The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sounds very interesting.  

One may make an appearance in Atlanta in the very near future...

B)

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Kpiz said:

I didn't pick up any of the real peculiar notes that sku did (e.g. rotting garbage) but maybe the bottle just needs to breathe a little.

Makes sense. I tend to find that rotting garbage almost always benefits from a little air time! :huh:

For any New York folks who like French spirits, importer Nicolas Palazzi will be at Union Square Wines tomorrow night (Wed, 2/22) and doing a tasting of some of the spirits in the PM Spirits portfolio. Link to more info and tickets is here.

PM Spirits is a pretty cool operation that imports really high quality (though many times also high priced) cognac, armagnac, calvados, eau de vie, and even tequila and mezcal. Generally their imports are unadulterated and bottled at fairly high proof. Some of the notable products they've imported over the past couple years are the Jacky Navarre cognac, Domaine du Tertre calvados, Rochelt eau de vie, Navazos Palazzi whisky aged in Palo Cortado casks, an oloroso sherry-aged rum, and many others.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Kpiz said:

For any New York folks who like French spirits, importer Nicolas Palazzi will be at Union Square Wines tomorrow night (Wed, 2/22) and doing a tasting of some of the spirits in the PM Spirits portfolio. Link to more info and tickets is here.

PM Spirits is a pretty cool operation that imports really high quality (though many times also high priced) cognac, armagnac, calvados, eau de vie, and even tequila and mezcal. Generally their imports are unadulterated and bottled at fairly high proof. Some of the notable products they've imported over the past couple years are the Jacky Navarre cognac, Domaine du Tertre calvados, Rochelt eau de vie, Navazos Palazzi whisky aged in Palo Cortado casks, an oloroso sherry-aged rum, and many others.

I have found the 30 year old Navarre Pineau des Charentes to be pretty remarkable as well! And all things considered not that costly. I have no idea if e still has any.

Did anyone make it to the event?

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:15 AM, Kpiz said:

Having my first small pour from a bottle of Jacoulot l'Authentique Marc de Bourgogne. Sku's review (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2016/12/jacoulot-marc-de-bourgogne.html) convinced me to buy it...a "fabulously bizarre spirit experience" sounded too good to pass up! 

It smells like a young rhum agricole, sweet but funky and grassy with golden raisins. The taste is immediately full of spices, which develop into honey sweetness, those golden raisins again, and it finishes on a mulled mead-like note with some cocoa powder.

This is really cool stuff. I'm excited to work my way through this bottle so I can try to identify more flavors in it.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Sounds very interesting.  

I's here! Along with a companion.

58af0b9256d83_Frenchmarcjacoulotmarcsdujura.JPG.12fdc872a1edae505f2c2557602f8909.JPG

Get ready for the funk-fest of earthy notes, with dirt and really strong French cheese rind, wild mushrooms and grape seeds. What more could you ask for???

16 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I's here! Along with a companion.

58af0b9256d83_Frenchmarcjacoulotmarcsdujura.JPG.12fdc872a1edae505f2c2557602f8909.JPG

Get ready for the funk-fest of earthy notes, with dirt and really strong French cheese rind, wild mushrooms and grape seeds. What more could you ask for???

Handsome devils they are! Looking forward to hearing your notes on both, but especially the Jacoulot, given the different label from the one I got. Will these make it to a Wednesday tasting soon?

15 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Handsome devils they are! Looking forward to hearing your notes on both, but especially the Jacoulot, given the different label from the one I got. Will these make it to a Wednesday tasting soon?

Not sure as Wednesday tasting are on a bit of a hold at the moment. Might make it to a Saturday evening tasting soon though!

Tonight I drank a small bottle of 25yo calvados I got from Vom Fass a while back. The person working the shop at the time wasn't sure who the producer of this calvados is. This has a nice apple flavor and a little oak, well rounded but not a great depth of flavor.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:15 AM, Kpiz said:

Having my first small pour from a bottle of Jacoulot l'Authentique Marc de Bourgogne. Sku's review (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2016/12/jacoulot-marc-de-bourgogne.html) convinced me to buy it...a "fabulously bizarre spirit experience" sounded too good to pass up! 

It smells like a young rhum agricole, sweet but funky and grassy with golden raisins. The taste is immediately full of spices, which develop into honey sweetness, those golden raisins again, and it finishes on a mulled mead-like note with some cocoa powder.

This is really cool stuff. I'm excited to work my way through this bottle so I can try to identify more flavors in it.

Whilst a group of GBS members were attending the Third Annual Kirkwood Whiskey Society White Elephant "gala" this weekend a bottle of the Jacoulot marc brandy made a preshow appearance. I have to agree with Kyle's assessment of a vegetal funky raison-y flavor with a finish that seemed to go on forever (perhaps from the cheese rind and rotting garbage notes that SKU found!). It seemed to be enjoyed by most folks but it was perhaps not the best choice to start an evening of whiskey. Took a while to get the palate back on track... :huh:

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Whilst a group of GBS members were attending the Third Annual Kirkwood Whiskey Society White Elephant "gala" this weekend a bottle of the Jacoulot marc brandy made a preshow appearance. I have to agree with Kyle's assessment of a vegetal funky raison-y flavor with a finish that seemed to go on forever (perhaps from the cheese rind and rotting garbage notes that SKU found!). It seemed to be enjoyed by most folks but it was perhaps not the best choice to start an evening of whiskey. Took a while to get the palate back on track... :huh:

Sounds like the Jacoulot was a hit! I was considering throwing it into a future whiskey tasting as well, though based on your experience, I will make sure to put it at the end.

