BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No, it's not an April Fools joke. I'm just early for a change. :lol:

OGD 114 has been done before, but it's been a little over 6 years. Besides, with all the talk lately, I thought this might be a pretty good time to revisit it. Why not? :grin:

My thoughts....I know all the love given OGD 114 here, but I have to say that I just don't care for it all that much. I don't hate it, but the combo of heat and spiciness it has just doesn't agree with my tastes. That's just me. Y'all know me and my love for wheaters. :rolleyes: Regardless of what I think, I still know what a good bourbon, and great value OGD 114 is. Soooooooo...........

......Cheers to everyone, and happy posting. Let's hear it for OGD 114! :woohoo:

Joe

Might be early, but I forgot to make it a sticky. Bump....

I kept a bottle at my desk for about a year now. It's not often that I go to it. I find it too aggressively hot and spicy for normal sipping (even with water) unless I'm really in the mood for something so big. However, when no one is around late at night, I might pour a little into my can of Diet Coke...

Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.

• I like it 1

I'm not sure I should even try to add to what squire said above but I will say this. It seems like OGD 114 is a little less hot and better balanced as of late. I can't put my finger on it exactly. I'm not always in the mood for it but when I am it hits the spot like nothing else.

Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.

Ditto on all accounts. I could not have said it any better than Squire did.

No, it's not an April Fools joke. I'm just early for a change. :lol:

OGD 114 has been done before, but it's been a little over 6 years. Besides, with all the talk lately, I thought this might be a pretty good time to revisit it. Why not? :grin:

My thoughts....I know all the love given OGD 114 here, but I have to say that I just don't care for it all that much. I don't hate it, but the combo of heat and spiciness it has just doesn't agree with my tastes. That's just me. Y'all know me and my love for wheaters. :rolleyes: Regardless of what I think, I still know what a good bourbon, and great value OGD 114 is. Soooooooo...........

......Cheers to everyone, and happy posting. Let's hear it for OGD 114! :woohoo:

Joe

It took me a while to grow to like it as I am partial to wheaters as well (obviously from my handle)..but I really, really love the stuff. I try to always have it around along with Weller 12 or MM 46.

I keep a pretty hefty stash of this stuff around. It's a good, straightforward, classic style bourbon. It's also quite different (and better IMO) than the other OGD offerings.

photo2_zps49c73420.jpg

Through the OGD looking glass. This bourbon is amazing, and there's really little that can be added to Squire's comment. I would probably say this my favorite bourbon being produced by Beam.

I started drinking this stuff last summer. Kinda on a lark. Then I kept going back to the store for another bottle and realized I actually LIKED the stuff!

I can't believe it is a Beam product. Just vatted some with 1792 RR. That should spice up the old Ridgemont a little!

It is a Beam product but to their credit they use the original Grand Dad mash bill and yeast so it is unlike the standard Beam Bourbons or Ryes.

I think I will pick up a bottle of this in the next couple of days.

I finally found it at the local wine and spirits superstore, for a whopping $25.00!

I'm not a Beam fan in the least but ODG114 is mighty alright in my book,the proof and profile always finds itself to the top of value pours and one that is always on hand and open in my cabinet.:grin:

Big fan of OGD 114 as well. Nothing I can really add to Squire's post, but I'll say I enjoy the un-sweetened dark-chocolate flavor I get from it, among other highlights.

I just opened my first bottle of KCSB, and while neat, it tastes like a fuller version of the standard offering... but when I proofed it down to 107-ish, it lost a lot of the powerful sweetness and reminded me a lot of OGD114.

I recently purchased my first bottle. I find it very hot, even with water. Neat or with a splash I just can't get into it. It was a little better on ice. Where it really shines though is in an Old Fashioned. It seems to be perfect for that. I'll stick to my wheaters and Elmer T for sippin'.

I just bought my first bottle of it a few months ago, but having finished that one, and several others it has quickly become one of my favorites. I'm too new to know if this is a classic taste or whatever, but to me this is one of the best. I like it neat, first sip is a bit strong, but settles into a nice warmth, with a little punch in the mouth each time. Not to mention that toasted rye nose that's just fantastic.

I think getting conditioned to the 114 pr has got me in trouble, was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.

was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.

Well, a good bit of it is :D

As I live in Hawaii, where our Bourbon selection is not the best, this is the first BOTM for which I actually have a bottle on hand and can participate!

First off, I don't know where I can buy OGD114 anywhere here, I can only find the OGD 80 proof...but thanks to a recommendation from Chuck, on a trip to vegas a couple of years ago, I picked up a bottle. It did not last long. Great stuff.

Here's the funny part...I'm the ringleader amongst my peer group when it comes to whiskey. I try, I buy, and I introduce my friends to it.

I've gotten my friends to sing the praises of FRSB, BT, Rittenhouse Rye, OWA and PVWlotB...all bottles you couldn't find here in Hawaii (well, BT FINALLY appeared in the stores here in the past 2 months), all that I brought back from my mainland whiskey runs in the past few years. But the OGD 114? They're all scared to even try it. They're scared of the proof. Oh well, more for me!

I think getting conditioned to the 114 pr has got me in trouble, was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.

I must admit I resemble this remark. Now that I have been enjoying OGD 114 (on one ice cube), I have noticed that my old go yo drink of EC12 just goes down a lot faster than

it used to. Oh well. In these parts OGD 114 is a little cheaper than EC12 so it's all OK!

I am a huge fan of OGD 114! its one i find myself going back to on a constant basis, and I can get it for about $20 dollars a bottle at that price you can't beat it.

My favourite bourbon. OGD 114 and the original OGD (never had the Bib), I always have some bottles around. I usually like the Beam stuff: Bakers, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Bookers, the small batch range is pretty good, or? But the 114 is the best. I drink it with a splash of water.

One of Richard Pryor's great lines was: "I'm in love with a (woman) I can't stand!".

That was sorta my first impression of OGD114 not too many months back. The bartender opened a new bottle and I ordered a pour. The first nose and sip nearly knocked me off my stool. "Damn, that's some nasty stuff", I thought or, likely, said. For some reason I was distracted for quite a while and went back to that pour sitting on the bar. I went in for seconds. It was an amazing transformation. This stuff had settled down into a rich, complex and very tasty bourbon. I added a couple of cubes and then had the bartender pour it for several of the porch buddies. All experienced the first drink roughness and later the smooth, enjoyable grown-up bourbon.

I keep a lot of bottles open for sipping. The OGD114 comes up for replacement while others sit waiting.

Don't let that early barking and growling scare you off. This one will sit at your feet and keep you company as long as you like!

I had a very similar experience. I absolutely despised this stuff at first (and it was one of my first bottles). The bottle sat for a few months before I filled a flask to take to a cigar event where I found it rather enjoyable.

I'm not entirely sure if it was my tastes growing, or if the bottle improved over a few openings with some time on the shelf, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another bottle.

The first time I bought a bottle of it, I thought it was astringent tasting and I was put-off by it. I gave it another shot, and I'm glad that I did because the next bottle turned out to be outstanding. It is now something I keep on hand at all times. I like the darker brooding flavor of this version better than the 86 and the BiB. I go through a good amount of OGD BiB and have found variance from bottle to bottle, so I'm thinking my first 114 was a bad bottle.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.