What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oh let's see... It was a good night:

Glenfarclas 17

Nikka Yoichi 15

Nikka Taketsuru 17

Suntory Hibiki 17

Suntory Yamazaki Sherry Cask

The Ardbog sounds like a must buy for me. Appreciate the quick review Tim!

My only recent dram was a healthy pour of Balvenie 15 a few nights ago. Just haven't been feeling the dark side the last month or so.

Wish I could try Ardbog before buying. After Day was nothing special (IMO) and Galileo I was all set on skipping this, but the Bog sounds interesting at least. Thanks Tim.

Oh let's see... It was a good night:

Glenfarclas 17

Nikka Yoichi 15

Nikka Taketsuru 17

Suntory Hibiki 17

Suntory Yamazaki Sherry Cask

Good night indeed. How did the Glenfarclas perform among all of those fantastic Japanese whiskeys?

Good night indeed. How did the Glenfarclas perform among all of those fantastic Japanese whiskeys?

Honestly, my palate was pretty fried by the time I got to the last one (Glenfarclas) - what I didn't list was I also had Blanton's (for the first time) & Vintage 17.

Small pours but I think it was as well balanced as any of the Japanese malts we had last night. I just don't remember much more for the 'Farclas.

The star of the night was the Yamazaki Sherry Cask though.

I've been so unimpressed with nearly everything I've purchased in the last two months, a real negative Nancy (or belligerent bad_scientist). That changed yesterday. I bought a Bruichladdich Bere Barley 2006 using the Kynagarry Farms malt. Wow!

When you have a glass of Jura, do you wish it had MORE farmyard notes?

When you have a Springbank, do you wish that industrial/diesel taste was not just in the finish?

When you have a sherried Speysider, do you wish you knew who the hell is responsible for putting this crap in your glass?

You might like the Bere Barley if you have had these feelings. It's all about naked barley flavors, heavy on vanilla but not creamy - more like grassy and a bit herbal. it's like tasting the scent of a field on a hot summer day, mixed with a vanilla liqueur. Though it's unpeated, it does have the aforementioned diesel fuel component that I associate with bourbon cask aged Springbank and, to a much stronger extent, Port Ellen. It has more in common with Springbank, actually, than with any other malt I've had. I had it next to a Springbank 10 from 2011, and the Springer came off as really sweet, almost like crystallized barley sugar, compared to the Bere Barley. It also had a bit less character, a bit more porridge notes. Otherwise, they hit similar notes.

The best part, how you know you made the right choice? You completely forget about what you could have bought instead!

Honestly, my palate was pretty fried by the time I got to the last one (Glenfarclas) - what I didn't list was I also had Blanton's (for the first time) & Vintage 17.

Small pours but I think it was as well balanced as any of the Japanese malts we had last night. I just don't remember much more for the 'Farclas.

The star of the night was the Yamazaki Sherry Cask though.

Edited by Max Power

Enjoyed the Ardbog a lot but I doubt that I'm in the market for a bottle.

Didn't think the Ardbog was coming out this soon, but doesn't sound like anything I need to rush out and look for from what I'm seeing so far. Bummer.

Ardbog is better than Galileo (by far...), about on par with Alligator and not quite as good as Day.

I'm an Ardbeg fanboy, but it's a oncer. I've turned down additional chances to grab a few more bottles - I'll still with just one, and go buy more Uigadale.

Ardbog is better than Galileo (by far...), about on par with Alligator and not quite as good as Day.

I'm an Ardbeg fanboy, but it's a oncer. I've turned down additional chances to grab a few more bottles - I'll still with just one, and go buy more Uigadale.

I like your perspective on this I will end up with one I'm sure as it sounds like ours tastes are somewhat aligned.I will have to agree the Galileo fell to new lows for Ardbeg,just unbalanced and some odd notes throughout.

