BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have seen OGD 114 recently for $19.99 in Indy. Good price on a solid bourbon.

"After thinking it over for the last few nights I'm convinced my last bottle of WFE was the OGD mashbill (an 11 year with barrel # in the high 700s)."

Interesting, I assume the WFE was at a premium price. Was it better than OGD?

It was definitely better. 125 proof and less raw alcohol note, but it cost over 3x as much and it's not like I can find more. The 114 is close enough for me.

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle tonight and tried it. I'm surprised it's a thin and smooth as it is for being 114 proof. Kind of shocking. I was expecting it to have a big body that's full and chewy like EC12. Regardless, I dig the high rye mash bill and how it has lingering spice. It stays in your mouth like ER10, which I'm fond of. At present, I can't give the high praise that others have given it. I like it. However, my palate isn't as refined as others, so take my comments accordingly.

It was definitely better. 125 proof and less raw alcohol note, but it cost over 3x as much and it's not like I can find more. The 114 is close enough for me.

What barrel #, just out of curiosity?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just picked up a bottle a few days ago. Haven't tried it yet, but, due to all the recent praise I bought a bottle. There are a few more on the shelf at the Sav-Way in Geneva, IL if anybody is in area and needing a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Always amazed at how some of us are scoring this for like $13-$16. It is always $20-$23 where I see it, but I think even that will be just a fond memory pretty soon. Remember how Squire said if the 114 were launched these days it would be at double the price and receive rave reviews? Funny how that “if” is now looking like a “when” as we behold the relaunch of OGD.

Only things I’m still wondering about is if they will be redesigning the 114 bottle/label first, and if they will do special editions. Perhaps they will go with something like the foreign label?

OGD 114 is an amazing pour at the price, no doubt about it. If there were only one bourbon available on the market, I'd be content with this one.

It's available here just about everywhere. I just haven't bought one as I'm still working my way through a handle of OGDBIB I picked up on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

This bourbon was love at first pour for me. It has been a staple in my cabinet since I first tried it.

Haven't had any in the last year or so but I remember it being very good. Strangely, I don't remember it having the Beam "funk" that I find in OGD BiB.

I bought a bottle yeturday in Atlanta before flying back to Connecticut. Today when I unpacked the bottle, I noticed on the back label a statement about a lot number to ensure authenticity. It's labled Lot No. 1, so I was curious about the significance of this. I have seen other small batch bourbons with batch and bottle numbers.

I bought a bottle yeturday in Atlanta before flying back to Connecticut. Today when I unpacked the bottle, I noticed on the back label a statement about a lot number to ensure authenticity. It's labled Lot No. 1, so I was curious about the significance of this. I have seen other small batch bourbons with batch and bottle numbers.

While the lot number 1 is irrelevant, there IS an important number lower down on the glass, in white. This is apparently the batch number, as I have noticed all the bottles with the same number taste the same but bottles with different numbers do not. Be cool if people would start referring to this number when writing about a great (or lousy) bottle of OGD 114.

• 4 months later...

Don't think I have read this thread so not sure if it was mentioned here but I have seen in other threads where posters were expecting a price hike on this: first of the month it goes up $5 here in MI from $22.99 to 27.99 according to the owner of my corner store that had ordered me some.

Don't think I have read this thread so not sure if it was mentioned here but I have seen in other threads where posters were expecting a price hike on this: first of the month it goes up $5 here in MI from $22.99 to 27.99 according to the owner of my corner store that had ordered me some.

As someone who has been expecting a hike on 114 for what seems like forever, I was surprised just the other day upon returning to my local store for the first time in over a month that it STILL is the same price. Was just about ready to admit I was wrong and that the anomalous pricing of BIB vs. 114 is apparently a long-term thing--but now I see your post and wonder if our increase is finally about to occur.

That's a good point though, about the price of 114 remaining relatively stable over time. Even if there is a suggested price hike our local merchants, being practical souls, may choose not to increase price on a on a limited appeal label. BIB moves around here but the 114 has a decidedly limited market.

That's a good point though, about the price of 114 remaining relatively stable over time. Even if there is a suggested price hike our local merchants, being practical souls, may choose not to increase price on a on a limited appeal label. BIB moves around here but the 114 has a decidedly limited market.

Strange though, about its limited appeal. 114 seems to fly under the radar here as well as near as I can tell. But for the fact that it's regularly praised here on SB, causing many to buy it who might otherwise pass it up, I wonder if it would move much at all. Yet, as so many have mentioned over time, it's a super quality whiskey at an affordable price in a handsome bottle that pours like a premium spirit, so I guess we should all be thankful that we've been able to purchase it for under $25 for so long. If it goes up $5, I'm ready to pay the difference after all these years of bargain pricing.

Edited by unclebunk

I've been expecting a bump for a long time, as have others, I'm sure. As a result I've been buying two whenever I kill a bottle off....Always keeping that second one out of view in the bunker. Because of that practice I probably have about a case held back, so I won't be paying the extra freight, for a while at least. I find both the BIB and the 114 to be very nice pours, reliable in their consistency, done in a style that isn't really available in any another brand.

. . . Always keeping that second one out of view in the bunker . . .
Indeed. I think Steve (aka Flahute) mentioned OGD on the "Other whiskey" thread - I had Bernheim last night - and, since I'm out of OGD bonded, had already decided to open a bunkered 114 tonight when I saw this post. Since OGD bonded is always around and because I usually don't drink 114 neat, I usually grab the BIB instead. I have no idea how I let myself run out.

• 2 weeks later...

As this is a staple of mine, recently purchased 4 bottles to "offset" the new price hike on Aug 2 by $5. Even at the new price of $28, this is still one of the best buys out there. Did I mention that the bourbon is outstanding? People will run over each other to get the latest or hottest trend bourbon but something like OGD 114 is ignored. Maybe we should keep this news to ourselves.

As this is a staple of mine, recently purchased 4 bottles to "offset" the new price hike on Aug 2 by $5. Even at the new price of $28, this is still one of the best buys out there. Did I mention that the bourbon is outstanding? People will run over each other to get the latest or hottest trend bourbon but something like OGD 114 is ignored. Maybe we should keep this news to ourselves.

I too have been stocking up. I grabbed two more today bringing me up to 1 open and 6 bunkered. I may grab a couple more yet before the weekend is up as I love it neat and it is great for vatting with 90 proof stuff as well. One store I hit today had already raised the price.

Even at the new price of $28, this is still one of the best buys out there. Did I mention that the bourbon is outstanding? People will run over each other to get the latest or hottest trend bourbon but something like OGD 114 is ignored. Maybe we should keep this news to ourselves.
Good advice, Boozer. It truly is one of the best values under $30 and an eventual hike is to be expected but I'll keep on buying it, just like Rittenhouse BIB after several price hikes here in Chicago.

I really like OGD 114 and BIB.... I did have a question however. What do the lot numbers on the back indicate if anything? I have 2 lot number 1, one opened and enjoying now. The other in waiting bought them a few years back as you can guess.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.