed it down. I was surprised that both associates said OGD114 was older and better (I always thought Stagg Jr. was well liked). Needless to say I walked out with OGD114 over Stagg. I have yet to taste it, but hope to soon. I have a lot of open bourbon.

Best,

• 1 month later...

Love this stuff, have 3 bottles of it myself..I have heard rumors here and there

But soon as some of it starts to hold water I will hit my local stores and buy

Them up.

This is without question my favorite go to bourbon. It has been hard to find in Ct until recently. I stocked up and now can enjoy my favorite pour again.

I had 3 pours last night after work and to me it really reminds me of bookers

In smell and taste but honestly a bit better and half the price, I believe

For me this has become a case buy..I need to put some away before

Price goes up or just gets harder to find which it has in the last 2 months

Just checked my 3 bottles, I have years 2011, 2013, and 2014 if I'm reading it correctly

I stumbled across the last pour of a bottle of this up at the family cabin over Memorial Day Weekend. It said "Lot #11", but I couldn't find a year anywhere on it. It had been tucked under the sink for years. My wife's uncle said he thinks it was something his father brought up (and he died in the 90's). Best guess, from poking around the internet, is that the bottle was from the mid 80's.

All I know is that it was good. For being 114, I expected it to taste a lot hotter than it did (to a bourbon neophyte like I am). It was fairly smooth with only a small bite, though my wife took one sniff of it and turned away in a hurry (but then she doesn't appreciate whiskey at all).

It was an awesome discovery, especially since nobody else in the family seems to drink whiskey. It was tucked behind a bunch of other liquors my sister in law brought up, but shape of the container caught my eye. Happy day!

picked up 2 more bottles, the last 2 binnys had on the shelf for $24.99 each

I have been reaching for OGD114 first for the last week. I'm not generally a water person but a small spoonful of water really seems to sort out the flavors. After thinking it over for the last few nights I'm convinced my last bottle of WFE was the OGD mashbill (an 11 year with barrel # in the high 700s).

Some time back, Pennsylvania closed these out at $13.85. I stocked up.

Joe :usflag:

Some time back, Pennsylvania closed these out at $13.85. I stocked up.

Joe :usflag:

omg...i need a tissue..excuse me please

I have seen OGD 114 recently for $19.99 in Indy. Good price on a solid bourbon.

"After thinking it over for the last few nights I'm convinced my last bottle of WFE was the OGD mashbill (an 11 year with barrel # in the high 700s)."

Interesting, I assume the WFE was at a premium price. Was it better than OGD?

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.