PVW 23 bottled for SB.com members

dryeager
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If we knew it could be acquired through a store near Bardstown (not to name any names of a new SB member and bestest friend who happens to run a store in that area for example...) then perhaps it could be distributed at the April Sampler or September Festival.

Just another item to add to my list of "Reasons to schedule an immediate trip to Bardstown".

I figured this thread would grow legs.

Hahaha...you say that with the sage wisdom of someone who has seen this thread once or twice before. Is this a crazy idea that comes up annually or every couple of years?

Is there no way to get the retailer to tack on additional cost and just have them distribute?

i.e. crowdfund so you get the $ upfront

purchase selection

retailer ships bottles out to list

That is a great idea, and would probably make distribution much easier. Anyway, I would definitely be interested in taking part in a SB.com barrel selection.

Okay, for the sake of conversation lets say we decide on barrel proof. The distillerys who have a barrel purchase program in place already have the mechanics worked out so it's down to which barrel and we are limited to those labels that have already been approved for barrel proof. So which on that list is the choice?

I've been really happy with the barrel selection I've been part of, and I'm really looking forward to the next one. For a group SB.com purchase, though, I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to first decide on the distillery and brand, and then, who do you trust (and how many would be involved) in the actual selection?

Okay, for the sake of conversation lets say we decide on barrel proof. The distillerys who have a barrel purchase program in place already have the mechanics worked out so it's down to which barrel and we are limited to those labels that have already been approved for barrel proof. So which on that list is the choice?

The 1st ones that popped in my head would be a Willett Wheater or Four Roses

Those were my thoughts Tucker, can we get a consensus on the distillery first guys, just as an exercise.

As it is a SB.com barrel selection, it must be one that is exceptionally good so something top shelf. I am voting for a top shelf wheated bourbon. Then I will be in for many bottles with payment upfront.

It should be so fine that other non SB.com would only dream of and try to collect while we will be sipping on it daily.

Thanks!!

Hugh

Which brand did you have in mind Hugh, choosing only from those available of course.

If one can get the barrel bought and wrangle it through the 3 tier system then reservations and payment up front can certainly be handled via a paypal type mechanism. Seems the main road block then would be distribution.

If we knew it could be acquired through a store near Bardstown (not to name any names of a new SB member and bestest friend who happens to run a store in that area for example...) then perhaps it could be distributed at the April Sampler or September Festival. Those that can't get there might have another member from their region who could bring back their bottles for them and find a way to distribute them locally.

Could work, especially for members within reasonable driving distance of Bardstown. Might be a bit tricker for those farther away. And it would take a committment from one or more people to be the primary administrator(s) and record keepers.

I would certainly be willing to participate if it was, as noted earlier, something sufficiently unusual (say barrel proof of something not normally barrel proof or a fairly uncommon brand not readily available across the country).

We are working on some barrel selections for my buying cooperative from KBD and Four Roses to begin with but with plans to have a constant supply of them. It has been quite slow to begin with. I guess everything with bourbon takes time.

We would be interested in heading something like this up. It needs to be arranged by early summer to have the bottles in store by the bourbon festival. Barrel strength offerings will usually yield 140-180 bottles. Only a few places are offering full strength barrel selections. We are still fairly new so we dont have the same pull that other bigger retailers and chains have. Wild Turkey plans to implement a barrel selection program once they finish a facilities upgrade. Given the praise of the new RR single Barrel, that might be an option.

I would also lend my bourbon buying skills and would pick up 3-4 bottles. My vote is for Willett (wheater'd be nice), Four Roses, or HH.

Theoretically I'd buy a 12x case (or two) assuming I was actually part of the tasting and selection team at the distillery.

Weller from BT, ideally 8-10 years old, barrel proof. I'd take 12x if that was the pick. Cut it down to just under 100 proof and you've got one version of the SB blend.

