Parker's Heritage Collection 2013 (PHC 7) - "Promise of Hope"

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds like the single barrel issue that John mentioned may be a very real concern

Makes it a double-shame there's no way of tracking the barrels.

Had the Parker's releases ever clearly marked barrels before, or just back-calculated via proof in the past?

Had the Parker's releases ever clearly marked barrels before, or just back-calculated via proof in the past?

This is the first single barrel PHC.

My local got some of this in. Priced at $106+ tax. I don't think I have the coin until sometime later, as some other bourbon expenses are on the horizon.

Rughi's East Bay Study Group selected a PHC 7 clone 2 years ago. They did 2 barrels and bottled it as Henry McKenna 10/100 non chill filtered from same Deatsville location.

Snaaaaaake Plissken... I thought he was dead...:D

Popped my bottle open last night......was not impressed. I have to say it did have a good finish.

(My mother told me to always find something positive about any situation in life....so their it is :rolleyes:)

Waited till i got a second bottle today to open...not bad, but man it's a hot one for that proof. Happy to support the charity effort, but glad i didn't purchase the 6 i saw this weekend.

While this is quite good whiskey, and a lot of money is going to a very good cause because of it, I would probably think of this as one of my least favorites of the series. I'm not saying that it is bad at all, but with the lineup of what has come out of this, it does rank on the low end.

To me, this has a very classic HH profile-duh!, compared to past releases. Immediately, the first thing that came to mind was that is was eerily similar to a local favorite, Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 8yr, readily available in most stores around the state. Albeit a really good bottle of this!

Nosing it, I did get a fairly strong sense of apples out of it. More cider than raw, really pleasant.

Medium body and legs on the glass, long finish after drinking.

It's not a stand out in any one category, but it's perfectly pleasant all around.

If this is what Parker likes, he is a man a fine taste.

B

I am growing to like it more. It isn't an "in your face" knockout for me like PHC 6 was but it is a subtle and flavorful pour. I can see a touch of the apple cider up front and seems to face to candied fruit in the middle. At the end the sugars and the char come out in a creme-brule fashion.

It has tough competition out there but this is a quality pour and a classy one at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dabbling with this whiskey for a week, or so, but spending some quality time with it this evening. And, I am loving it. An extremely velvety texture, that I don't pick up in many bourbons of any price or shelf level. It really seems to glide over my palate. There are positively no rough edges to it. Flavorful throughout, but in a polished way. Nice call to you guys who picked out the apple note. I'll admit, I went looking for it upon your suggestion, and there it is. Great for Autumn. The apple and caramel flavors hang on the tongue for quite a while, and I can chomp and chew on it seemingly forever. Nicely controlled oak leads to an extremely long and velvety finish. Top notch in every way. $80 is a lot of money for a whiskey, but I feel like I underpaid. It feels rich.

This is a Professional bourbon. It's not jumping up and down trying to get your attention with extreme age, extreme proof, or an exotic barrel finish. This PHC calmly says, "Been there, done that." The whiskey projects a quiet elegance, ease, grace, and..Professionalism.Yeah, just like the man who created it.

I get a cream soda thing that I like. It's better than I thought it would be based on what I've read. I wish it was cheaper but then I probably wouldn't like it as much :grin:

Cracked open my first bottle last night. Still too soon give a final verdict but I'm really liking it so far.

snip-

$80 is a lot of money for a whiskey, but I feel like I underpaid. It feels rich.

This is a Professional bourbon. It's not jumping up and down trying to get your attention with extreme age, extreme proof, or an exotic barrel finish. This PHC calmly says, "Been there, done that." The whiskey projects a quiet elegance, ease, grace, and..Professionalism.Yeah, just like the man who created it.

I wish it were $80 around here, it would find a home with me. Cheapest I've seen here is $110 out the door. At that price I have a bit of a hard time justifying

Bravo, Joe, you nailed it.

There is no better way to describe other than how you did.

B

There is significant variation with this release. Mine was really minty (EWB-like) and decent. Brett brought over his bottle and it was chocolaty and velvety (like Joe said), and it had a great finish. His was worth the msrp, while mine was not. Weird thing about it was that Brett and I got our bottles from the same retail store and potentially the same case.

I really wish they put the barrel # on these.

Just opened my first bottle of this tonight and I really like it neat. Never had any of the earlier versions so I can't compare but this is very good.

Just opened my first bottle of this tonight and I really like it neat. Never had any of the earlier versions so I can't compare but this is very good.

I agree! Have been into a bottle for a few days now and find it very enjoyable. Don't know if it is $90 worth of enjoyment but still it is good and the fact that part is going to good cause helps.

The "Promise of Hope" is not that great, huh? Maybe we should hope, and they should promise that PHC 8 ("Wing and a Prayer"?) will be better.

I wish it were $80 around here, it would find a home with me. Cheapest I've seen here is $110 out the door. At that price I have a bit of a hard time justifying

The "Promise of Hope" is not that great, huh? Maybe we should hope, and they should promise that PHC 8 ("Wing and a Prayer"?) will be better.

I only have one bottle and am scared to open it. Would like to get another first even though I know they may be worlds apart. Would still like to have one back.

Wow. That's cold.....really cold

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.