What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was long time to close that huge thread and start a new one, so I'll start it off with what I had last night.

A little taste of Ardbeg Corryvreckan, followed by some Caol Ila Cask Strength (Distillery bottling) which is pretty much my go to favorate CS other than Uigea maybe. And then had some St. Magdalene 19 year which I just don't get, maybe my pallate isn't sophisticated enough yet, but I just don't see what Johannes saw in this whisky to be one of his all time favorites. Hopefully as I experience more SM I'll better appreciate things I don't pick up yet.

Perhaps it's the whisky rather than your palate. I learned a long time ago there will be some single malts I won't care for no matter how much some others may like them.

Finally had a chance to try Kavalan last night. I really enjoyed all of the offerings, but really enjoyed the fino bottle. Also found a great old friend, Nikka Coffee grain.

Checked out a new wine and spirits store here in Knoxville TN http://www.corkstn.com/site/ called Corks and bought another Glenfiddich 15 for about $60. Their Scotch and American whiskey selections are pretty small at the moment, but they plan to increase it considerably over time. Lots of people seem to dismiss Glenfiddich as just an entry-level whisky (using terms like "accessible"), but I think its just about the best Scotch around for my money. The 12 is good, the 15 is great, and the 18 is back to just good, imo.

Finally had a chance to try Kavalan last night. I really enjoyed all of the offerings, but really enjoyed the fino bottle. Also found a great old friend, Nikka Coffee grain.

Kavalan was the highlight of WhiskyFest for me. I really liked all of their CS offerings.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Deanston Virgin Oak (8 yr.)? I tried it recently at Binny's World of Whiskey and it stood out to me. I tried their 12 yr. after and preferred the 8, so I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it for its own merits or just relative to the 12. Nonetheless, at $30 for a tasty unchillfiltered single malt, I'm planning on grabbing a bottle soon.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Deanston Virgin Oak (8 yr.)? I tried it recently at Binny's World of Whiskey and it stood out to me. I tried their 12 yr. after and preferred the 8, so I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it for its own merits or just relative to the 12. Nonetheless, at $30 for a tasty unchillfiltered single malt, I'm planning on grabbing a bottle soon.

Perfect example of how people's tastes differ so much. I've tasted over 200 single malt scotches, many I would not buy due to price but the Deanston virgin oak is probably the only one I would never buy again - regardless of price!

Macallan 12. First Scotch in over a year. Trying to get back into it and this is a good place for me to start.

Had a friend over Saturday night and put a big dent in a bottle of Redbreast 12 while we sat out on the patio for the first time this year.

Lots of people seem to dismiss Glenfiddich as just an entry-level whisky (using terms like "accessible"), but I think its just about the best Scotch around for my money. The 12 is good, the 15 is great, and the 18 is back to just good, imo.

So agreed with the 12 and 15! (no experience with the 18, tho')

The 'fiddich 15 might be my favorite 80 proof whisky. Just really excellent juice for the slight markup (here it's $41).

Over the weekend I was able to enjoy some really unique Irish and Scotch whiskies. BenRiach cask strength, Cutty Sark cask strength, and Yellow Spot (SO GOOD!) all jump out as delicious. Really, REALLY wished I had thrown the BenRiach into one of my Master of Malt orders last fall.

Those were all pretty great, and I'd just like to add the Nikka and your Bere Barley to the mix. Very nice.

Forgot about the Nikka. That was very tasty as well. It was a wild night Saturday, I'm sure some other whiskies fell through the cracks. I wonder how many times I said "oh, s***, I forget what's in my glass"?

Glad you enjoyed the Bruichladdich. It really is a favorite of mine.

The 'fiddich 15 might be my favorite 80 proof whisky. Just really excellent juice for the slight markup (here it's $41).

I am in agreement with you guys on this one. The Glenfiddich 15 is one of my favorites and I prefer the 15 to the 18. IMO, 15 years is the sweet spot for scotch. A lot of my favorites are right in that range.

Tried a $37 dram of Glendronach 33 at the bar. Dark chocolate color, lovely nose, thin mouthfeel, and a tight finish. Definitely not over the hill, but would not buy a bottle unless it was a screaming deal. At 40% ABV it felt a little wimpy compared to the 1993 cask strength I got from K&L this year.

Had a small pour of MacAllan Cask Strength - good but a "cleaner" Sherried malt than the Glendronach I had been enjoying as of late. I think I prefer the Glendronach but the MacAllan is cheaper and more readily available around these parts.

I started with a nice glass of Lagavulin 12yo CS from 2011 last night. The fruit in the malt stood out to me and makes such a great balance with the focused smoke of the salty, sulphuric peat. I'll be sad to retire this bottle. It scratches an itch that's not going anywhere anytime soon, but $90 is a steep price to pay for a bottle I'd like to never be without. So I'll probably have to be without it after all.

I moved on to a few pours of Longmorn 15. Much of the cork ended up in this dusty bottle upon opening, but any negative influence from this (whether real or imagined) has dissipated because I was enjoying the hell out of it last night. The sherry influence is unlike anything I've had before with silky raisins and prunes balanced by sweeter strawberry jam and nutty figs. I know I saw another one of these on a shelf somewhere around here... Where was it?!

I started with a nice glass of Lagavulin 12yo CS from 2011 last night. The fruit in the malt stood out to me and makes such a great balance with the focused smoke of the salty, sulphuric peat. I'll be sad to retire this bottle. It scratches an itch that's not going anywhere anytime soon, but $90 is a steep price to pay for a bottle I'd like to never be without. So I'll probably have to be without it after all.

I moved on to a few pours of Longmorn 15. Much of the cork ended up in this dusty bottle upon opening, but any negative influence from this (whether real or imagined) has dissipated because I was enjoying the hell out of it last night. The sherry influence is unlike anything I've had before with silky raisins and prunes balanced by sweeter strawberry jam and nutty figs. I know I saw another one of these on a shelf somewhere around here... Where was it?!

I haven't had a Longmorn but Ralfy really loves the 15 and 30 yr old. http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/search?q=Longmorn Definitely one to keep an eye out for when looking in a shop with excellent selection.

It's been a good number of years since I've had Longmorn 15 but the memory is fond and the retail price I paid 20+ years ago would bring tears to a grown man's eyes today.

Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12. Pears, Granny Smith Apples and just enough smoke to make it richer and almost savory. Super sweet and balanced, but the peating takes this to entirely new level. The flavors are distinctly Japanese when you know what it is, but blind? 9 times out of 10 I'd call it as an exceptional Campbeltown malt.

The craftsmanship on this one is excellent. A real score for anybody who likes the sweet vs. savory flavors in some finished & mild smoke Islays or the traditional Springbank-style bottles. No peat monster here - it's all about balance.

My dream now is to find a CS version of a Hakashu...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!