This might sound a little crazy. I was going through my shelf and wanted something I haven't drank in a while so I pulled the Mellow Corn from the back. It struck me that it is similar to the Bruichladdich Bere Barley I have been working on, so I pour a second glass of that. I'm going back and forth and the Bere is much more open and has a lot more going on, but there's just something about them that is the same. The Bere is like Mellow Corn plus. They could be cousins.

Friday night my son, who's home from law school for a week, and I got into some Bowmore 12. It's not one I turn to often, but it seemed like a good idea after drinking beer all afternoon. It was a cool, damp evening (aren't too many of those left here). Sitting outside, the Bowmore hit the spot.

Had a small pour of Kilchoman 2010 Summer Release that I got from a trade with a gracious SB member. I'm impressed with this young Islay and the great people that put their efforts into making this beautiful expression. Clean peat, sea/brine, citrus, oak/vanilla... good stuff.

I'll be looking forward to adding Kilchoman to my bunker.

And now finishing off the night with 25ml of Compass Box Oak Spice Tree

Love Kilchoman! Great people and they're really putting forth a great proudest with lots of potential for exceptional drams in the future. Anthony Wills is a great guy if you ever get the chance to meet him.

post-6524-14489819072135_thumb.jpg

post-6524-14489819071718_thumb.jpg

I agree with this assessment. The Lagavulin 16 iodine was what made me really fall in love with good single malts. After all the normal releases, special releases, and limited releases from other distilleries, Lagavulin 16 still stands as one of my favorite drams. The only downside is that my money goes to Diageo.

Agree with everyone else. Lag 16 is just an exceptional dram. The first time Tom H poured me some it was love at first taste. And if you can get them for $55 a bottle.....an absolute steal!!!

My son and I did exactly the same thing, good times.

Good times, indeed.

Agree with everyone else. Lag 16 is just an exceptional dram. The first time Tom H poured me some it was love at first taste. And if you can get them for $55 a bottle.....an absolute steal!!!

Love Kilchoman! Great people and they're really putting forth a great proudest with lots of potential for exceptional drams in the future. Anthony Wills is a great guy if you ever get the chance to meet him.

[ATTACH]15480[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15481[/ATTACH]

Finished off a bottle of Bruichladdich "Laddie 10". I enjoyed this dram and will replace it.

I don't get into this side of the forum often, but I had to share this one. I was recently introduced by a friend to a Duncan Taylor bottling called The Octave- this one is a cask strength 12 yo Linkwood. It was simply one of the best whiskies of any kind that I have ever had. Well balanced and incredibly smooth. My tastes don't run to the peated side, so those who prefer that may not like this; but I would encourage anyone to give this a try if you can find it. Apparently there is also a Cragganmore The Octave that is also very good, but I haven't tried that personally yet.

I think Linkwood is one of the base malts used in scotch blends - I haven't had to chance to try it yet but need to give it a whirl next time I'm at the bar.

Edited by ChainWhip

I don't get into this side of the forum often, but I had to share this one. I was recently introduced by a friend to a Duncan Taylor bottling called The Octave- this one is a cask strength 12 yo Linkwood. It was simply one of the best whiskies of any kind that I have ever had. Well balanced and incredibly smooth. My tastes don't run to the peated side, so those who prefer that may not like this; but I would encourage anyone to give this a try if you can find it. Apparently there is also a Cragganmore The Octave that is also very good, but I haven't tried that personally yet.

The entire Octave range is good. Octave casks are like 1/4-1/8 sized casks that they use at some point for this line up. There's probably at least 2-3 dozen expressions from almost all the big distilleries in the Octave lineup, but i think fewer than 1/2 of them make their way over here.

Most tend to be excellent. I've had 8-9 different bottlings and each was worth the price.

Pictures of some of the distilleries they offer:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.484145324949494.107004.110380065659357&type=3

One doesn't come across Linkwood very often, it's usually found in private bottlings as the bulk of the distillery's product goes into blending. The Flora & Fauna 12 year old is a light, fragrant, floral, complex whisky along the lines of Glenmorangie. I would stay away from the 'finished' expressions if I was looking to find the true character of Linkwood.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!