Parker's Heritage Collection 2013 (PHC 7) - "Promise of Hope"

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This bottle really highlights the problem consumers experience with the premium market today. If you want a bottle, you have to buy it before trying and assume the risk of it not being very good. If you decide to wait and try it at a bar/restaurant, every bottle has likely been picked off of the shelves, and if its good, you have to look somewhere else to obtain one...and pay a premium over the already premium price.

I love it. Cracked it open and shared with friends. I'm happy to donate money to ALS research, lost my grandmother to ALS. It's the best Evan Williams I have ever had. I had heard the 10yr age stated (86 proof) 1783 was a product Parker really enjoys. So i compared Promise of Hope side by side with a 10yr 1783 and EC12. I see similarity to the 1783 in creaminess. I love that the Promise of Hope has the Kentucky chew and is super enjoyable to drink. The barrels were dumped at the perfect time. The proof is ideal, I couldn't enjoy it hotter.

I'm glad I have one bottle open to enjoy now and one bottle to put away to enjoy a few years from now. Maybe it's not for everyone, that's fine, I'd gladly grab another bottle later on in the year if it was still on the shelf.

I guess that's one attribute that's not consistent along this release. The bottle I have open is ridiculously easy drinking and creamy. Taking a sip is almost like sipping a Guinness, with a complete lack of burn.

I agree wholeheartedly on the creaminess, and this textural attribute has been lost in many premium bourbons lately.

Justin did you get a dif barrel than me? I don't get any mint at all. Did you get any of the chew? I don't think this is a play at all, it's a salute to Parker's favorite style. I'm really diggin this pour, and I'd be happy to take yours off yer hands.

Justin did you get a dif barrel than me? I don't get any mint at all. Did you get any of the chew? I don't think this is a play at all, it's a salute to Parker's favorite style. I'm really diggin this pour, and I'd be happy to take yours off yer hands.

I trust your palate so there must be crazy variation between bottles. Mine is a mint bomb. Marc gave it a try and felt the same way I did - very pedestrian (and minty). It's not bad, just my bottle was no worth $90 (or $70) IMO - more around 30-40 range. Ill save some for you to try.

I trust your palate so there must be crazy variation between bottles. Mine is a mint bomb. Marc gave it a try and felt the same way I did - very pedestrian (and minty). It's not bad, just my bottle was no worth $90 (or $70) IMO - more around 30-40 range. Ill save some for you to try.

That sounds a lot like the older EW 1783 10yr to me (I get a lot of mint on that one). Nice enough pour, but not for that kind of dough. The variation (and lack of barrel numbers on the labels?) is a concern. The majority of reviews I've read haven't been negative, but have shared that the price seemed high for what you get (and not by a little). Sounds like some barrels have been worth it, but hate rolling the dice on a bottle at that price.

It's too bad the barrel numbers did not make it on individual bottles and only the box. It would be very interesting to compare the different barrels.

Thanks to all who posted. I'll be receiving my bottles soon. I look forward to comparing my bottles to the previous posts

GANBEI

I'm surprised this didn't hit the Gazebo on Saturday. Easy for me to pass on, but I'd enjoy the opportunity for a sip eventually.

I was only able to get one bottle in Bardstown for $104. Like to wait until I have a backup before I open one up. It is showing in the pricebook for Michigan so maybe it will be here soon.

Best regards, Tony

This stuff was all over Batdstown over the weekend. Would've loved to try it but oh well.

It was at Toddy's for $130. Yeah, that was an easy PASS.

I paid $89.99 couldn't even tell you the name of the store outside of B-Town as most of the week was a self indulgent blur.I was surprise to see it at retail as most everything else there was eye-gougingly high!

I tried it at the gala. It didn't stand out amongst the 20 or so samples I had so I can't give much of a judgement.

I think the gouging you saw on HH products in bardstown is a product of the prices and ample supply at the heritage center and the tiny amount of limited products HH has been "allotting" lately in the local area.

The local boys are none to happy with their neighborhood distillery.

I tried it at the gala. It didn't stand out amongst the 20 or so samples I had so I can't give much of a judgement.

I think the gouging you saw on HH products in bardstown is a product of the prices and ample supply at the heritage center and the tiny amount of limited products HH has been "allotting" lately in the local area.

The local boys are none to happy with their neighborhood distillery.

No kidding....having case upon case available at HH for $130 and then giving each store like 6 bottles, can't sit well.

I understand the gift shop holding some back (especially at that profit margin), but throw the local guys a bone during KBF.

No kidding....having case upon case available at HH for $130 and then giving each store like 6 bottles, can't sit well.

I understand the gift shop holding some back (especially at that profit margin), but throw the local guys a bone during KBF.

It started with the EC barrel strength. Single bottles were the allotments in many cases. If you were lucky it was a 3 bottle case. Not to mention the first release of ec20 was minuscule except at the heritage center.

It is showing in the pricebook for Michigan so maybe it will be here soon.

Tony, I saw a bottle on the shelf in Michigan today for 99 so it is out here now. Not in the Detroit area though. It was sitting next to the 2012 edition for 80.

Finally able to try this tonight. Thought it was great. Not $90 (well, $70, really) great, but certainly a worthwhile pour for me.

Really, really, really good whiskey. But, after subtracting the $20 to ALS (an extraordinarily worthy cause that everyone should donate to... please), is it worth more than twice the cost of Henry McKenna 10 yo SB BiB? (ie, same age, basically same proof, and (in some cases at least) the same rickhouse location)? The bottle I tried is simply extraordinary. (if I was younger, I'd be tweeting OMGs all over the cyberspace) But, since it is a SB product with no barrel identifier, is it worth the risk and cost of buying another?

I finally got around to opening my bottle tonight. Not a whole lot going on with the nose, taste is very good, not great, but the finish is outstanding. I was a little disappointed until that finish kicked in, and it hooked me. Now I'm thinking about buying another bottle, but will probably wait until I've had a couple more pours to see if/how it opens up.

Rughi's East Bay Study Group selected a PHC 7 clone 2 years ago. They did 2 barrels and bottled it as Henry McKenna 10/100 non chill filtered from same Deatsville location.

I finally got around to opening my bottle tonight. Not a whole lot going on with the nose, taste is very good, not great, but the finish is outstanding. I was a little disappointed until that finish kicked in, and it hooked me. Now I'm thinking about buying another bottle, but will probably wait until I've had a couple more pours to see if/how it opens up.

Gary, my initial impression is right along with this. The finish is the most amazing shade of candy smoked leather I've ever tasted. I'm taking my time with it too, but that finish is more than memorable. I'd be willing to bet we got our bottles from the same store, too, so likely same barrel.

A buddy of mine got a bottle and I tried a glass. Very disappointed. Its a little better than EWSB but not much. I could see paying $30-$35 for this but not much more. Maybe it was the barrel he got but it has a lot of mint and a quick finish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.