What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For curious minds.

1 part gasoline + 1 part lighter fluid + 1 part kerosine + a squirt of WD40= Malört

Biba! Joe

Sold.

One of the few bottles I have with a physical inclusion/s, in this case an Icelandic Birch twig:

IMG_4119.thumb.jpg.81c907ca3bd8772ec0e53295b4738b21.jpg

IMG_4120.thumb.jpg.fbdbc1c0755f1b44a743d00ebc0cab10.jpg

Your collection of spirits is truly amazing!!!!

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Your collection of spirits is truly amazing!!!!

Thank you!  It's been quite an adventure to date.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, Marekv8 said:

More tonic, less sugar. Now that the gym has been shuttered for a week-- burning this crap off is going to take some creativity.

IMG_4100.thumb.jpg.73099624013ed0d34e792d2f3e605e05.jpg

IMG_4099.thumb.jpg.1959d6eb425848db226c017777c36554.jpg

Wow! That Centerba is some potent stuff!

On 3/30/2020 at 12:51 PM, Marekv8 said:

Bitter days continue…

IMG_4110.thumb.jpg.49bc01fab7dd1ecdd22ac6c7e0cf6511.jpg

IMG_4105.thumb.jpg.86f5fd4ab6e9b411606c78d15099c799.jpg

Now we’re talking! I love my Gammel Dansk, especially this time of year. I just wish that I could find it in my area. I’m always toting bottles back from Denmark when we visit. 

On 3/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Marekv8 said:

I like the Jeppson's quite a bit-- the sweetness is dialed down low enough as to not diminish the experience. It's always my meal-ender (with black coffee) when visiting Chicago.

However-- it is Cinderella compared to the evil step-sister that is Cappeletti Elisir Novasalus.

Joe brought a bottle to Bardstown last year or the year before for anyone to try. It was just okay for me. It reminded me of a lighter version of Jaeger with maybe a bit more of the herbal bitterness of Gammel Dansk, but nowhere near as complex as that. I don’t understand why some folks think it is so offensive...talking to you Gary and Joe! ?

27 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Joe brought a bottle to Bardstown last year or the year before for anyone to try. It was just okay for me. It reminded me of a lighter version of Jaeger with maybe a bit more of the herbal bitterness of Gammel Dansk, but nowhere near as complex as that. I don’t understand why some folks think it is so offensive...talking to you Gary and Joe! ?

Speaking for myself, Jeff, I think it's offensive because it's horrible :D

Obviously YMMV :P

• I like it 1

☠️ ? ? ?  Absolutely horrid  stuff.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

☠️ ? ? ?  Absolutely horrid  stuff.

Biba! Joe

LOL! ? I remember you tried to give me the bottle that weekend in Bardstown. I should have said yes.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

LOL! ? I remember you tried to give me the bottle that weekend in Bardstown. I should have said yes.

I actually thought you did get that bottle Jeff.  CRS I reckon. ?  I know somebody got that bottle cause it didn’t come home with me.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! That Centerba is some potent stuff!

It's intended to be served heavily diluted with hot water as a tonic-- somewhat like this no-holds-barred 160 proof inland rum…

IMG_4141.thumb.jpg.f2a6bb7fc53a50042dfcfd9acfa0e0fd.jpg

• I like it 1

My initial thought was it was a rum night after a rather difficult week, however I settled into this too bad they lowered the proof on this at some point, the current iteration is still a good value but this was a heck of a pour for the coin and a reminder that whiskey wasn't the only quality thing that found it's way into a barrel in Lawrenceburg, IN. 

y4mP1UWoFcY78elCOrA9qqTMuP7ZtRNhH_jSJ7Aa

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

My initial thought was it was a rum night after a rather difficult week, however I settled into this too bad they lowered the proof on this at some point, the current iteration is still a good value but this was a heck of a pour for the coin and a reminder that whiskey wasn't the only quality thing that found it's way into a barrel in Lawrenceburg, IN. 

y4mP1UWoFcY78elCOrA9qqTMuP7ZtRNhH_jSJ7Aa

That stuff made a great Martini.  It didn't get lost in the vermouth and ice.

• I like it 1

On 3/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, Marekv8 said:

A triple tonic to build defenses…

IMG_4095.thumb.jpg.2bf61e0a90b78d3e282020d8ca690816.jpg

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.21fa34dfa715c3e50e6278b5645bb91c.jpg

IMG_4093.thumb.jpg.d6d1344fc911276e97cd799cbdfb3535.jpg

That is certainly as close to the bitter trinity as you can get! You don’t see Balsam every day. I think we have talked about this before but the one I have is from Uzbekistan.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That is certainly as close to the bitter trinity as you can get! You don’t see Balsam every day. I think we have talked about this before but the one I have is from Uzbekistan.

Most likely still classified, but you probably picked that up off of the Soviet KGB Agent you “neutralized” (body is still “missing”....)on the road to Dushanbe, while stealing the secret guidance system from a Russian SS20 ICBM mobile launcher back in late July of ‘83...By the way, there was a spike in Tajik and Soviet military personnel suffering broken necks from “accidentally” being thrown off camels during that same time period... You wouldn’t know anything about that would you????  ?

Just in from Chicago-- the new Barrel Aged variant of Jeppson's Malört, which supposedly spent around a year in ex-rum and bourbon casks. It lacks the Witch Hazel astringency of the original and the bitter notes seem bolder, yet rounder at the same time. This is my first bottle of the CH Distillery make-- so comparing it to an older Florida-produced bottle is not exactly a bad apple to bad apple comparison.

IMG_4178.thumb.jpg.d338d4223252fd2bedf2858a981e49df.jpg

On 4/5/2020 at 3:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

Most likely still classified, but you probably picked that up off of the Soviet KGB Agent you “neutralized” (body is still “missing”....)on the road to Dushanbe, while stealing the secret guidance system from a Russian SS20 ICBM mobile launcher back in late July of ‘83...By the way, there was a spike in Tajik and Soviet military personnel suffering broken necks from “accidentally” being thrown off camels during that same time period... You wouldn’t know anything about that would you????  ?

The road across the Chimtarga pass in the Fann mountains can be quite hazardous even in the summertime and bactrian camels can be a bit unpredictable...

Although any contact I had with camels was purely "incidental"!

?️ ? ☠️

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

bactrian camels

You of course washed thoroughly after handling those filthy things? Thank God antibiotics will work on 'em, which I understand is not the case with the viralian camels. Don't touch those.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.