The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

Last night I had a small pour from a bottle of Pacory 20yo Calvados that I brought back from France. It is everything I remember it being - surprisingly nice mouth feel for 80 proof, nice apple and pear notes, and an interesting tart/tannic finish that makes me want another sip. I'll have to spend a little more time with it to see if there's much complexity there, but even if there isn't, this is a very enjoyable spirit.

Edited by Kpiz

Tasted and picked up a 375 of the new Hennessy Masters Blend cognac after giving it a try. Don't think it will fool too many into thinking it is whiskey but it was pretty decent. Certainly a big improvement over bland big house cognac. Just needs a little more proof, maybe 100 proof. Might be fun to slip into a whiskey tasting now and again to see!

Hennessy front.JPG

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Tasted and picked up a 375 of the new Hennessy Masters Blend cognac after giving it a try. Don't think it will fool too many into thinking it is whiskey but it was pretty decent. Certainly a big improvement over bland big house cognac. Just needs a little more proof, maybe 100 proof. Might be fun to slip into a whiskey tasting now and again to see!

Hennessy front.JPG

I think even 86 proof is a stretch for them.

Didn't realize it comes in a 375ml bottle - I probably should've known based on the price. I almost grabbed a bottle of this but figured I'd be spending quite a bit of money on other booze in the coming months. Glad to hear it's an improvement over the normal Hennessy offerings though. 

18 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Didn't realize it comes in a 375ml bottle - I probably should've known based on the price. I almost grabbed a bottle of this but figured I'd be spending quite a bit of money on other booze in the coming months. Glad to hear it's an improvement over the normal Hennessy offerings though. 

Here it can be had in a 375 or as 750. Since I am not drinking that much cognac these days I opted for the 375.

On 11/5/2016 at 1:42 AM, Kpiz said:

I bought a bottle from K&L, I haven't had it shipped yet.  I assumed it was a 750, I went back to look at the listing on the website and my order and it doesn't note the size.  I haven't had it shipped yet, I wonder what size I will get when I do?  I'm hoping for a 750 but realistically my curiosity would have gotten to me and I would have bought it if it was a 375 anyway.

20 hours ago, NightCru said:

I bought a bottle from K&L, I haven't had it shipped yet.  I assumed it was a 750, I went back to look at the listing on the website and my order and it doesn't note the size.  I haven't had it shipped yet, I wonder what size I will get when I do?  I'm hoping for a 750 but realistically my curiosity would have gotten to me and I would have bought it if it was a 375 anyway.

I would guess that it was the 750 based on the price noted on the website. Seems it is already sold out at K&L.

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I had my first couple pours from the Pacory 15yo calvados that K&L just brought in. At some point I plan to taste this alongside bottles of Pacory Hors d'Age, 20yo, and their 30yo that I brought back from France but that may not happen soon so I figured I'd add some notes now in case anyone is on the fence about buying this.

The smells are very forthcoming - I could smell apples and pears as soon as I popped the cork. The mouthfeel is good, it has great apple flavor, some spices (though not really spiciness, if that makes sense), and a good amount of sweetness without being cloying. I could drink this all night and definitely recommend buying a bottle if you're a fan of calvados. This could even be a good first calvados for people to try if they've never had it before because it's very easy to drink and it has everything you'd want in an apple/pear spirit.

I had a small pour of the Pacory Cask Strength for means of comparison, and the 15yo was surprisingly more apple-driven in flavor. This is unexpected because the 15yo is reported to be 100% pear distillate while the CS is 70% pear/30% apple. The 15yo also does not have the slightly mouth-drying pear quality that the CS does (which some other Domfrontais calvados has as well). Both expressions seemed sweet to me last night but after tasting a couple other things, I think it was just my palate being wonky.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been continuing to chip away at my bottle of Pacory 15yo and still enjoying it very much, though as my girlfriend informs me, it "lacks dimension". Which is to say, it doesn't have the depth of flavors that some others do. I let one of my friends sample it though and they bought a bottle immediately afterwards, so I'm not the only one who likes it. It has relatively simple but full apple flavor, and is slightly sweet but not too much so. There is no mistaking this for whiskey.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

...my girlfriend informs me, it "lacks dimension". Which is to say, it doesn't have the depth...

Ask for clarification on that.

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ask for clarification on that.

Come to think of it, she hadn't even tried the calvados yet when she said it...

Edited by Kpiz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm asking for some assistance from any Cognac drinkers out there.

I would like to buy a bottle of Cognac for a friend.  I'd like to spend between $80-$120.  He is a Scotch drinker, who also likes some bourbon, and has recently discovered that he likes Cognac.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, meadeweber said:

I would like to buy a bottle of Cognac for a friend.  I'd like to spend between $80-$120.  He is a Scotch drinker, who also likes some bourbon, and has recently discovered that he likes Cognac.

I don't care much for the usually bland, sweet, almost artificial tasting cognacs from the big producers so I may not be of much help. If only there were a few more "Chads" hanging around! But that is long gone and was above your price range anyway. SKU talks about cognac and Armagnac on his blog a good bit. Armagnac generally tends to be a bit more whisky like and less sweet and bland than big house cognacs. Many are from K&L so I don't know if you can get access to them presuming they are still around.

