Parker's Heritage Collection 2013 (PHC 7) - "Promise of Hope"

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this today:

http://webky.alsa.org/site/DocServer/FOR_RELEASE_-_HEAVEN_HILL.pdf?docID=97821

Text of press release:

FOR RELEASE: For Immediate Release

HEAVEN HILL DISTILLERIES, ALS ASSOCIATION KENTUCKY

CHAPTER JOIN FORCES TO HONOR MASTER

DISTILLER PARKER BEAM

6th Generation Bourbon Legend to Spearhead Fundraising Efforts Through Promise Fund and Fall 2013 Edition of Parker’s Heritage Collection BARDSTOWN, KY—Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. will be working with the ALS Association Kentucky Chapter to promote awareness and fundraising for efforts to battle the disease, in the early stages of which legendary 6th Generation Master Distiller Parker Beam has been recently diagnosed.

Heaven Hill and Parker Beam plan to dedicate this upcoming Fall 2013 edition of Parker’s Heritage Collection, the highly anticipated and highly regarded limited annual release of rare American Whiskeys, to raising funds for the ALS Association. Heaven Hill plans to earmark $20 from the sale of every bottle of the next Parker’s Heritage Collection release for donation to the ALS Association Kentucky Chapter, and have set a goal of raising a quarter of a million dollars.

http://web.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Parkerbeam_Promise_Fund

Beam, who is a charter member of the Bourbon Hall of Fame and a grand-nephew of James Beauregard “Jim” Beam, has been crafting some of the world’s most critically acclaimed whiskeys—first with his father, Earl, and now with his son, Craig—at Heaven Hill for over 50 years. Diagnosed with ALS in the past year, Parker Beam is continuing to work and contribute to Heaven Hill’s and the Bourbon industry’s rising profile. He will continue to personally select the barrels used for his namesake Parker’s Heritage Collection bottlings.

The ALS Association has established a special fund, known as the Parker Beam's Promise of Hope Fund, into which $20 for each bottle of next fall’s Parker’s Heritage Collection sold will be donated. Although the details and quantities of the next Parker’s Heritage Collection release will not be made public for some time, Heaven Hill expects to produce sufficient quantities to generate in excess of $250,000 to aid in research to combat a disease which affects over 30,000 Americans at any given time.

“Both my wife Linda and myself have become very involved in the ALS Association Kentucky Chapter and in raising awareness of the disease since I was diagnosed with it,” noted Parker Beam. “We are pleased to be helping in any way we can and are most appreciative to Heaven Hill and the Shapira family for helping with such a generous financial contribution from the sale of the upcoming edition of Parker’s Heritage Collection. We hope that others will become more aware of ALS and will find additional ways to help us in our fight.”

Founded in 1934, Bardstown, KY-based Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. ( www.heavenhill.com ) is the nation's largest independent, family-owned and operated spirits producer and marketer and the world's second-largest holder of Kentucky Bourbon. Heaven Hill's diversified portfolio of brands includes Evan Williams Bourbon; Burnett's Vodkas and Gin; HPNOTIQ and HPNOTIQ Harmonie Liqueurs; Admiral Nelson’s and Blackheart Rums; The Christian Brothers Brandies; PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur; Lunazul Tequila and Rittenhouse Rye Whisky.

The ALS Association Kentucky Chapter funds one of 32 Certified Centers in the Nation at the University of Kentucky; holds multiple Patient Support Groups around the State; works directly with patients at various clinics at the VA and at the Neurology Center at the University of Louisville. The Kentucky Chapter also funds a durable medical equipment Loan Closet for those with ALS who may need to borrow items such as a walker or wheelchair for their use as long as they need it. The ALS Association Kentucky Chapter has also been actively involved in Advocacy for those with ALS, lobbying for the Medicare Presumptive Disability waiver; working and signing ALS patients up for the Worldwide ALS Registry through the CDC, working to have ALS considered a Service Related disease for our Military Veterans; shortening the wait for Social Security Disability payments and advocating for the continued funding of ALS through the Department of Defense.

Heaven Hill reminds you to “Think Wisely. Drink Wisely.”

Edited by ChainWhip

Thanks for posting those links! While I agree with the quote from redwhiteandbourbon's blog that "this purchase is already a no-brainer, even before I hear a thing about the bourbon", I'd be less than honest if I said I didn't want to hear a thing about the bourbon. The articles also give the impression that this may not be the final installment (the PR statement that "He will continue to personally select the barrels used for his namesake Parker’s Heritage Collection bottlings.") Can't wait to contribute to a great cause, as well as taste this bourbon!

10 years at 96 proof? Can't say I'm not a little disappointed in that. Maybe there's more to it. Yes, its for a great cause but if I remember correctly this is usually $70-80.

Definitely a little uninspiring at first blush. That being said, I'll be grabbing one as soon as I see it.

10 years at 96 proof? Can't say I'm not a little disappointed in that. Maybe there's more to it. Yes, its for a great cause but if I remember correctly this is usually $70-80.

The info I got a while back indicated that it would be 12 year single barrel at cask strength. Keep in mind that the label depicts a handwritten ABV/proof, so that might not represent what any given bottling will be.