Also, since our notes closely align, it seems that the slight changes in the label recently are not indicative of any change in the liquid itself, which is good.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Sounds like the Jacoulot was a hit! I was considering throwing it into a future whiskey tasting as well, though based on your experience, I will make sure to put it at the end.

Also, since our notes closely align, it seems that the slight changes in the label recently are not indicative of any change in the liquid itself, which is good.

Yes, that would seem to be the case although I would still be curious to know about the labels if the opportunity presents itself.

18 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, that would seem to be the case although I would still be curious to know about the labels if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm still curious as well. I'll try to catch one of the spirits guys the next time I'm in K&L

Re-tried the 1992 and 1981 Domaine dubCardinat Armagnacs tonight. I really enjoyed both when I first opened them but the balance between the sweet and the oak seemed off tonight for some reason. The 1981 is pretty weird, it starts sweet, then goes sour, then has a nice, dry, oaky finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the '81 Cardinat Armagnac again tonight. It's so oaky and so sweet at the same time. I tried it next to the '78 Pellehaut, which is also seriously oaky, and the Cardinat made it taste bland.

Finishing the night now with a small pour of the Jacoulot Marc. Tonight it smells and tastes like one of those expensive fresh juices...I get carrot, pineapple and ginger

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:31 AM, Kpiz said:

Hit the '81 Cardinat Armagnac again tonight. It's so oaky and so sweet at the same time. I tried it next to the '78 Pellehaut, which is also seriously oaky, and the Cardinat made it taste bland.

Finishing the night now with a small pour of the Jacoulot Marc. Tonight it smells and tastes like one of those expensive fresh juices...I get carrot, pineapple and ginger

The Jacoulot does seem to be all over the map doesn't it! I was having a bit last night and was getting a lot of grassy apple character mixed with the one constant, a raison-y character in the back of the palate and finish. Of course it wasn't the only thing I had tried last night so who knows?

I also broke open the Labet Jura Marc. Although not indicated that I can tell, the K&L website says it is 10yo. But it is rather clearly marked as a 2003 vintage which means this has been sitting around for a while. A bit sweeter with less overall funk makes this one a little less complex but more approachable and easier to drink several glasses in a single sitting than the Jacoulot. It was corked like a bottle of wine (and so requiring a cork screw) and the cork looked a bit funky when I took it out and tried to come apart on me. I did manage to get it out in one piece but replaced it with another cork right away. 

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Jacoulot does seem to be all over the map doesn't it! I was having a bit last night and was getting a lot of grassy apple character mixed with the one constant, a raison-y character in the back of the palate and finish. Of course it wasn't the only thing I had tried last night so who knows?

I also broke open the Labet Jura Marc. Although not indicated that I can tell, the K&L website says it is 10yo. But it is rather clearly marked as a 2003 vintage which means this has been sitting around for a while. A bit sweeter with less overall funk makes this one a little less complex but more approachable and easier to drink several glasses in a single sitting than the Jacoulot. It was corked like a bottle of wine (and so requiring a cork screw) and the cork looked a bit funky when I took it out and tried to come apart on me. I did manage to get it out in one piece but replaced it with another cork right away. 

Yes it always seems to surprise me. You could be onto something in regards to it tasting a bit differently depending on what one drinks beforehand. I had the rather bold '81 Cardinat beforehand, and while it didn't make the Jacoulot seem bland whatsoever, perhaps it drowned out some of the noise, which is why I picked up the ginger and carrot thing.

That Labet sounds pretty tasty as well. I may need to crack mine open this weekend, and I'll be sure to have a spare cork handy.

13 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Yes it always seems to surprise me. You could be onto something in regards to it tasting a bit differently depending on what one drinks beforehand. I had the rather bold '81 Cardinat beforehand, and while it didn't make the Jacoulot seem bland whatsoever, perhaps it drowned out some of the noise, which is why I picked up the ginger and carrot thing.

That Labet sounds pretty tasty as well. I may need to crack mine open this weekend, and I'll be sure to have a spare cork handy.

You can try scraping some of the wax seal off but I found just scraping it down to glass around the lip and then putting the corkscrew through the top layer of wax and into the cork worked ok. Makes a damned mess scraping off the wax though. I would drill well down into the cork before trying to extract it.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You can try scraping some of the wax seal off but I found just scraping it down to glass around the lip and then putting the corkscrew through the top layer of wax and into the cork worked ok. Makes a damned mess scraping off the wax though. I would drill well down into the cork before trying to extract it.