I have some passing curiosity about the most recent bottle from Gourry de Chadeville. It looks to be available at Astor but you might want to confirm with them that it is the one finished in St. Emillion casks.

Perhaps the Hennessey Master Blenders No. 1 if you can still find it. A cognac that is not as dumbed down as many of them are.

Kyle might be able to comment on the Villa Brandy from Italy which is in the cognac style. The bitter finish noted gave me pause. I may have a sample of it but can't remember!

Pellehaut seems to make some pretty decent Armagnac's that might be more available.  Perhaps my favorite Armagnac recently was the 2004 11yo Charron from K&L but that is also long gone as far as I know. 

On 12/21/2016 at 5:48 AM, meadeweber said:

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I don't care much for the usually bland, sweet, almost artificial tasting cognacs from the big producers so I may not be of much help. If only there were a few more "Chads" hanging around! But that is long gone and was above your price range anyway. SKU talks about cognac and Armagnac on his blog a good bit. Armagnac generally tends to be a bit more whisky like and less sweet and bland than big house cognacs. Many are from K&L so I don't know if you can get access to them presuming they are still around.

I have some passing curiosity about the most recent bottle from Gourry de Chadeville. It looks to be available at Astor but you might want to confirm with them that it is the one finished in St. Emillion casks.

Perhaps the Hennessey Master Blenders No. 1 if you can still find it. A cognac that is not as dumbed down as many of them are.

Kyle might be able to comment on the Villa Brandy from Italy which is in the cognac style. The bitter finish noted gave me pause. I may have a sample of it but can't remember!

Pellehaut seems to make some pretty decent Armagnac's that might be more available.  Perhaps my favorite Armagnac recently was the 2004 11yo Charron from K&L but that is also long gone as far as I know. 

I also don't drink much (ok, any) Cognac from the big blending houses but I do drink a decent amount of Armagnac and other grape-based brandies in case those are acceptable substitutes. I think Pellehaut is a good one to look for, as Bruce suggested. They have a Reserve that's <$50 but also some vintage stated expressions that seem to run between $50 (for a 2001) and $200 (for vintages from the 70s). Also, Total Wine carries a wide range of Chateau de Laubade armagnacs which are generally bottled at 80 proof and seem to be more in the cognac style than some other armagnacs, which are a bit more bourbon-y.

In regards to the Villa Zarri, the 24yo K&L exclusive was excellent, but when Sku says to add water, he's not kidding. It's pretty hot at full proof but with some water and air time it really turns into something very nice. I don't have any notes handy but it is a balanced and fairly dry brandy with a good amount of oak. It is bitter on the finish but I don't find it off-putting, I rather enjoy it. I am also a big fan of the Villa Zarri 21yo, which is a regular offering, so it may be a little easier to source locally.

Thanks for the info Bruce and Kpiz.  I may go with the Hennessy Master Blender's.

Happy to help. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/24/2016 at 11:48 PM, Kpiz said:

Happy to help. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, hope you find one that your friend enjoys!

I finally tried the Pellehaut Reserve last night. I've had several vintage-stated Pellehaut bottlings (all K&L exclusives) but never their regular expressions. It seemed light on flavor at first, but after several sips I came to realize that the flavor was there, it was just more subtle than I'm used to. The other Pellehauts I've had are fairly bold. We decided to throw in the 1978 vintage to taste alongside it, but it wasn't much of a comparison - the 1978 is big, sweet, and oaky, whereas the Reserve is more reserved (pun intended), less sweet, and contains more cinnamon and vanilla notes.

Pellehaut.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Kpiz said:

I finally tried the Pellehaut Reserve last night. I've had several vintage-stated Pellehaut bottlings (all K&L exclusives) but never their regular expressions. It seemed light on flavor at first, but after several sips I came to realize that the flavor was there, it was just more subtle than I'm used to. The other Pellehauts I've had are fairly bold. We decided to throw in the 1978 vintage to taste alongside it, but it wasn't much of a comparison - the 1978 is big, sweet, and oaky, whereas the Reserve is more reserved (pun intended), less sweet, and contains more cinnamon and vanilla notes.

Yes, the 1978 is a tough comparison! The 1996 might be better although while it is not the 1978 it is not exactly subtle either!

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, the 1978 is a tough comparison! The 1996 might be better although while it is not the 1978 it is not exactly subtle either!

Yeah, the '96 would have been a much better comparison (though as you said, still not apples to apples). I was too lazy to dig into the bunker and conveniently had a '78 readily available. I thought it would be interesting to compare two Pellehauts side-by-side but all it really showed is that the 1978 spent a lot more time in oak than the Reserve...which I already knew beforehand. Oh well, it was still good drinkin'!

