Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can I make this the which water of life should I purchase today thread for a minute? Laphroaig Cairdeas 2013 is around now, and probably not for long. I wasn't going to bother till i saw it's port wood finish. Anyone taste one? Will this be the same as the European bottle? I recall that past years might not have been. But the European reviews seem favorable.

Picked up a Powers John's Lane today. Impulse buy, but this may have overtaken Redbreast 12 CS as my favorite Irish whiskey.

Picked up a Powers John's Lane today. Impulse buy, but this may have overtaken Redbreast 12 CS as my favorite Irish whiskey.
I will have to agree with your statement above,I can see how it would appeal more to a bourbon drinker with its deeper richer flavors,just great stuff and for me it is firmly in my #1 spot currently.

That is saying something - the Redbreast 12 CS is a favorite, and I recently bought a John's Lane but I'm resisting opening it until I drain a bottle or two .... resistance .. fading ....

Put an overseas order in for a friend and figured it would be downright silly to not share the shipping cost with him.

untitled-3713-L.jpg

I like it all save the fact I wasn't the friend. :(

Let me know what you want, my man. Anytime.

I know brother, just funnin ya. Will get something together one of these days.

That is saying something - the Redbreast 12 CS is a favorite, and I recently bought a John's Lane but I'm resisting opening it until I drain a bottle or two .... resistance .. fading ....

Once you open the John's Lane, it will disappear fast. I couldn't stay out of my bottle. Soooo good. Must get another for the bunker soon.

I purchased the Dalmore Paterson Collection. I paid in royal baby silver coins. Please excuse me my short post, it is hard to type while simultaneously drinking Scotch and driving a Rolls Royce.

As long as you're not texting ... that would just be plain crazy ...

I purchased the Dalmore Paterson Collection. I paid in royal baby silver coins. Please excuse me my short post, it is hard to type while simultaneously drinking Scotch and driving a Rolls Royce.

A Rolls requires being driven. Bentleys are for driving, as any real snob will tell you. Hope you didn't spill any on your ascot.

Found Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban port finish and Lasanta sherry finish on sale for $36.99 (the third in the "extra matured" series, Nectar d'Or sauternes finished, was not on sale and cost considerably more but I already have that at the moment) so I couldn't resist adding them to my basket.

I don't think they have gotten reviews that were quite as strong as the Nectar d'Or but I think 12 year old finished whisky at that price is worth taking a chance on!

Had to be in a neighboring county yesterday so I took advantage and hit up as many shops as I could.

Wasn't sure I'd find anything else so I grabbed a cheaper bottle I hadn't seen before. Singleton of Glendullan 12 year, thought the bottle was cool and for $30 took a crack at it.

Then down the street at a store that didn't show up on Google Maps I found the old label HP15 and HP18 with old price tags. So much for not finding anything or keeping it cheap, but figuring I'll never see the two again for any cheaper I pulled the trigger.

Then found another gem of a store that had the Macallan CS Red Label for $57! haven't seen the current release under $75 anywhere else.

Really looking forward to cracking these open.

post-8877-14489819510061_thumb.jpg

Checking out a new store to me on the advice of others here and elsewhere. A rather interesting if disorganized collection of whisky. Perhaps not the largest selection in town I have seen but close. And definitely the largest collection of IB choices I have seen in one place.

Prices seemed a bit disorganized as well with HP18 still under $90 for example but Talisker 18 at $120 (had been $80ish just a few short months ago it seems!).

I did pick up a couple of Talisker 175th Anniversary bottles on a whim due to good reviews I had read, a Talisker 10 that came with a couple of funky rounded bottom glasses (like for a ship. Tilts with the deck!) and one of those HP18's for future consumption.

Saw bottles like a 32yo Ledaig 1972, a cask strength 17yo Macallan from Signatory, a couple of Samaroli bottlings for $350 and even a Charbay Release II sandwiched in between a Barry Crockett Legacy and a bunch of 1776 Pepper 15yo LDI bourbon going for some ridiculous price for no particular reason.

post-8493-1448981950952_thumb.jpg

It was fun to window shop!

post-8493-14489819507211_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819507779_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819508439_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819508979_thumb.jpg

Checking out a new store to me on the advice of others here and elsewhere. A rather interesting if disorganized collection of whisky. Perhaps not the largest selection in town I have seen but close. And definitely the largest collection of IB choices I have seen in one place.

Prices seemed a bit disorganized as well with HP18 still under $90 for example but Talisker 18 at $120 (had been $80ish just a few short months ago it seems!).

I did pick up a couple of Talisker 175th Anniversary bottles on a whim due to good reviews I had read, a Talisker 10 that came with a couple of funky rounded bottom glasses (like for a ship. Tilts with the deck!) and one of those HP18's for future consumption.

Saw bottles like a 32yo Ledaig 1972, a cask strength 17yo Macallan from Signatory, a couple of Samaroli bottlings for $350 and even a Charbay Release II sandwiched in between a Barry Crockett Legacy and a bunch of 1776 Pepper 15yo LDI bourbon going for some ridiculous price for no particular reason.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16159[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16163[/ATTACH]

Those are some nice looking Hirsch 25 ryes sitting there!

Those are some nice looking Hirsch 25 ryes sitting there!

Yeah, forgot about those. They had all manner of odd stuff mixed in with what was mostly a scotch display. At $200 I just wasn't sure it was for me. Afraid it would be too much wood. A 21 or 22 and I might have been inclined to try one.

I did pick up a couple of Talisker 175th Anniversary bottles on a whim...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16159[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16163[/ATTACH]

How much was the Talisker 175th?

Also curious about the Talisker 175th. I spotted some yesterday for $90. I passed because it appeared to be NAS but I know nothing about it.

Also curious about the Talisker 175th. I spotted some yesterday for $90. I passed because it appeared to be NAS but I know nothing about it.

$90 seems like a decent price. It was listed at $99.99 on K&L but is now apparently sold out. It is a NAS vatting of a number of different ages of Talisker malt whisky, reportedly a number of which are 20+. Just how much is that old and how much is 10yo or so whisky (or less?) is of course a mystery. Opinions vary but I found some pretty decent reviews.

I haven't really hit on a Scotch blog that I depend on yet but Serge seemed to like it for what ever that's worth! Scroll down to September 22nd, 2005.

The Malt Maniacs were a bit more reserved in their assessment.

Edited by tanstaafl2

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!