What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Not really. I’ve got more Peanut Butter Whiskey than I have Japanese and Indian combined. 

That's why we are such a good community! No peanut butter "whiskey" here but plenty of Japanese and Indian whisky!

Having a bit of Balcones Rumble. It reminds of the fig preserves that my mother used to make. 

696C9FBE-C4CE-4871-9CCA-3052AB04CF07.jpeg

8 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Having a bit of Balcones Rumble. It reminds of the fig preserves that my mother used to make. 

696C9FBE-C4CE-4871-9CCA-3052AB04CF07.jpeg

Down to my last bottle of "Rumble Cask". Not surprisingly based on the name it is the cask strength version of this.  It was the "Atlanta Edition" likely meaning it was a BP cask blend allotment that was sent specifically to the Atlanta market in general. Only time it happeneded that I recall in Atlanta. Odd but interesting stuff. It was almost 8 years ago and before Chip Tate decided to come to a meeting with pistols at the ready...

Don't think  I have bought any Balcones since.

1870820179_Rumble1.JPG.c963d6532b0e58202e00354d74b50043.JPG1006371844_Rumble2.JPG.bbfe46acd4b7d67bed08dea73374b74c.JPG

Edited by tanstaafl2

Marekv8, (Dave) forgive me for not knowing, but is most of the "stuff" that you have posted lately, is it mainly for mixing or neat or both? 

20 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Marekv8, (Dave) forgive me for not knowing, but is most of the "stuff" that you have posted lately, is it mainly for mixing or neat or both? 

I typically drink these all neat to get a good feel for the flavor and structure. Plenty of folks use them in cocktails, so anything's game. Many have historic preparation/drinking rituals associated with them which I like to try as well. I often make 50/50 cocktails for the hell of it-- just to see if two interesting flavors can work well together.

• I like it 4

Crazy Icelandic liqueur. It's exactly like a Fisherman's Friend lozenge-- intense bracing eucalyptus with equal parts of sweet and salty notes that toggle back and forth.

IMG_4350.thumb.jpg.11b683a019be3a4a4115f322060945aa.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Crazy Icelandic liqueur. It's exactly like a Fisherman's Friend lozenge-- intense bracing eucalyptus with equal parts of sweet and salty notes that toggle back and forth.

That sounds fun!?!?!

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That sounds fun!?!?!

Yes, but just a warm-up for this wild one; another candy-based liqueur-- this time from Denmark. Intense salty and briny (fishy?) licorice on the front end transitioning to a weirdly sweet finish. Good thing that the bottle is sprayed with what appears to be opaque automotive paint-- as the liquid is literally gray with black particulate (picture used differential oil from a 1972 Cutlass).

IMG_4360.thumb.jpg.926e8e9aa19fb68bf372a691d739723a.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, but just a warm-up for this wild one; another candy-based liqueur-- this time from Denmark. Intense salty and briny (fishy?) licorice on the front end transitioning to a weirdly sweet finish. Good thing that the bottle is sprayed with what appears to be opaque automotive paint-- as the liquid is literally gray with black particulate (picture used differential oil from a 1972 Cutlass).

Just when I think you've gotta be out of new things to show us............. 

• I like it 2

Here's a classic for Steve… Bràulio is a northern Italian amaro with a lighter (less sweet and viscous) body and relatively low ABV (21%). Given the Alpine origins, it has a complex floral, evergreen tree and minty nature with a subtle (but very present) bitterness. Just tried a 50/50 blend with its Campari stablemate Wild Turkey Rare Breed… which didn't work out so well.

IMG_4332.thumb.jpg.e4439bc5099b6e8c523040e8e6ed2e79.jpg

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

IMG_4360.thumb.jpg.926e8e9aa19fb68bf372a691d739723a.jpg

For some reason the "Hot N' Sweet Premium Shot" make me think of a mixture of Hot Damn & Amaretto mixed together.  

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Here's a classic for Steve… Bràulio is a northern Italian amaro with a lighter (less sweet and viscous) body and relatively low ABV (21%). Given the Alpine origins, it has a complex floral, evergreen tree and minty nature with a subtle (but very present) bitterness. Just tried a 50/50 blend with its Campari stablemate Wild Turkey Rare Breed… which didn't work out so well.

IMG_4332.thumb.jpg.e4439bc5099b6e8c523040e8e6ed2e79.jpg

Yesssss..........this sounds really good.

