PVW 23 bottled for SB.com members

dryeager
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The rules were distributed to all who received bottles in the barrel purchase, so claiming you didn't know is not an excuse.

If he was "liquidating" his/her bourbon collection, then being banned from future selections is a moot point.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point other posters have made is that 2007 was a long time ago in terms of the bourbon industry. The likelihood of Heaven Hill making a private single barrel release of something like PHC today is extremely extremely low. If they did, they'd have to make the same option available for large retailers like TPS, K&L, Binny's, etc.

If another SB barrel purchase were to occur, it would unfortunately be a much more "pedestrian" choice than the previous PVW23

They wont do it. I looked into EC barrel strength private selection for my store after initially being told that it was possible. It was quickly shut down once it was "run up the flagpole".

Most normal size stores get 2 three bottle cases of PHC. To allow one place to do it for a group of enthusiasts would be a kind gesture. However the reality is that every large retailer in the country would complain about it and threaten them with pulling product etc. Even the smallest threat to the bottom line causes large companies to take an ultra conservative stance.

I should think a pedestrian bottle of barrel proof Heaven Hill would make a fine breakfast whisky.

They wont do it. I looked into EC barrel strength private selection for my store after initially being told that it was possible. It was quickly shut down once it was "run up the flagpole".

Most normal size stores get 2 three bottle cases of PHC. To allow one place to do it for a group of enthusiasts would be a kind gesture. However the reality is that every large retailer in the country would complain about it and threaten them with pulling product etc. Even the smallest threat to the bottom line causes large companies to take an ultra conservative stance.

I ran into this issue even back in 2004. I wanted to purchase a barrel of SW bourbon from Julian. He liked the idea of selling a barrel to an "enthusiast" so went to BT management to organize it. They balked initially for the reason that "Selling a whole barrel to an individual takes quite a few bottles out of the supply chain to retailers and we're short PVW whiskey." After 6 months of prodding, Kris Comstock gave in and I eventually selected a barrel of Lot B. I had originally wanted a barrel of 10/107 but in the time it took to get set up, Julian was no longer using 100% SW in the 10/107 bottling so I went with the 12yo.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point other posters have made is that 2007 was a long time ago in terms of the bourbon industry. The likelihood of Heaven Hill making a private single barrel release of something like PHC today is extremely extremely low. If they did, they'd have to make the same option available for large retailers like TPS, K&L, Binny's, etc.

If another SB barrel purchase were to occur, it would unfortunately be a much more "pedestrian" choice than the previous PVW23

Of course none of that is meant to suggest we have a good chance to get a deal like what happened in 2007 in today's environment. Just that it could happen if the right people wanted to make it happen!

I said this before in other similiar threads but I'll say it again. If you want to make a group barrel purchase, then form you own group with those you trust and decide among your limited group what to buy. The odds of another SB barrel are slim to none. Way more mebers now and every pulling in diffrent direction to come a consensus. The other major impediment now is no retailer will ship to all 50 states; most only ship to limited amount of states.

I noticed one of these sold on whiskyauction.com last year. Given the rarity, the final bid was considerably low (327 €). Thanks for all the info!

"Pappy van Winkle`s

30.March 1984

b.27.June 2007

23 years old

Bottle no. SB 2-57

Family Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

exclusively for Members of Straightbourbon.com

Alc. 47.8% / Vol. (95.6 proof), 750 ml."

http://whiskyauctionhistory.com/cgi-bin/auction/history.pl?&path=i/im1207/&pic=12071552&item=US018&auction=2012-07&bid=327

I noticed one of these sold on whiskyauction.com last year. Given the rarity, the final bid was considerably low (327 €). Thanks for all the info!

"Pappy van Winkle`s

30.March 1984

b.27.June 2007

23 years old

Bottle no. SB 2-57

Family Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

exclusively for Members of Straightbourbon.com

Alc. 47.8% / Vol. (95.6 proof), 750 ml."

http://whiskyauctionhistory.com/cgi-bin/auction/history.pl?&path=i/im1207/&pic=12071552&item=US018&auction=2012-07&bid=327

That was probably just for the highly valuable empty collectable bottle...

:slappin:

I'd definitely be in for a few bottles... assuming I'm a fan of the whiskey selected.

This thread long ago got way off course. Discussion (aka pipe dreams) of barrel purchases have their own sub-forum http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?58-Group-Barrel-Purchases and most of the other discussion was off topic, so I am closing this one since all the initial questions about the thread's topic have been covered.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!