PVW 23 bottled for SB.com members

dryeager
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not really Hugh, the amount of whisky I buy a week would only pay the wage of one distillery worker for about one hour.

I was told by a fairly large (in stature and position) with a major distillery that routinely does barrel selections but not at barrel strength, "if you do it for one, you have to do it for them all" when asked about the possibility of an older wheated bourbon selection.

With that said, I think there are excellent barrel selections available but they will not carry a big established "brand" name with them.

Whoops, I should have said pay for one hours labor as I automatically mentally included matching funds, healthcare and benefits like paid vacation.

Just re-asking MyOldKyDram's question...

Okay. So how did you come about this bottle and what member flipped it? :P

Trying not to talk out of school but to answer some questions since a pic is posted. This selection occured back in 2007 so my memory may be foggy on the details. I was part of the crew that selected the two barrels of PVW 23yo. Julian Van Winkle had a large number of barrels of 23yo and offered them up for a single barrel selection. He met us at BT and we tasted through 5 or six barrels. This bottle is from barrel number 2....our second favorite of the group. Binny's handled the receipt and subsequent shipping to everyone who bought some. I'm not a big fan of Pappy 23 as I generally find it too woody.....but not these SB's. They are sweet for a 23yo bourbon. I too would be curious as to which person sold/traded this bottle. There wasn't much produced from either barrel. And it wasn't a secret society here that got the bourbon. A thread was opened for interest and when the barrels were completely subscribed......it was closed to stop the "Why can't I have a bottle too" whinings.

......it was closed to stop the "Why can't I have a bottle too" whinings.

This should apply to all discussions regarding all of the Pappy products, including shortages and releases.

It's one of those things that you wished you had back over.

If I could I would have bought all of 'em.

Two barrels were selected by the group for SB.com and a third barrel was selected by and purchased by Cliff for his Kentucky Barrel Society and he cut some bottles lose for us from that barrel.

In the pic below you see from L to R,....

Bottle #SB 1-42

Bottle #KBS 1-52 (empty :cool:)

Bottle #SB 2-82

rsz_ec_013_zps8bc60bb7.jpg

Here is a recount of the day that I went to Chi-Town to pick my 3 bottles up.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?7822-Chi-Town-Road-Trip

Like Randy said, no woody taste.

I'm guessing we will not receive an answer to our very poignantly directed question,though I'd still like to know as well.

I'm guessing we will not receive an answer to our very poignantly directed question,though I'd still like to know as well.

Um, what was that very poignantly directed question?

That several had asked how it came into his possession.

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me,...so, how did it come into your possession?,....who ever you are 'cuz I also forgot about who you are!

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me,...so, how did it come into your possession?,....who ever you are 'cuz I also forgot about who you are!

The sale of this bottle violated section 7 of the Terms of Participation in the StraightBourbon.com Pappy 23 barrel purchase program back in 2007. It is reproduced below. The original owner is an inactive member (only 3 posts in the last 3 years) and will no longer be eligible to participate in any future StraightBourbon.com or Kentucky Barrel Society purchases.

7. No bottle from this program may be sold on eBay or otherwise made available for sale or auction. Any violation of the letter or spirit of this term of participation may result in the violator’s exclusion from participation in any future StraightBourbon.com or Kentucky Barrel Society bottling and expulsion from the StraightBourbon.com forum.

Edited by Barrel_Proof

The sale of this bottle violated section 7 of the Terms of Participation in the StraightBourbon.com Pappy 23 barrel purchase program back in 2007. It is reproduced below. This inactive member (only 3 posts in the last 3 years) will no longer be eligible to participate in any future StraightBourbon.com or Kentucky Barrel Society purchases.

7. No bottle from this program may be sold on eBay or otherwise made available for sale or auction. Any violation of the letter or spirit of this term of participation may result in the violator’s exclusion from participation in any future StraightBourbon.com or Kentucky Barrel Society bottling and expulsion from the StraightBourbon.com forum.

Sorry for the interrogation. Seemed an obvious enough set of questions to me.

Wow, I wonder if the seller was aware of that rule. Hope the guy isn't experiencing financial hardship by selling his collection.

Please.

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

The bigger news here is that a spot has now opened up in the StraightBourbon.com Pappy 23 barrel purchase program.

To the Delorean!

To the Delorean!

Marty arrives in less than 2 years; 2015. Has anybody figured out how to kill robots yet?

As far as the seller violating the rules, I say enforce the rules and boot him.

The rules were distributed to all who received bottles in the barrel purchase, so claiming you didn't know is not an excuse.

I respect the comments made by participants in the barrel purchase back in 2007. It really takes a lot of time and financial risk to organize anything involving 200+ essentially random people. There's also the limitation that the product can't stray from something that is already produced for retail. It would seem that the benefit of a SB.com barrel purchase is two-fold: allocation of a limited production bourbon and whatever unique qualities exist from said barrel(s).

Heaven Hill would be my distiller choice, for two reasons: ECBP and PHC. These would be very special bottles in anyone's collection, and a SB.com selection would be even more unique. I personally like HH as a business.

The financial risk can be reduced by developments in crowdsourcing and other low effort collection methods, though the logistics of buying and distributing spirits is probably still a pain.

Heaven Hill would be my distiller choice, for two reasons: ECBP and PHC. These would be very special bottles in anyone's collection, and a SB.com selection would be even more unique. I personally like HH as a business.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point other posters have made is that 2007 was a long time ago in terms of the bourbon industry. The likelihood of Heaven Hill making a private single barrel release of something like PHC today is extremely extremely low. If they did, they'd have to make the same option available for large retailers like TPS, K&L, Binny's, etc.

If another SB barrel purchase were to occur, it would unfortunately be a much more "pedestrian" choice than the previous PVW23

Benchmark Old No. 8 - Hand Selected by the Members of StraightBourbon.com - Bottle 1,307 / 2,680

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!