Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It maybe the last batch coming out ever.

Is this one of the lines they are killing with the move to NAS? It happens to be one of my whiskey buddies favorite scotch, I'll have to see about getting a few bottles for him so I have gifts for his next few birthdays. Nothing like giving someone their no long available favorite whiskey :)

Nothing new in my shelf today, though I did notice that Balvenie 15 year SB suddenly took a jump up in price, I can't find it online for less than $85 anywhere! Previously I had a place that had it for $65 then $73 shipped which was ok, now they want $95 as well! I just checked them a few weeks ago but apparently things are changing, and not for the better. Do places usually raise prices in the fall? This is one of my favorite scotches too :(

Also saw a note on the Redbreast 21yo on Serges website whilst digging around for info on the Storm that suggested retail price was around 180 euros (about $245).

YIKES!

I guess that shouldn't really be such a big surprise but still...

Man, I just picked up one of their cask strength 12 years 2 weeks back to try since I like the 12 so much. It seemed like a stretch at $60, $245 for the 21 year is just too much for me, even if it is great.

I stopped into TPS on Thursday for the first time:

Four Roses Small Batch LE

HH White BIB

HH Gold BIB

Charter 101

VOB BIB

Looking forward to trying all of these.

I went to grab a cheap bottle of red last night on the way to a friend's house, but I ended up scanning the liquor selection at a weird little store by my house. The most interesting thing they have is Chivas. But then I spy a random bottle of Springbank 10/100 hanging out on a shelf behind the counter. It looked pretty dusty and had a older white label...

Me: "How much is that bottle of Springbank?"

Him: "What? Oh, that? I don't know."

(silence)

Me: "Well...what do you want for it?"

Him: "I don't know."

(silence)

Me: "Ummm...I'll give you $20."

(puts bottle in paper sack and hands it to me like I'm going to walk out the store sipping it)

My wife rolled her eyes pretty hard when I got in the car with more than a bottle of wine. Then she got pissed because she saw it was Springbank, which she knows tends towards the upper end of the single malt price spectrum. When I told it was only $20 she didn't believe me. When I showed her the receipt she was approving.

Laphroaig Cairdeas. I passed on this one a couple if weeks ago, but tried a sample from a friend and immediately regretted that decision. Fortunately, Specs got more and I got a bottle yesterday. Its a special release 10 year old finished for a year in port pipes. Its smoky, peaty, fruity, spicy and fantastic!

Nice find!! I must say, I'm very jealous! The only Springbank I've ever had was a 20 something year old that was from a barrel purchased by one of our Seattle 5 star restaurants. As my first time with that distillery I was quite impressed how good it was... then I saw how expensive the bottles are up here! So far I've been unable to pull a trigger on one but for $20... man, not too shabby at all :D

I went to grab a cheap bottle of red last night on the way to a friend's house, but I ended up scanning the liquor selection at a weird little store by my house. The most interesting thing they have is Chivas. But then I spy a random bottle of Springbank 10/100 hanging out on a shelf behind the counter. It looked pretty dusty and had a older white label...

(silence)

(silence)

(puts bottle in paper sack and hands it to me like I'm going to walk out the store sipping it)

My wife rolled her eyes pretty hard when I got in the car with more than a bottle of wine. Then she got pissed because she saw it was Springbank, which she knows tends towards the upper end of the single malt price spectrum. When I told it was only $20 she didn't believe me. When I showed her the receipt she was approving.

Not yesterday, but recently, Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist. This is a very pleasing delicate pour. I'd like to find more.

Picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Ardbog in Ohio while visiting my girlfriends family. Can't wait to get this back to chicago and spend some time with it.

(silence)

(silence)

Yes, I have had dreams not dissimilar. I never save receipts, however. I have learned to destroy the evidence in all cases. That way, truth or fib, she'll never really know...

Two Signatory bottlings from their Un-Chillfiltered Collection… 17 Year Imperial (1995) and 17 Year Longmorn Sherry Cask (1996). The Imperial bottling is notable because the distillery is closed.

Out prowling today and came up with some oldies but goodies. Presenting in alphabetical order:

Aberlour a'bunadh Batch No 14

Glenmorangie 10 year old (old version)

Laphroaig 15 year old (pre royal warrant)

Macallan Cask Strength (old version)

Scapa 14 year old

Talisker 18 year old (old bottle priced at $60)

Extending my foray into scotch, picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh, batch 44. Hopefully this batch won't have the sulphur issues reported in other batches.

Edited by miller542

Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie "The Lasanta" today. I've never had any of the Glenmorangie line before. Was tempted to get the regular 10yr but ultimately decided on the Lasanta as it is sherry cask finished. I'm normally a Islay guy so I want to see the difference.

Back from a trip to Peru for an Amazon River Boat voyage. Not much in the way of whiskey or even liquor to be hand on the river unless you like rot gut aguardiente!

Did stop by duty free when I discovered there was no money exchange past security at the Lima airport and I still had a pocket full of the local currency. I guess they want you to spend it on duty free. I of course obliged. Whiskey options were limited basically to JD and whisky options weren't much better if you didn't want one of the many colors of JW so I ended up with a 70cl of Balvenie Rum Cask and a liter of Dalwhinnie 15 since I had neither at the house yet. The Balvenie label appeared different than the bottles here in the states with the emphasis on "golden cask" rum barrel.

Wasn't really sure what either cost at home but I expect it wasn't much cheaper buying it at duty free. Although probably a better return than trying to convert back to dollars and getting the poor conversion rate and paying all the excessive fees! And it did add up to the right amount to use up most of the money left over.

post-8493-14489819907617_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Out prowling today and came up with some oldies but goodies. Presenting in alphabetical order:

Aberlour a'bunadh Batch No 14

Glenmorangie 10 year old (old version)

Laphroaig 15 year old (pre royal warrant)

Macallan Cask Strength (old version)

Scapa 14 year old

Talisker 18 year old (old bottle priced at $60)

Went ahead with a 1.75L of JW Gold today for low low price of $99 at my local Costco. Seeing as I've never seen this for less at $80per 750ml and I've been interested in grabbing a bottle before they're replaced by the Platinum I sprang for it.

Went ahead with a 1.75L of JW Gold today for low low price of $99 at my local Costco. Seeing as I've never seen this for less at $80per 750ml and I've been interested in grabbing a bottle before they're replaced by the Platinum I sprang for it.

Yeah I'm a sucker for things from 79, just gives me that one more reason to grab a bottle.

I have the same problem with 82. Still looking for a Macallan 18.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!