What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

That box is amazing.

From the aptly named Liquor & Liquor— Tacoma, WA... which always has a great miniature selection. 

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Ol’ Yeller and a couple of other neat ones…

IMG_4243.thumb.jpg.1352ea9d3aacda59f010bf3ca6623c45.jpg

Does this taste anything like Amaretto? I notice the Xolotl's abv is quite a bit higher than something like Disaronno (my wife's favorite liqueur)

11 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Does this taste anything like Amaretto? I notice the Xolotl's abv is quite a bit higher than something like Disaronno (my wife's favorite liqueur)

Actually, the Xolotl has a lower ABV (19.5%) than the Disaronno that sits at 28%. The taste is actually quite different, as are the ingredients (Disaronno does not use almonds)— with a nice honeyed almond note. The Luxardo Amaretto is my top pick of this group (as I lapse into a sugar coma)…

IMG_4252.thumb.jpg.92a9b8fb8abf80be25c8351d510d6505.jpg

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Actually, the Xolotl has a lower ABV (19.5%) than the Disaronno that sits at 28%. The taste is actually quite different, as are the ingredients (Disaronno does not use almonds)— with a nice honeyed almond note. The Luxardo Amaretto is my top pick of this group (as I lapse into a sugar coma)…

I was under the impression that Disaronno used almonds since that's the aroma I get from it. It's too sweet for my taste. I may have to get a bottle of Luxardo for my wife to try. My last experiment for her was the Lazzaroni and she didn't care for it as much. Of course, a bottle lasts her more than a year so I'll probably forget all of this by the time it comes to replenish the bar :)  Btw....apparently I got dyslexic with my abv comment. I'd grabbed our Disaronno to check it out and still screwed it up. Doh!

Edited by Vosgar

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I was under the impression that Disaronno used almonds since that's the aroma I get from it. It's too sweet for my taste. I may have to get a bottle of Luxardo for my wife to try. My last experiment for her was the Lazzaroni and she didn't care for it as much. Of course, a bottle lasts her more than a year so I'll probably forget all of this by the time it comes to replenish the bar :)  Btw....apparently I got dyslexic with my abv comment. I'd grabbed our Disaronno to check it out and still screwed it up. Doh!

Some of the Amarettos use almonds-- but I'm pretty sure that both the Disaronno and Luxardo versions are based on Apricot Pits.

Of course they also produce a dandy apricot liqueur…

IMG_4257.thumb.jpg.f92c89ab44ceb473d89225293778db68.jpg

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I'll probably forget all of this by the time it comes to replenish the bar :) 

You forget?  :lol: 

Biba! Ken

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Some of the Amarettos use almonds-- but I'm pretty sure that both the Disaronno and Luxardo versions are based on Apricot Pits.

Of course they also produce a dandy apricot liqueur…

IMG_4257.thumb.jpg.f92c89ab44ceb473d89225293778db68.jpg

Is there anything that you do NOT have? Man. When this current bullshit is over I'm totally flying to New Orleans to hang out with you.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Is there anything that you do NOT have? Man. When this current bullshit is over I'm totally flying to New Orleans to hang out with you.

Please do-- it might be the only 'WhiskyFest' running this year.

For the last week I have wanted to pull an epic bottle from the bunker to celebrate the lives of two people who have been at the forefront of my memories this week. And all week long I could not come up with a bottle that I thought was befitting these two awesome people. Then it came to me, it was so simple. 

Last Saturday, my father-in-law Bob passed away. We buried him this past Thursday in a small, private ceremony. Last Monday, April 13, was the date my Mom passed away two years ago. They both loved their red wines, so that is what I'm drinking. We have several bottles of this on hand, I had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

Cheers Mom!

Cheers Bob!

Prost!  Phil

20200418_191646.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 6

A mixed bag on Monday. I had a great conversation at Astor with the guy behind St. Agrestis— as nice as he was, his Amaro really falls short.

IMG_4263.thumb.jpg.06f2d4c339d12c5660b02c3868a91552.jpg

IMG_4284.thumb.jpg.d228d7f272b942e396ffe02999dce3c6.jpg

IMG_4282.thumb.jpg.465c7db09d68c55b0b6b8529c9d508a7.jpg

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A mixed bag on Monday. I had a great conversation at Astor with the guy behind St. Agrestis— as nice as he was, his Amaro really falls short.

IMG_4263.thumb.jpg.06f2d4c339d12c5660b02c3868a91552.jpg

IMG_4284.thumb.jpg.d228d7f272b942e396ffe02999dce3c6.jpg

IMG_4282.thumb.jpg.465c7db09d68c55b0b6b8529c9d508a7.jpg

Don't know the first or last (although that Cuban one looks interesting). But the Dell'Erborista I know. Some serious bitter character in that one!

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' college tuition fund via gratuitous spirits purchases…

IMG_4290.thumb.jpg.993f049296002ef15930c3b8b038f55c.jpg

IMG_4291.thumb.jpg.8f2fd635f287d8d8eb6a4b4fe90b0a87.jpg

IMG_4292.thumb.jpg.f80528e43ae595d2c8c27a5fb7a02ef1.jpg

22 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't know the first or last (although that Cuban one looks interesting). But the Dell'Erborista I know. Some serious bitter character in that one!

The Legendario 7 is a Cuban Rum Punch— sweet, but not unexpectedly. I need to try it chilled.

Just wanted to say thanks to  @Marekv8 for your daily posts!   Your extensive collection is mind blowing, plus I’m learning a lot about what’s out there.  Most of your posts are bottles I’ve never seen before, so thanks for the education!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Widebody said:

Just wanted to say thanks to  @Marekv8 for your daily posts!   Your extensive collection is mind blowing, plus I’m learning a lot about what’s out there.  Most of your posts are bottles I’ve never seen before, so thanks for the education!

Well thanks, I'm glad you appreciate a bit of variety. I take requests if there are any categories you're particularly interested in.

Dave, this has been good entertainment for me as well.  I never know what you'll post, mostly stuff I've never seen before.  I'm basically babysitting all the time now.  Wife is in demand at the hospital - lots of extra hours.  So, any diversion is much appreciated. 

When I get a chance, you may have convinced me to revisit an almost full bottle of Herbsaint Liqueur D'Anis 90 proof Frankfort KY.  It's been sitting in the back of my cabinet for years.

3 hours ago, Widebody said:

I agree but I also hope Dave will include a few tasting notes and/or stories about these fascinating spirits he is posting!

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Well thanks, I'm glad you appreciate a bit of variety. I take requests if there are any categories you're particularly interested in.

I'd like to see more Amaros please. With commentary as to which are your favorites to boot!

Sounds good on both accounts-- there's a story behind every bottle. Plus, I typically have at least three variants/brands of any given style of liqueur for comparison purposes-- so I can provide notes.

Steve-- I'm deep in Amari, so please stand by.

Regards, Dave

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Steve-- I'm deep in Amari, so please stand by.

Regards, Dave

Dave, aren't you deep in most everything? :D:D:D

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Dave, aren't you deep in most everything? :D:D:D

Not really. I’ve got more Peanut Butter Whiskey than I have Japanese and Indian combined. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.