I was getting excited about the blend until I got to the conclusion. I did like seeing that I'm not the only one who has a tendency to link Wild Turkey with Italian bitters and amaros.

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Yesssss..........this sounds really good.

I was getting excited about the blend until I got to the conclusion. I did like seeing that I'm not the only one who has a tendency to link Wild Turkey with Italian bitters and amaros.

For a great combo, I would recommend a 50/50 with Amaro Nonino, a beautifully made and aged spirit with subtle bitterness and delicate yet dominant orange/orange peel notes. Basically an Italian Old Fashioned with no prep time.

IMG_4361.thumb.jpg.06f2761841997d6e8c25729c440fcd0f.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

For a great combo, I would recommend a 50/50 with Amaro Nonino, a beautifully made and aged spirit with subtle bitterness and delicate yet dominant orange/orange peel notes. Basically an Italian Old Fashioned with no prep time.

I'm a big fan of Nonino. I have some on hand so I'll try this. Thanks!

I finally got up the nerve to sample the Herbsaint.  It has an aroma that sort of reminds me of my wife's makeup.  It tastes like licorice candy, maybe green fennel seeds.  It's very sweet.  A little goes a long way.  Back to cabinet, way back, next to the Southern Comfort.

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

I finally got up the nerve to sample the Herbsaint.  It has an aroma that sort of reminds me of my wife's makeup.  It tastes like licorice candy, maybe green fennel seeds.  It's very sweet.  A little goes a long way.  Back to cabinet, way back, next to the Southern Comfort.

I'm guessing the bottle in the middle? I've seen more tossed than consumed-- rinsing rocks glasses for Sazeracs. With the bars in New Orleans shuttered, I'm sure it's heavily stockpiled at present.

IMG_4367.thumb.jpg.21c8b7c7fe74e2a2026b2036e7d38b30.jpg

• I like it 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:27 PM, Marekv8 said:

Closest I have had to that was a liqueur called Fisk I think. That and Gammel Dansk.

Yes, that's the one.  I had purchased it back in my cocktail making days to make the Sazerac cocktail.  On its' own, too sugary for me.  If you can imagine chewing a whole handful of the Good and Plenty candy we used to get at the movie theater.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Marekv8 said:

Throw in an equal portion of Aperol and lemon juice and you have your self a modern classic cocktail, the Paper Plane.

Change the Aperol for Campari (or something better than Campari like Bruto or Gran Classico) and it becomes a Paper Airplane. 

A common but delicious misprint of the original Paper Airplane recipe use Ramazzotti instead of Amaro Nonino. Might be my favorite of the bunch!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Yes, that's the one.  I had purchased it back in my cocktail making days to make the Sazerac cocktail.  On its' own, too sugary for me.  If you can imagine chewing a whole handful of the Good and Plenty candy we used to get at the movie theater.

The Herbsaint Legendre (the first bottle with the red and brown label) is what I see more often these days. A 100 proof version in a liter bottle that was reintroduced in 2009 for the growing cocktail movement and theoretically more like the original from the 1930's (although it was 120 proof back then more like a true absinthe). That is what I keep in my own bar for Sazerac's, Vieux Carre's and the like. 

48 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Throw in an equal portion of Aperol and lemon juice and you have your self a modern classic cocktail, the Paper Plane.

Change the Aperol for Campari (or something better than Campari like Bruto or Gran Classico) and it becomes a Paper Airplane. 

A common but delicious misprint of the original Paper Airplane recipe use Ramazzotti instead of Amaro Nonino. Might be my favorite of the bunch!

More than two components gets too complicated for me. There's always the L’Aperitivo Nonino which somewhat splits the difference. I like this 50/50 even better than the earlier one…

IMG_4368.thumb.jpg.30c07ddce565b1e1e88b03ef117385fc.jpg

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Herbsaint Legendre (the first bottle with the red and brown label) is what I see more often these days. A 100 proof version in a liter bottle that was reintroduced in 2009 for the growing cocktail movement and theoretically more like the original from the 1930's (although it was 120 proof back then more like a true absinthe). That is what I keep in my own bar for Sazerac's, Vieux Carre's and the like. 

Hey Bruce,

Do you know of any current brand that makes something more similar to the pre 1914 absinthe.  That is: high proof, no added sugar, distilled with wormwood?

Are liqueurs acceptable around here? I needed something sweet and fun.

IMG_20200430_220235.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

I needed something sweet and fun.

That’s what she said. ?

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.