The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

Picked up 3 bottles of Comandon XO for $50 each… single barrel 10 year, single barrel 15 year and regular bottling, which is supposed to average 25 years. I passed on a single barrel 7 year that was a little too young and grapey for me.

Hey guys, I've been enjoying the discussion. I'm just getting into Armagnac and was wondering what you would recommend in the $50 and $100 range that's available in the States? My preference would be to go with ones that are good for crossover bourbon drinkers.

I was looking at the Darroze 20 Grandes Assemblages...would that be a good starting point?

Also at a slightly lower price point was considering either the Pellehaut '94 or '96. Anyone have thoughts on either of those?

Edited by md222

Hey guys, I've been enjoying the discussion. I'm just getting into Armagnac and was wondering what you would recommend in the $50 and $100 range that's available in the States? My preference would be to go with ones that are good for crossover bourbon drinkers.

I was looking at the Darroze 20 Grandes Assemblages...would that be a good starting point?

Also at a slightly lower price point was considering either the Pellehaut '94 or '96. Anyone have thoughts on either of those?

Some good info here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18865-Armagnac-recommendations

Thanks. A good starting point. But for some reason that thread has been closed as of a couple years ago.

Although the thread is closed the info can still be useful. I have enjoyed some of the options from smaller houses that K&L Wines sometimes stocks. If you live in California or are able to get shipments from them there may be something of interest for you. I liked the 1996 Chateau de Pellehaut for example.

Although the thread is closed the info can still be useful. I have enjoyed some of the options from smaller houses that K&L Wines sometimes stocks. If you live in California or are able to get shipments from them there may be something of interest for you. I liked the 1996 Chateau de Pellehaut for example.

Thanks. I had read some good things about the '96. Might grab a bottle with my next K&L order. Was deliberating between that one and the '94 as I think SKU (or another blogger) was saying last years '96 was a bit better.

Thanks. I had read some good things about the '96. Might grab a bottle with my next K&L order. Was deliberating between that one and the '94 as I think SKU (or another blogger) was saying last years '96 was a bit better.

May also want to see if any of the Baraillon or Pouchegu is still around as well but I expect it sold fast.

SKU reviews

May also want to see if any of the Baraillon or Pouchegu is still around as well but I expect it sold fast.

SKU reviews

Thanks for the suggestions...sadly they look to be all gone. I'll probably grab a bottle or two of the best of what's left and keep my eye out for some new stuff down the road. I'm sure the K&L crew is busy working on some new additions.

Edited by md222

Trying my first sips of a Marie Duffau Hors d 'Age. Nice nose with a dark fruit raisiny character. But, had to be very careful to not let the alcohol burn rip through. Only 80 proof, but the alcohol note is strong at times. But, the nose is very pleasing overall, and portends a fullness for the palate. It starts that way with some nice Bourbony semi-sweet caramel hints with dried figs at the beginning of the tip of the tongue, and I am ready for these flavors to explode into something more...but that "extra gear" that seems to be next , just doesn't come. Just, OK... The finish is a big disappointment, as it falls off almost immediately, and enforces to me that there simply is no extra gear to come, and the best of this Spirit came early on.

My first try at an Armagnac, and I'm left wanting. I'll step it up to another, though, as I'm always game to try and learn!

My favorite Armagnac that I've had is the 1996 Chateau de Pellehaut (18 years old) that K&L has. I didn't have the one that SKU preferred, I had a bottle of it from the next year which I think is the same batch they bottled again this year (must be sitting in glass at this point). They have had several of the Pellehaut's but the 18 year has been my favorite and it's only $59.99 which is a relative bargain for something like this.

I have a bottle of the Darroze 20, it's very good. I'm very happy with it, though still prefer the Pellehaut. It's a bit sweeter than the Pellehaut but very tasty.

As far as anything not age stated or vintage dated goes, I would submit Domaine d'Esperance XO as an example of something that can still be very good. It's $55 a bottle at K&L which isn't cheap but for an Armagnac of this quality is still a good deal. I find myself returning to this one over and over. It's not the biggest or boldest but it's easy drinking and really pleasant. I really very much enjoy it and have drained my bottle pretty quick and will probably be picking up another one.

Edited by md222

Delord 25 is a beautiful armagnac. I loooovvvvvve the armagnac flavor profile. It is like a bourbon mixed with a cognac. Big bold caramel and wood spice over the delicate pepper and grape notes of cognac. The Delord 25 is often found at bevmo for 60 bucks on sale and has alot of oak, vanilla and caramel notes.

My local shop has a bottle or 3 of the Delord (Duffau) 25. Are all Delord 25s the same? I was thinking about picking it up assuming the $75 price is considered reasonable.

75 is a bit high but it's worthy the price. The Delord 25 should be the same.

Thanks for the quick reply! Reviews seem to be pretty solid across the board. Think I'll give it a go.