On New Year's day I opened this bottle of Domaine du Promenoir Calvados that I brought back from Normandy a few months ago. This has a really earthy smell like a well aged bourbon, combined with some baked apple. The taste starts with tart apple, builds into some baking spices, mustiness, and finishes on a bitter oaky note. This is a little more tart than I remember, and rough around the edges, but I like it quite a bit. Overall it is much more rustic and bitter than most calvados I've tried in the states. I like these elements in my calvados because they play well with the whole Normandy/farmer/aged in a barn image that calvados has going on (at least in my mind), but they are generally absent from calvados I've bought in the US. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Domaine du Promenoir.jpg

Saw a bottle of 1984 30yo Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac in town today. Rare to see something with a bit of age on it around here. Has anyone by chance tried this. Some of the reviews seem encouraging but I am a bit circumspect after being somewhat disappointed by a recent purchase of a 42yo 1973 Papolle Armagnac.

Or was it the '87 Maouhum? Hard to remember!

Edited by tanstaafl2

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Saw a bottle of 1984 30yo Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac in town today. Rare to see something with a bit of age on it around here. Has anyone by chance tried this. Some of the reviews seem encouraging but I am a bit circumspect after being somewhat disappointed by a recent purchase of a 42yo 1973 Papolle Armagnac.

Or was it the '87 Maouhum? Hard to remember!

If you're thinking of the one you tried alongside the Charron in one of your Wednesday tastings, it was the Papolle. I still have a bottle of that in the bunker and am somewhat dreading opening it after reading your review.

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of the Dartigalongues, nor have I seen many in my area. Someone over on the Serious Brandy FB group bought a 1982 Dartigalongue (bottled at 80 proof I believe) and wasn't particularly impressed - I added their notes below. Is the vintage you're looking at 80 proof or is it higher?

Notes:

"Birthyear bottle! 1982 Dartigalongue.

The nose is incredible; Bourbony with lively alcohol with wonderful medicinal notes, raisins, figs and damp musty cellar. There's a certain funkiness to it that can't be described easily.

On the palate; all watered down raisins and disappointment. A touch of rancio.

Finish short and smooth. A touch of sweetness, but then it's gone.

Le sigh."

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, Kpiz said:

If you're thinking of the one you tried alongside the Charron in one of your Wednesday tastings, it was the Papolle. I still have a bottle of that in the bunker and am somewhat dreading opening it after reading your review.

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of the Dartigalongues, nor have I seen many in my area. Someone over on the Serious Brandy FB group bought a 1982 Dartigalongue (bottled at 80 proof I believe) and wasn't particularly impressed - I added their notes below. Is the vintage you're looking at 80 proof or is it higher?

Notes:

"Birthyear bottle! 1982 Dartigalongue.

The nose is incredible; Bourbony with lively alcohol with wonderful medicinal notes, raisins, figs and damp musty cellar. There's a certain funkiness to it that can't be described easily.

On the palate; all watered down raisins and disappointment. A touch of rancio.

Finish short and smooth. A touch of sweetness, but then it's gone.

Le sigh."

That does sound a bit discouraging. This one is at 86 proof but that was still one of the reasons I am using to try to justify NOT buying it!Dartigalongue Armagnac 30yo 1984.JPG

Been hard to find any reviews of this specific bottle but I think I am going to pass for now.

As for the Papolle, maybe I was just having an off day and you will have a better experience with it! I need to try it again I suppose. Not sure I have had it open since that Wednesday tasting.

Edited by tanstaafl2

44 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

As for the Papolle, maybe I was just having an off day and you will have a better experience with it! I need to try it again I suppose. Not sure I have had it open since that Wednesday tasting.

That was the same day you had the Charron, which you liked, so you couldn't have been too off! Although maybe the bottle has benefited from being open for a while. It was trapped in a cask for 40+ years after all!

If you're looking for a new well-aged Armagnac, K&L just got in a few new ones. They haven't announced them on the blog quite yet but there are three vintages (1981, 1987, 1992) from Domaine du Cardinat, which I haven't heard of before, but the notes on the '81 seem promising. Not sure what the ABVs are but I'd imagine they are north of 40% as almost all of their exclusive armagnacs are. They also got more of the 1987 Maouhum and the 1974 Jean-Bon (which I passed up the first time around but which I think I'll give a shot this time).

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

That was the same day you had the Charron, which you liked, so you couldn't have been too off! Although maybe the bottle has benefited from being open for a while. It was trapped in a cask for 40+ years after all!

If you're looking for a new well-aged Armagnac, K&L just got in a few new ones. They haven't announced them on the blog quite yet but there are three vintages (1981, 1987, 1992) from Domaine du Cardinat, which I haven't heard of before, but the notes on the '81 seem promising. Not sure what the ABVs are but I'd imagine they are north of 40% as almost all of their exclusive armagnacs are. They also got more of the 1987 Maouhum and the 1974 Jean-Bon (which I passed up the first time around but which I think I'll give a shot this time).

They do seem to be really busy with building their cognac/Armagnac portfolio lately! I am going to still try to work on keeping the bottle count down a bit. Not that I am doing too well so far! Just bought the Kilchoman Sauternes matured yesterday.