BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought OGD was made with ND yeast? Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=333820 Edit: should mention that the Beam funk is often associated with Beam yeast - perhaps the "funk" you're getting in the OGD is the result of something else in the Beam "process"?
I'd swear up and down that OGD, both the BiB and 114, production has changed in the past few years. I've compared bottles from the '90s and '00s to stuff from 2011 onward, and there's a dramatic difference. The older stuff - and I'm talking 2006 or earlier, not dusties at all - had a nice chili and butterscotch flavor, while the new stuff tastes malty with a bit of orange, and "Beam"y to me. I just can't drink the stuff. It could well be that the yeast is the same as it's been, but SOMETHING has to have changed.

I got a bad headache after my first pour of OGD 114. I have no allergies and I don't think that it was the proof. My guess is that I was just going to get a headache because I have not experienced it in subsequent pours. I find the more I sample this bourbon, the more I like it. Some describe it as "smooth" considering the proof. I am not sure what "smooth" means but I know that I can drink this neat or with a cube pretty easily.

Every time I drink OGD, I think of squire. I had never tried it until I joined SB.

Squire has sold more VOB and OGD than all of Barton and Beam's marketing ploys combined simply by posting on these boards. MM has the ambassador program. I hope Beam and Barton recognize our own squire at some point. He is a voice of reason in these crazy bourbon times and an advocate for the under appreciated value pour.

The "Beam Funk" huh? Ok now I know what that is, thanks. I think I'll prefer to call it the "Beam Linger..." though. Sounds more palatable??? For the insignificant sum of ## OGD 114 bottles, for each SB member, Beam's marketing dept may use this new slogan.

I had my first pour of this tonight. This is without a doubt going to become a regular pour. If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that I was drinking a bourbon at double the price. I like the intense amount of flavor I get on the front of the tongue. I'd have to say that I prefer this to the BIB (which I do like very much). Great stuff!

This is without a doubt going to become a regular pour. If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that I was drinking a bourbon at double the price.

That's because you were.

That's because you were.
Ha. No, I meant that if I had tasted it blind, I would've guessed it to be at least double the $21 I paid. I honestly think it's that good.

• 5 months later...

Loved squire's comments! Hard (impossible?) to beat at its price point as a slow sipper/palate warmer/mixer.

Loved squire's comments! Hard (impossible?) to beat at its price point as a slow sipper/palate warmer/mixer.

for proof/price/taste balance, it IS impossible to beat!

I had my first pour of this the other night, and I too think very highly of it. I tasted it neat, and then added a splash of water to proof it down just a tad. Both ways were excellent.

I plan to spend a bit more time with it this weekend.

After making a long and circuitous journey through the majority of the regularly available bourbons, I have come to the conclusion that this is in someways the alpha and omega of American whiskey. So good. Drinking an old-fashioned of this with brown sugar as we speak. Dangerous.

After making a long and circuitous journey through the majority of the regularly available bourbons, I have come to the conclusion that this is in someways the alpha and omega of American whiskey. So good. Drinking an old-fashioned of this with brown sugar as we speak. Dangerous.

Yes, please be very careful not to add too much sugar. :grin:

After making a long and circuitous journey through the majority of the regularly available bourbons, I have come to the conclusion that this is in someways the alpha and omega of American whiskey.

It took me alotta years to reach that same conclusion.

It took me alotta years to reach that same conclusion.

I'm getting there... That's not to say there aren't some really great high-end bourbon out there, but I keep on coming back to OGD114 to scratch my bourbon itch.

This made for an excellent, inexpensive 2 oz. pour at a nice bar downtown a few months ago (especially considering I had a VWFRR for 4x the cost immediately following it). I keep forgetting to grab a bottle and this BOTM is a great reminder.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I checked in a a different liquor store.. I saw two bottles of OGD 114.. Tomorrow I am going back to buy them both.. I remember liking the 100 Proof BIB.. And see that many like the 114 even better.. Cheers

Just finished a current OGD114. Sweet, caramel flavor profile, with a bit more spice than the ND style. I prefer ND, but some members like the current(Josh), and that's okay. I dig the current bottling, and I'm gonna stock up, as it's one of my favorite 'bottom' shelfers. I will add that I'm not a Beam fan, but I love OGD. Keep it coming, Suntory!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love me some OGD114 just a little more than the OGDBIB which I also enjoy. I've always thought that strange, since I really don't like KC, Bookers, Basil Hayden, or Bakers. What's up with that?

I love me some OGD114 just a little more than the OGDBIB which I also enjoy. I've always thought that strange, since I really don't like KC, Bookers, Basil Hayden, or Bakers. What's up with that?

Different mash bill?

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.