That hard wax the French use drives me nuts. After almost maiming myself a couple times with a knife trying to scrape it off, I finally just started smacking the top of the bottle against a wall, which does the job but of course presents other issues. Not sure if that'll even work with this bottle, though, so I'll use your suggested technique. I should also make sure I have a corkscrew around my house somewhere...

6 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

That hard wax the French use drives me nuts. After almost maiming myself a couple times with a knife trying to scrape it off, I finally just started smacking the top of the bottle against a wall, which does the job but of course presents other issues. Not sure if that'll even work with this bottle, though, so I'll use your suggested technique. I should also make sure I have a corkscrew around my house somewhere...

Yes, a corkscrew will definitely prove useful, especially when dealing with small producers of alcoholic oddities in France! I am surprised you didn't encounter bottles of Calvados from small producers with a wine style cork in it.

19 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, a corkscrew will definitely prove useful, especially when dealing with small producers of alcoholic oddities in France! I am surprised you didn't encounter bottles of Calvados from small producers with a wine style cork in it.

I'm surprised too, now that you mention it. Part of it is probably that most producers use the traditional calvados bottle (the one Camut uses). The other part of it is probably that I haven't opened all my spoils from that trip yet! There are a few bottles in particular, which are not in the traditional bottle, that could very well have traditional corks. Most of the domaines we visited already had open bottles of their calvados (and pommeau) to try, so I don't know if I would have made mental note of a traditional cork in one of their bottles, even if it was sticking out the top.

Well it seems I've gone further down the Marc de Bourgogne rabbit hole. Cracked this new bottle open tonight and much to my chagrin, it not only had a thick layer of wax to get through but also a wine cork. I finally got got. I think this is the first bottle I've ever seen with a wine style cork inside a screw top bottle covered in wax.

Onto the contents. This tastes similar to the Jacoulot Marc, but a bit drier, more muted, and more of a candy fruit note than a fresh fruit note. The label says this spent 20 years in the barrel and that could certainly explain why it's a bit more tame. Very good in its own right though!
a46b7da4b960f152b93abfed67ca4277.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A co-worker bought me a bottle of this La Pommerie Pays d'Auge Calvados a few months ago. Based on the address on the label, it is made by Chateau de Breuil, which is one of the largest producers in the region according to Charles Neal's book. This is light and bright with a pure apple flavor, some vanilla, and some roughness around the edges. I wasn't sure what to expect but this is actually pretty decent.

I followed that with a small pour of the K&L exclusive Michel Huard Vieux calvados, which shows more refinement, oak, and depth. Yum.
51d36a792200bc8732bc28d0852c795e.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I was eating some cheese and figured a nice calvados would pair well, so I'm drinking some Michel Huard Vieux K&L exclusive calvados. I have gushed about this calvados before but I really like this blend, it's like condensed apple skins

Something with a bit more oak sounded nice, so I'm staying within the French spirits genre and having some '78 Pellehaut. This one smells like a really well-aged bourbon, the palate is on the verge of being over-oaked but balanced by some caramel and burnt sugar, and it finishes on a tart but nice oaky note

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I picked up two new Armagnacs from K&L, a 1996 Lous Pibous and a 1974 Le Sable. Both are bottled by L'Encantada, a French outfit that ages and bottles the Armagnac for the two domaines (Le Sable is no longer distilling, not sure if Pibous is). Of course I had to open both bottles as soon as I got home. The bottles themselves are closed with a normal artificial cork stopper and then the tops (down about half of the neck) are dipped in bright orange wax. Luckily the wax peels off pretty easily, which saved me from having to either smash the top against a wall (necessary for the harder waxes they sometimes use) or take a knife to it, which always seems to result in a near-filleting of my hand.

Anyways, I only had about an ounce of each, so while I will reserve in-depth tasting notes until I can spend a little more time with them, I can say that these are very different brandies. My first impressions are below.

The '74 Le Sable is very light and fresh (though not thin), only slightly sweet with a variety of spice notes. This is bottled at 40.1% ABV, which I believe is actually cask-strength, as the L'Encantada website maintains that they bottle at cask-strength and with no additives. Unfortunately and surprisingly (since this spent 42 years in the barrel and received no water pre-bottling) this has a slightly diluted quality. I tend to appreciate overt and powerful flavors over delicate and subtle ones (with some exceptions), so this one, while nice, is a little too light for me. I'll adjust my expectations and try it on another night when I feel my palate is at high-sensitivity.

The '96 Lous Pibous (53.6% ABV) is sort of the opposite of the Le Sable. A big chewy monster of a brandy, it has bold flavors that evolve throughout the sip. It has some fruit, spice, sweetness, and oak in almost perfect amounts and they combine in interesting ways. It also has a nice long finish. It is not as bourbon-like as the '96 Pellehaut that K&L brought in a few years ago, but it does have bourbony characteristics (likely due at least partially to this being aged in new oak casks). I really, really like this one and highly recommend it. I should note that someone said this bottle benefited from being opened for a few days, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes as it gets a bit of air.

Edited by Kpiz