Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am sure this in the forum somewhere, if so, please direct me and those interested.

I have learned a great deal about likes, dislikes, and top 5's. I have read wide ranging opinions on pricing, marketing, and proofs as reasons to dislike or like particular bourbons.

From this, I have been able to deduce what the niche preferences are, but could someone illustrate their personal top 5 (or more) worst tasting bourbons in order. I would love to hear what these are and why you think so. If price, marketing, and proofing is a string reason, that's fine too, please say so.

Thanks

Best,

My worst 5 may be someone else's best 5 and vice versa.

What exactly do you hope to get from a list of negativity like this?

1. Anything labeled "Van Winkle"

2. Parker's Heritage Collection

3. BTAC

4. Four Roses Small Batch LE

5. Old Crow

But seriously... I agree with Scott.

1. Anything labeled "Van Winkle"

2. Parker's Heritage Collection

3. BTAC

4. Four Roses Small Batch LE

5. Old Crow

But seriously... I agree with Scott.

I don't know, y'all. There seemed to be no problem with piling on the negativity in the WT Forgiven thread...It was machine gun fire of pithy one-liners. Heck, Jimmy Russell was called nothing short of a liar. Why not draw a bead on more, and have an orgy of it...?

5 bourbons I bought once and probably won't buy again:

Ezra B 12yo. I bought it on vacation and thought it tasted like a flatter version of EC12 for a higher price. Higher proof as well, but it didn't matter in the bottle I had.

RR 10/90. Another bottle I bought on vacation that doesn't really have a place on my home bar.

Hmmm, can't really put any Beam products on the list because someday I might be somewhere where it's my only choice. Same goes for Jack.

I bought minis of EW Black that didn't make me rush out to buy a bottle, but I can't say I won't do it again.

I avoid pretty much all of the sourced bourbons out there, with some exceptions. And there are more and more of them on the shelf each time I make the trip to the liquor store. Why do I avoid them? Mostly because they're too expensive for me to experiment on when there are so many well-priced whiskeys that I already know are good.

That's about the best I can do.

i only have two, so far, that are in the "no way in hell could you even pay me to drink them" category

old overholt

ECBP.....still kills me to say that

lots of other stuff i wouldnt buy again, but might not turn them down if someone handed me one. practically everything under 90 proof fits that bill

I like some negativity, criticality, and cynicism in my life, but welcome the honest lived experience factor. As a new person, learning dislikes is a highly enjoyable endeavor because it comes from a critical level of perception that is more invested and honest. People usually remember what they dislike. A person's reasons for exclusion also provides insight into their level of connoisseurship and personal preferences, which one could then use as a measurement or self barometer to decide if their taste aligns with others. When someone dislikes a thing I enjoy, I learn from them. I love that. Conversely, perhaps you had a bad day when you tried Elijah Craig 12 or you received a promotion at work the day you opened a Woodford for the first time, it makes a difference. But maybe you love spicy notes from rye contents and nothing a wheat bourbon can do will ever change you.

Furthermore, as to motive for this post, I get confused when I see comments where a person will say they enjoyed Basil Hayden, yet scoff at Old Grand Dad 114, why is that, they are both High Rye's, it's odd to me. With a simple list/game of what one avoids or dislikes and why, we can make educated decisions on what to drink and spend more time with. We can also lightly bicker about choices etc.

If it's a dumb thread, knock it down. You'll get no gripes from me. I'll just stick to reading what everyone likes and refrain from drinking the lesser mentioned. You learn what people dislike in reading what they rave about anyway. I suppose I was looking for some in depth reasoning on personal taste.

Best,

Keep in mind that mash bill is only one part of the picture. For example I love OGD 114 but not basil Hayden. That one is a proof thing. Or is it, I don't know. It could be recipe/ location of the barrels, age or other factors. I don't like bad mouthing people's whiskey. There is a lot of industry folks on this site who don't need to hear my negative "opinions". There are things I used to dislike that I now like.

i only have two, so far, that are in the "no way in hell could you even pay me to drink them" category

old overholt

ECBP.....still kills me to say that

lots of other stuff i wouldnt buy again, but might not turn them down if someone handed me one. practically everything under 90 proof fits that bill

I once ate a raw egg in college for $15 so I can say there isn't any bourbon I couldn't be paid to drink.