I love that 96 Pellehaut. Coincidentally I have already hit that bottle tonight! Been through multiples since the first release and the newer ones taste the same to me.

I love that 96 Pellehaut. Coincidentally I have already hit that bottle tonight! Been through multiples since the first release and the newer ones taste the same to me.

Mine is on the way. Added it to my open orders and everything shipped out today...should arrive in time for the weekend. Looking forward to trying it.

Trying my first sips of a Marie Duffau Hors d 'Age. Nice nose with a dark fruit raisiny character. But, had to be very careful to not let the alcohol burn rip through. Only 80 proof, but the alcohol note is strong at times. But, the nose is very pleasing overall, and portends a fullness for the palate. It starts that way with some nice Bourbony semi-sweet caramel hints with dried figs at the beginning of the tip of the tongue, and I am ready for these flavors to explode into something more...but that "extra gear" that seems to be next , just doesn't come. Just, OK... The finish is a big disappointment, as it falls off almost immediately, and enforces to me that there simply is no extra gear to come, and the best of this Spirit came early on.

My first try at an Armagnac, and I'm left wanting. I'll step it up to another, though, as I'm always game to try and learn!

Ferrand 1er Cru de Cognac Ambre. I've had this several times over the years, but never really have given much thought to it. Spending some time with it, tonight. Much less alcohol heat on the nose than the Duffau, while the rest of the nose was less raisiny. Fairly simple in comparison, but more enjoyable. A Sherwin-Williams latex paint thing going on, like what I got in the Courvoisier that one of our poker buddies used to bring to the table years ago. Simple still, over the palate with some sweetness and honey. Finish is sort of...short...and has an industrial quality to it. Maybe, that paint thing, again ? Overall, it's decent. Certainly drinkable. But, nothing to get me excited about the category. But, price is good at $29.

I'll keep trying.

Well, that's a bummer to hear, as the MD Hors d'Age and Delord XO were in line for my next purchases. Have you revisited Marie and do you still have the same impression?

Got my KL shipment today! Among some other items, it included:

1996 Chateau de Pellehaut 18 Year

Darroze Les Grande Assemblages 20 Year

1974 Domaine de Baraillon 40 Year

Based on what I've read here I'm very excited to break a couple of these bottles. Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, that's a bummer to hear, as the MD Hors d'Age and Delord XO were in line for my next purchases. Have you revisited Marie and do you still have the same impression?

I have, Hank. Can't say that I enjoy it any more. But, the alcohol note on the nose has settled way down, which allows for a more pleasant experience there. Still relatively tame. The Delord 25 is on my hit list next. So many good things reported on that one. I'm hoping that more age brings these around for me. Or, this could all be a mindset thing, I got going. Transitioning from bourbon to these appellations may require an adjustment in expectations of what I need to be looking for. A kind of not seeing the forest for the trees kinda thing. We never know til we try, right Hank!

:toast:

Got my KL shipment today! Among some other items, it included:

1996 Chateau de Pellehaut 18 Year

Darroze Les Grande Assemblages 20 Year

1974 Domaine de Baraillon 40 Year

Based on what I've read here I'm very excited to break a couple of these bottles. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm drinking a bit of the Baraillon 20 year right now which hits all the right button, I'm really curious to hear about the 40.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up some Tariquet 15 year cask strength (but only about 95 proof). I've had good luck with Armagnac in the past, loved Delord 25 and MD Hor D'age. This one is thin and solventy in comparison. Still drinkable but not my favorite.

• 4 months later...

The follow up to the powerhouse barrel proof "Chad" cognac from earlier this year is out. This time it is a 10yo cognac that had part of the distillate aged in a regular Limousin cognac cask for 5 years while the other part was aged in a presumably fresh high quality Sauternescask for 5 years. After 5 years they were switched and aged for an additional 5 years before being married together and bottlesd I wish that I had gotten 2 of the BP Chad last yearsso this year I took a chance and got 2 bottles. Hope that proves to be a good move!

attachment.php?attachmentid=21873&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21874&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21875&stc=1

A bottle of the Gourry De Chadville cognac just arrived thanks to help from a fellow SBer along with a bottle of a Navarre cognac that came highly recommended despite the price to see if I can find some cognac's outside the big labels that are as interesting as some recent armagnac's.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20026&stc=1

The "Chad" is cask strength as is the Navarre although cask strength is down to 90 proof for this one. Depending on how it goes might try to work these in tomorrow at the Wednesday tasting. Will likely need to go first before some of the scheduled whiskies start bombing the palate!

post-8493-14489822985048_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489822985297_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489822985519_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Working my way through this thread (not all the way through yet) because I'm intrigued by the possibilities of a good cognac or armagnac. I periodically read sku's reviews which are usually something interesting from K&L. Unfortunately, K&L won't ship here so I'm starting to look around to see what's available locally. Total Wine has a lot of Chateau de Laubade Armagnac of various vintages from the 70's into the 80's. Have any of you tried one of these vintage stated versions?