What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was feeling a little strange after a Winter of peat-opia, I wasn't really interested in the Islay style lately. Poured a few glasses of Laphroaig 10 Year CS batch #4 this week, and promptly changed my tune.

I have been drinking mostly bourbon all Spring and into Summer, and I'm now understanding how the peat can be off-putting to some after their palates have acclimated to the American style.

I was feeling a little strange after a Winter of peat-opia, I wasn't really interested in the Islay style lately. Poured a few glasses of Laphroaig 10 Year CS batch #4 this week, and promptly changed my tune.

I have been drinking mostly bourbon all Spring and into Summer, and I'm now understanding how the peat can be off-putting to some after their palates have acclimated to the American style.

The two styles are so dramatically different some people can never get acclimated to scotch after only drinking bourbon. I have no real trouble shifting gears, probably because I started drinking scotch whiskey before I drank bourbon.

Bourbon tastes as mild and as sweet as a desert in comparison to a real man's whisky. :cool:

I think that's the exact definition of what a real man chooses to drink.

Every single day of the year is made for Islay pours. And also Bourbon. And Rye. And other Scotch.

Just never for Vodka... no such thing as a Vodka day for me... I prefer my water without alcohol.

I prefer my water without alcohol.

Funny, I prefer my alcohol with out water, or ice for that matter.

No one is allowed to criticize my choice of drink unless they first pick up my bar tab.

Funny, I prefer my alcohol with out water, or ice for that matter.

Well, I occasionally will add a drop or two to a CS pour... So I can't say the inverse of my original statement is 100% true. :cool:

No one is allowed to criticize my choice of drink unless they first pick up my bar tab.

If we ever meet in the flesh, maybe I will do that. :)

And you can drink whatever the hell you want. :lol:

Decided to splurge after a beer and burger at the bar and had them pour me a dram of the Yamazaki 1984. I know it was distilled in 1984, bottled in 2009, and has influence from American, Spanish and Japanese barrels. This stuff is deep, fragrant, burly juice, but it's also lithe, agile and vibrant. A sumo wrestler expertly doing ballet poses. Roasted almonds and stewed pears over a bed of sandalwood and pipe tobacco on the nose, giving way to a taste of dense creme brûlée, hints of tangerine, and loads of melon/pear fruity sweetness developing mid palate into a clean, malty, toasty heat that works nicely into an immense finish of sandalwood, pipe tobacco, lavender and burnt sugar. Very tame, balanced wood for the age and a stunner neat. Wish I'd thought to play with a drop or two of water, but it was just too good.

post-9252-14489819087241_thumb.jpg

Just opened a bottle of E.H. Taylor Tornado. Enjoying a dram neat. All I can say is I'm sure as hell glad I picked up 3 bottles of this stuff. :bigeyes:

I think Linkwood is one of the base malts used in scotch blends - I haven't had to chance to try it yet but need to give it a whirl next time I'm at the bar.

If you have had JW Green (before it becomes a dusty!) then you get a chance to taste a bit of Linkwood along with the other main single malt components, Talisker, Caol Isla and Craggenmore.

A really interesting but different whisky to me.

A Linkwood distillery expression is one dusty I would like to come across.

If you have had JW Green (before it becomes a dusty!) then you get a chance to taste a bit of Linkwood along with the other main single malt components, Talisker, Caol Isla and Craggenmore.

A really interesting but different whisky to me.

Edited by ChainWhip

Have had JWGreen but would like to try Linkwood on its own. Good to know that it's in my JWG though!

It's amazing what you can learn around here!

The Whisky Exchange (and no doubt others) is ready when you are! A number of distillery and independent bottlings of this on their website (I have no affiliation with this or any other retailer!) but I don't know if it can be found on this side of the pond.

I did find this one but I know nothing about them.

Thanks B!

I also found OB versions of Linkwood & Mortlach @ LFW - gonna see if peeps here are interested in splitting a bottle.

Thanks B!

I also found OB versions of Linkwood & Mortlach @ LFW - gonna see if peeps here are interested in splitting a bottle.

LFW? Loch Fyne? Is that your go to site?

dram of Rendevous Rye, followed by a Ritt 100 BIB mint julep, and a dram of PVW 15. Today's been a good day.

LFW? Loch Fyne? Is that your go to site?

Yep, Loch Fyne. Not necessarily my "go to" site but they have good prices. I think the shop was recently sold so I hope they're able to keep things going.

Broke my booze fast with Hakushu 12 tonight while on chat - good dram & good company!

Found a couple of samples that I pulled from Tom's Ardbeg Galileo and Laphroaig Cairdeas bottles from awhile back at a V&T club meeting. Thanks again Tom!

Yup, still hate both of them.

The Galileo has that nasty cloying, sweetness to it that totally ruins the dram. Just a sappy, icky taste.

The Cairdeas has this level of funk to it that just doesn't sit right with me. And as with the Galileo, I just think the spirit lacks a lot of the distillery character. I know Tim likes this one but I've given it several tries now and I'm just not a fan.

Glenfarclas 12. Not bad, but it didn't do a ton for me. Had the 105 last week and liked it more, but even that was a little on the bland side. Definitely well made and solid, but nothing I'm going to track down. I've read that their Family Cask bottlings are the really good ones, so maybe I'll see if I can find any of those.

I picked up a bottle of Cutty Sark Prohibition, 50%abv. Surprisingly good. Definitely a contender for affordable daily dram of the year.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!