Weller from BT, ideally 8-10 years old, barrel proof. I'd take 12x if that was the pick. Cut it down to just under 100 proof and you've got one version of the SB blend.

Unfortunately BT won't sell their single barrel program bourbons at proof other than the usual for that particular bottle. So Weller max is 107.

You'd have to get it from KBD to get barrel proof BT...

Unfortunately BT doesn't off Weller in barrel proof. Of course Weller Antique could be any older age and if bottled at 107 proof would meet the label requirement.

Unfortunately BT doesn't off Weller in barrel proof. Of course Weller Antique could be any older age and if bottled at 107 proof would meet the label requirement.

Word on the street is that BT isn't even offering 7 year old barrels for OWA selections right now, let alone anything older.

I'll throw in again.... and I don't intend to be negative, just realistic...

This thread is taking a typical well worn path that has been seen several times in the past. Everyone wants in, everyone has an opinion on what distillery/barrel should be selected but no one has the contacts/time/money/interest to take ownership and see such a venture through. I know from seeing the PVW 23 barrel purchase evolve that it takes months of planning and thousands of dollars to put together.

There's also the issue of legality. I doubt Jim would authorise using the SB name just because we asked.....

Edited by camduncan

Which brand did you have in mind Hugh, choosing only from those available of course.

You know me. Definitely Parker's Heritage Wheated mashbill it could be 12-13 years old now or Willett 17/18 all at cask strength. If possible PVW23, WLW, GTS, PVW15, Lot B, PVWFRR.

This will be very special and very easy to get commitment with upfront payment to cover the whole barrel. For any of this and with reasonable retail prices, I will sign up at least 12 bottles or more.

Cheers

Hugh

You know me. Definitely Parker's Heritage Wheated mashbill it could be 12-13 years old now or Willett 17/18 all at cask strength. If possible PVW23, WLW, GTS, PVW15, Lot B, PVWFRR.

This will be very special and very easy to get commitment with upfront payment to cover the whole barrel. For any of this and with reasonable retail prices, I will sign up at least 12 bottles or more.

Cheers

Hugh

Sadly I think that private barrels of brands such as these (obviously excluding Willett) is something that was much more a 2007 thing than a 2013 thing - as was posted earlier, the vast majority of us who are here now were not here in 2007. Bourbon was much less of a big deal. The politics of doing such a thing now make it impossible. What would Binny's, a major private barrel customer, think? What about TPS, K&L, anyone who buys many barrels? The extra-aged, age stated ETLs done a few years back caused a ruckus and BT has done nothing similar since, as far as I know. To do so now would be a PR disaster.

Sadly I think that private barrels of brands such as these (obviously excluding Willett) is something that was much more a 2007 thing than a 2013 thing - as was posted earlier, the vast majority of us who are here now were not here in 2007. Bourbon was much less of a big deal. The politics of doing such a thing now make it impossible. What would Binny's, a major private barrel customer, think? What about TPS, K&L, anyone who buys many barrels? The extra-aged, age stated ETLs done a few years back caused a ruckus and BT has done nothing similar since, as far as I know. To do so now would be a PR disaster.
Who puts these lucid thoughts in your head Jim?

I could be wrong on this, but from what I've seen, heard and read, most barrel selections now (with a few exceptions) are stock standard offerings that differ little from the standard product on the shelf at a local retailer.

Sadly Hugh, such whiskys are not sold by the barrel, things have changed.

Jim is correct. Now the major players have taken the field and the distillerys are disinclined to set aside a prime barrel for a handful of enthusiasts to the detriment of their day in and day out customers.

Sadly Hugh, such whiskys are not sold by the barrel, things have changed.

Jim is correct. Now the major players have taken the field and the distillerys are disinclined to set aside a prime barrel for a handful of enthusiasts to the detriment of their day in and day out customers.

That's terrible. Aren't we the whole hearted day in and day out customers for this bourbon!

Hugh

Edited by tigerlam92

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!