The proof isn't what I would have picked myself. The back label information is interesting though - they let Parker pick the attributes he likes most. It's the whiskey that Parker wants to drink, and I'm all for that. I'm certain that he'll be choosing some great barrels for this release.

The info I got a while back indicated that it would be 12 year single barrel at cask strength. Keep in mind that the label depicts a handwritten ABV/proof, so that might not represent what any given bottling will be.

Duh. Forgot about that. These COLAs don't generally represent correctly what the actual ABV will be. Thanks for that reminder.

I agree that it is a no brainier to purchase this one if I get the opportunity. It is interesting that this is perhaps the most "mainstream" of the 7 different bottles if it is not cask strength, finished or unusual in some other fashion but perhaps that is fitting if it represents the best qualities of a bourbon in the eye of the master distiller.

Might also allow them to produce more than usual and make them a bit easier to locate and acquire I suppose.

I agree that it is a no brainier to purchase this one if I get the opportunity. It is interesting that this is perhaps the most "mainstream" of the 7 different bottles if it is not cask strength, finished or unusual in some other fashion but perhaps that is fitting if it represents the best qualities of a bourbon in the eye of the master distiller.

Might also allow them to produce more than usual and make them a bit easier to locate and acquire I suppose.

Based on nothing more than speculation and the numbers HH provided it suggests perhaps a bigger release (250,000/20 = 12,500). Aren't these releases usually more like 6000 bottles? Of course HH could be kicking in additional money on top of that.

Based on nothing more than speculation and the numbers HH provided it suggests perhaps a bigger release (250,000/20 = 12,500). Aren't these releases usually more like 6000 bottles? Of course HH could be kicking in additional money on top of that.

i have heard a bigger number for this years bottle since its purpose is charity. Would be nice to see it on shelf for more than a day or two, especially since it is for a noble cause.

It is often said that 10 years old is the sweet spot for Bourbon. I'm looking forward to having some, and raising a glass to Parker.

Where do i send my money!?

Will be buying the day it comes out if i have to sleep at the store. Great cause, and would be shocked if it's not a great pour as well.

I am glad to see "Promise Of Hope" boldly displayed on the label and I do indeed believe this will be a great whiskey and I'm glad to see an increase in perspected numbers of this release.Heaven Hill has put together a great objective and tribute with this bottling.I hope all that is raised in Parker's name and others that suffer from ALS will benefit,even if in the smallest way it is a great effort,I say well done.

If you can't find a bottle, you can still donate online at www.alsa.org/parkerbeampromiseofhope.

This is a terrible disease, as well as others like it - a salute and a prayer to Parker, his family, and Heaven Hill for their willingness to step forward to raise awareness and funds.

Definitely will get some for the cause.

It didn't see anything that this is the last PHC right?

No doubt that this will be a stellar bourbon. If Parker is picking this as possibility last efforts, it should be spectacular.

I'm certainly in, and will drink this with a bit of a heavy heart, knowing of the unjust fate that the man behind it faced.

B

This might actually make an appearance in Hawaii with that high of a bottle count. Naw, who am I kidding?

Me thinks the only hope Hawaii has is that TPS has some for sale on their website.

• 2 months later...

Email from HH today regarding PHC 2013:

Think of it as a toast to Parker’s favorite things.

Parker’s Heritage Collection began in 2007 to showcase the variety of award-winning American Whiskeys he has been instrumental in producing over his half-century career at Heaven Hill.

This, the seventh edition in the esteemed series, represents Parker’s personal favorite style of Bourbon. It embodies all the qualities he considers essential in the ideal Bourbon. It was selected from single barrels that have spent 10 years in the top floor of tiered Rickhouse EE at Heaven Hill’s Deatsville, Kentucky location, an age and location Parker has always favored. And it was bottled at 96 proof (48% abv) to achieve its full flavor potential, an ideal proof for Parker’s favorite Bourbon over ice. That combination of age and proof has produced a Bourbon that is both rich and amazingly smooth. It is also non-chill filtered, helping to maintain the natural esters and compounds which provide a rich texture and mouthfeel.

The name of the bottling was selected to shine attention on the Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund established to raise money for the ALS Association. For each bottle sold, Heaven Hill will contribute $20 to The ALS Association’s Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund, with the hope of raising over $250,000.

If you’d like to donate a personal, tax deductible gift to Parker’s Promise of Hope Fund, please click the link below: www.alsa.org/parkerbeampromiseofhope

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't, but if people flip these, they better donate their profits to the ALS Association. I know they won't, but nothing is going to make me angrier than seeing these pop up on Bourbon Exchange with people making money off something that should be going toward a great cause.

They're being purchased in NC of all places. I understand your position, but as long as every bottle is sold at retail (which they ultimately will be) then that's all the money HH was ever going to donate anyway. Don't let the stress get to you too much.

Nope. That being said I'm not looking too hard. I know it's for a good cause and all but this bourbon at this price just ain't speaking to me. I had talked myself into it, and now I think Ive talked myself out. Eh who knows what the heck I may do.

I think I'm in for one, just because. But I don't have some kind of vertical PHC collection that requires more than that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.