PVW 23 bottled for SB.com members

dryeager
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just picked up this bottle. Anyone know anything about it?

Label reads "Single Barrel DSP KY-16 Bourbon; Distilled March 30, 1984 * Selected April 27,2007; Bottled without Chill-filtering June 27, 2007; Exclusively for Members of straightbourbon.com"

post-8887-14489818862418_thumb.jpg

It's a bad bottle and disgusting. I will try to consume it for you.

Cheers,

Hugh

Is there a double secret SB thread that announces and takes orders for this annual barrel purchase?

Okay. So how did you come about this bottle and what member flipped it? :P

Any old timers want to share how good this bottle was? I guess it would not have been picked if it was the typical Pappy23 Popsicle stick.

This was pulled together back in early 2007, probably before any [or most at least] posting here about this even knew of straightbourbon.com, and was delivered later in the year. IIRC, it was open to all members at the time.

It was good, but then again, isn't all pappy? And no, there isn't an annual barrel purchase here on the site, as far as I recall there hasn't been one since the pappy 23.

Maybe there should be? Why no follow up barrels of anything? Doesn't have to be Van Winkle.

There was no follow up because it was too damn much trouble.

:lol::) We can't even figure out splitting a barrel with the bar across the street, I can only imagine what it must be like trying to figure it out with this motley crew of characters.

Too timely and too expensive. Unless you are prepared to front several thousand bucks for between 200-300 bottles (an average barrel yield guess) and hope enough people want to buy some once you get it, you'll be running around trying to get enough interest AND up-front payment to cover most of the cost. You might get the interest, but getting commitment (as in money paid) is a different kettle of fish.

Edited by camduncan

Too timely and too expensive. Unless you are prepared to front several thousand bucks for between 200-300 bottles (an average barrel yield guess) and hope enough people want to buy some once you get it, you'll be running around trying to get enough interest AND up-front payment to cover most of the cost. You might get the interest, but getting commitment (as in money paid) is a different kettle of fish.

I wonder if that has changed (getting people to put their money where their mouths are) since '07 with so many now spending hundreds a month on whiskey without thinking twice.

I would be willing to lend my professional web development, payment processing, and crowdsourcing skills to a project like this. I would also love to be a part of a barrel selection trip. If someone has experience with arranging barrel purchases, and if someone from SB.com has interest in endorsing the effort, please contact me.

Interesting idea, would be careful though there may be some legal issues that could come to haunt this... if done improperly. One could easily mistake this for illegal alcohol distribution.

Interesting idea, would be careful though there may be some legal issues that could come to haunt this... if done improperly. One could easily mistake this for illegal alcohol distribution.

Eh, no. Barrel selection programs still work within the three-tier system (ultimately the bottles are purchased from a licensed retailer). The only real barrier in a setting like this is that organizing and arranging it, which is why it hasn't been done much. There is another web-based group that does barrel purchases but they are much smaller and it's my understanding that membership is selective.

I would be in on almost anything that SB would put together. If it were either barrel proof or something hard to find (or both), my interest goes up significantly and I would commit to 5 or more bottles.

There is another web-based group that does barrel purchases but they are much smaller and it's my understanding that membership is selective.

I heard from a swiss group that frequently purchases barrels of bourbon from a destiller in the U.S. Don't know any details, though.

Love where this conversation is going especially given its very cool starting point. Though I believe the continuation will end up in the Group Barrel forum, I think the notion of introducing new technology into barrel purchasing would be a fun experiment. Kickstarter and LivingSocial (the original model) proved that tipping point style group programs can work given a well planned business model. Testing this capability against the distribution complications of physical goods (especially regulated goods) would be a valuable learning experience for distillers and retailers alike.

Fun convo, looking forward to see where it goes.

I would be interested in helping to organize as well. I can apply my bourbon buying and drinking skills.

If one can get the barrel bought and wrangle it through the 3 tier system then reservations and payment up front can certainly be handled via a paypal type mechanism. Seems the main road block then would be distribution.

If we knew it could be acquired through a store near Bardstown (not to name any names of a new SB member and bestest friend who happens to run a store in that area for example...) then perhaps it could be distributed at the April Sampler or September Festival. Those that can't get there might have another member from their region who could bring back their bottles for them and find a way to distribute them locally.

Could work, especially for members within reasonable driving distance of Bardstown. Might be a bit tricker for those farther away. And it would take a committment from one or more people to be the primary administrator(s) and record keepers.

I would certainly be willing to participate if it was, as noted earlier, something sufficiently unusual (say barrel proof of something not normally barrel proof or a fairly uncommon brand not readily available across the country).

Is there no way to get the retailer to tack on additional cost and just have them distribute?

i.e. crowdfund so you get the $ upfront

purchase selection

retailer ships bottles out to list

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!