Great point. Industry people don't need to read that, agreed. From observation, I think everyone on the forums are diplomatic enough to say "I prefer OGD114 over BH." No industry person can dispute preferences as they all have their own. I know brew masters who make a fine product, but would kill for a job over at such-and-such brewery because they love what that one makes better. Taste is opinion.

I too am against badmouthing.

Best,

This reminds me of an article I read about an interview with one of the Trappist brewers. The interviewer asked what his favorite brewer was and he responded anheiser-Busch. His reasoning was that they made millions of gallons of beer a day at many breweries and they got it all to have little variation in taste.

I'll add two to your list.

The two I'd place in the "least favored" category are:

1) Anything from Cascade Hollow (George Dickel Products). I know there are many who love the 'green apple' flavor and grassy notes in their stuff. I do not.

2) Old Whiskey River (Willie Nelson's brand). Just doesn't seem to have any redeeminmg qualities, although his music is quiet 'istenable'.

With all due respect, we have lists of top X bourbons/ryes/malts all over this site; the opposite is also very helpful and offers insight which warrants further discussion. In an era of whiskey where quality is declining and distilleries are pulling out all the stops to separate whiskey drinkers from their hard-earned money with questionable products, I think this thread only adds to the knowledge base and may give people pause and encourage them to do a little further research before buying a bottle that severely disappoints. We are not beholden to any distiller here and should reign down warranted criticism just as often as praise.

Personally, I avoid:

- Wild Turkey Rye 81: It sucks and is a serious step back from the 101, a real disservice to (former) customers.

- Rebel Yell: It sucks even more; even though it is cheap, it is not worth it.

- Woodford Reserve: It is expensive bourbon that many love, but I get a strange and unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

- Booker's: Even more expensive and like drinking a vat of cloying corn syrup.

- Any bourbon that uses GMO corn: Proven unsafe? No. Proven safe? No. Allowed into Europe and Asia? Nope.

Edited by LostBottle

Only bourbon i have tried that i just wouldn't buy again is a 1835 (sourced). Not that it was undrinkable, just so many options at or under the price point.

Fact is in my personal rating system they all do at least ok, some are just better, other times your tastes may want something different.

Maybe a better topic would five worst value bourbons :)

With all due respect, we have lists of top X bourbons/ryes/malts all over this site; the opposite is also very helpful and offers insight which warrants further discussion. In an era of whiskey where quality is declining and distilleries are pulling out all the stops to separate whiskey drinkers from their hard-earned money with questionable products, I think this thread only adds to the knowledge base and may give people pause and encourage them to do a little further research before buying a bottle that severely disappoints. We are not beholden to any distiller here and should reign down warranted criticism just as often as praise.

Personally, I avoid:

- Wild Turkey Rye 81: It sucks and is a serious step back from the 101, a real disservice to (former) customers.

- Rebel Yell: It sucks even more; even though it is cheap, it is not worth it.

- Woodford Reserve: It is expensive bourbon that many love, but I get a strange and unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

- Booker's: Even more expensive and like drinking a vat of cloying corn syrup.

- Any bourbon that uses GMO corn: Proven unsafe? No. Proven safe? No. Allowed into Europe and Asia? Nope.

GMO corn!?!?... now there is a can of worms opened!

This reminds me of an article I read about an interview with one of the Trappist brewers. The interviewer asked what his favorite brewer was and he responded anheiser-Busch. His reasoning was that they made millions of gallons of beer a day at many breweries and they got it all to have little variation in taste.

Yeah, but really. How much variation can there be in distilled water?

Yeah, but really. How much variation can there be in distilled water?

Well I don't think he was claiming to like the taste. Just that they were consistent day after day, year to year. Quite impressive if you ask me. I think that was his point.

Don't want to threadjack, but if you're avoiding GMO corn, the only bourbon you can drink is Four Roses and Wild Turkey.

I agree. Thank you. Let's face it bourbon is a field, all fields have critics, histories, bodies of knowledge, genres, sub-genres, and consumers. Many here are critics even if they do not want to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.