5 that are ALWAYS in your rotation

AnotherCigarGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

along with the 4 I have......

im going to limit myself to buying one a month. How long do you obsessive/compulsives

think that will last? ;)

I started buying one a month, and I tried to make it the BOTM on this board. When the BOTM was too pricey or not available, I went with something cheap that would be considered a staple.

1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed

2. Old Ezra 7/101

3. Wild Turkey 101 Rye (If not available, Knob Creek Rye)

4. Michter's Sour Mash

5. Elijah Craig 12

1. Bulleit

2. Rittenhouse Rye BiB

3. Very Old Barton 100 proof

4. Old Weller Antique

5. Either WT101 or WT Rye 101

1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed

2. Old Ezra 7/101

3. Wild Turkey 101 Rye (If not available, Knob Creek Rye)

4. Michter's Sour Mash

5. Elijah Craig 12

1. OWA/W12

2. OGD 114

3. Rock Hill Farms or Blantons (my bottles have been on sale for under $50)

I definitely have other bottles, but those three cover the three main bases: cheap everyday sip (Weller blend), fantastic mixer for Old Fashioneds (OGD) and a mid-shelf sipper for those slightly more special nights that don't call for the limited editions.

If I could find another bottle of ETL at a sale price, I would add it to the list. At full price, ETL doesn't quite compare to the RHF and Blantons at sale prices.

FR1B

OWA/W12

ETL

Blanton's

Ritt BIB/Baby Saz

Other staples include OGD 114, EC12 and EWSB.

I don't know if I am big time enough for a rotation but I always try to have EC12, WL12, Blanton's, OGD and HH 6-year BIB on hand.

help me out......ethan, what is it you like about the old ezra 101? what would you compare it to?

im seriously considering an ezra as my next purchase, and dont know which to get....the 12/99 or the 7/101.

Both are great. The 12/99 is a "lively" drier version of Elijah Craig 12. The 7/101 reminds me of Fighting Cock, but with more vanilla and less burn. Both are excellent whiskies, and for the price why not get them both?

SB blend

ORVW 10/107

ETL

either ER10 or retailer SB BT selections

WTR101

im with you on that.....one a month. something new each time, until i find things that im determined to keep around. then it stays in the shelf stuff as i continue the one a month search. right now i only have two that stay on the shelf......KC120 and OGD 114. once i polish off the remains of the VOB BIB and OGD BIB, then i'll bring in a new one. im thinking of bringing an Ezra in next.........now, should it be the 7/101 or the 12/99?

decisions, decisions....

I am a noob here, but I can attest that Old Ezra 101 is on my list of bourbon to keep "in stock". I LOVE shopping off the bottom shelf, and am currently lamenting the loss of OGD 86, although the OGD 100 is helping with the transition. If only I could find OGD 114 in Seattle...

My 5?

OGD 100

Old Ezra 101

Dickel 12

BT

OGD 86 (when I can find it)

I have a TON to learn, but feel fortunate that the "bottom shelf" suits my palate. For now...;-)

Its almost impossible to stick to the $50 limit in my part of the world but here is my list anyway:

WT rye 101

Ritt BiB - i have a deal with my local so they always have a bottle stashed away

EC12

WT RB

Blantons private reserve

In an ideal world where I had easy access to a greater range of whiskey i would exchange purchases of the WT rye for OGD114

And the EC12 for OWA107

I have a TON to learn, but feel fortunate that the "bottom shelf" suits my palate. For now...;-)

I submit Bourbon has no bottom shelf, that's for vodka and blends.

I submit Bourbon has no bottom shelf, that's for vodka and blends.

I'd say the only 1 that's always in the rotation is EC12. It's just too good of a value and usually I pick up the 1.75L. I find that there's just so much out there reasonably priced that I cycle through expressions as bottles come to an end. I'll always have something WT, BT, Beam, and FR in addition to HH. I guess I prefer variety. And run out of space in my tiny bourbon cabinet too fast!

Assuming the title means what I have today/right now in my rotation that was $50 or less which would always remain, here is what I'd go with:

Elijah Craig 12 yr Barrel Proof

Old Grand-Dad 114

Willett Rye 4 yr

SB Blend (Weller 12 + Old Weller Antique 107)

Four Roses Single Barrel OBSO Barrel Proof

Now if the question is more along the lines of "If I could only have 5 bottles under $50 that are readily available", this is my list:

Rittenhouse BIB

Bookers

Old Grand-Dad 114

Four Roses Single Barrel

BUT - if the list can include items made currently (ie - no dusties) but not necessarily available all the time, I'd go with:

Elijah Craig 12 yr Barrel Proof

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107

Four Roses Single Barrel OBSO Barrel Proof

Willett Rye 5-8 yr

Anna, Christy, Jennifer, Kate, Olivia

"...in different area codes... Area codes..."

Howdy, My tastes are pretty pedestrian, but here goes. 1. Old Forester Signature 2. Baker's 3. Maker's Mark. 4. Jim Beam black label 5. Wild turkey 101.

Howdy, My tastes are pretty pedestrian, but here goes. 1. Old Forester Signature 2. Baker's 3. Maker's Mark. 4. Jim Beam black label 5. Wild turkey 101.

Nothing wrong there - I think your taste is just fine!

1. SB blend - 60%OWA/40%W12

2. Always have 1 Pappy Expression open

3. A straight Rye - currently Willett 4 year SB

4. EWSB

5. FR Small Batch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.