Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm going to probably ruffle some feathers here, but remember- this is just my palate......

1. All Four Roses products (Tastes like battery acid and pure citrus with no depth to me)

2. Buffalo Trace bourbons (The raw, sappy oak and lightness turn my stomach)

3. Wheated bourbons (They lack too much depth for my liking)

4. Jim Beam black label (What's the hype on this stuff? It just tastes wet and flat)

5. Not a bourbon, but Wild Turkey 81 Rye is just foul (Or maybe fowl....- Good Lord, who is responsible for this brown water? I've had bottled water that is more intriguing and a better flavor profile.).

Agreed, while not a Bourbon the WTR81 isn't worth even cleaning tne toilet.

Just who is making the marketing decisions at WT?

You can dig yourself a grave that is imposible to dig out from.

Four Roses turned it around when Kirin bought them - maybe we need to pray for a WT sale ... did things start going off the rails with the Campari purchase in 2009?

I'm going to probably ruffle some feathers here, but remember- this is just my palate......

1. All Four Roses products (Tastes like battery acid and pure citrus with no depth to me)

2. Buffalo Trace bourbons (The raw, sappy oak and lightness turn my stomach)

3. Wheated bourbons (They lack too much depth for my liking)

4. Jim Beam black label (What's the hype on this stuff? It just tastes wet and flat)

5. Not a bourbon, but Wild Turkey 81 Rye is just foul (Or maybe fowl....- Good Lord, who is responsible for this brown water? I've had bottled water that is more intriguing and a better flavor profile.).

i agree with 1-4.......#5 i cant say, as i havent had any, and dont plan to either

1792 Ridgemont Reserve - Because I would rather buy a handle of VOB BiB for less $ than a fifth of this

Basil Hayden's - Why would I buy this when I can get OGD BiB or 114 for much, much less?

Pure Kentucky XO - Just didn't like the taste...too woody perhaps? It used to be a 12 year...strange because I like EC12.

Jack Daniel's - It's 80 proof and I can get 90 proof Dickel that tastes better for the same price or less

Maker's Mark - I like OWA, which is 107 proof wheater that tastes better to me and is cheaper

I've bought about 20 different bottles since I started drinking bourbon again...none are 80 proof and only a couple are 86. The majority are 100+ and I like it that way.

I've bought about 20 different bottles since I started drinking bourbon again...none are 80 proof and only a couple are 86. The majority are 100+ and I like it that way.

yip..................

1792 Ridgemont Reserve - Because I would rather buy a handle of VOB BiB for less $ than a fifth of this

Basil Hayden's - Why would I buy this when I can get OGD BiB or 114 for much, much less?

Pure Kentucky XO - Just didn't like the taste...too woody perhaps? It used to be a 12 year...strange because I like EC12.

Jack Daniel's - It's 80 proof and I can get 90 proof Dickel that tastes better for the same price or less

Maker's Mark - I like OWA, which is 107 proof wheater that tastes better to me and is cheaper

Agree 100% :grin:

Agreed, while not a Bourbon the WTR81 isn't worth even cleaning tne toilet.

Just who is making the marketing decisions at WT?

You can dig yourself a grave that is imposible to dig out from.

Though, I'll agree that some of WT's promotional/advertising campaigns are...well...OK, I think the Give 'em the Bird campaign is positively juvenile...But, the Marketing Dept. can't be blamed for the downward spiral of the whiskey (WTR 81 for example) they are putting out. That's on somebody(ies) else.

Thanks Guy, it is too bad you got the usual new guy treatment from some long time members, some of whom are moderators who could have moderated their reply to take into account your unfamiliarity. I understand why you would solicit the 5 least liked for comparison to the 5 most liked. It helps hone in on similar tastes. I don't know that I have "5 worst" but some are less liked than others.

I don't care for Basil Hayden though I like rye. It is not terrible, I just don't find it compelling.

4 Roses Yellow Label is not something I reach for very often as a sipper.

As the only staff member to have posted in the thread, I'm happy to see that my #1 fan on SB is still participating in bourbon related threads.

As far as the merits of this discussion are concerned, I'll simply say that the lists in this thread could easily be "favorite bottles", "favorite pours when someone else is buying" or "random lists of bourbon bottles that I have tried".

This is a common cost comparison, but Ridgemont Reserve and VOB are different mashbills with 1792 being much higher in malted barley. Essentially, they are different whiskies.

@callmeox- As far as the merits of this discussion are concerned, I'll simply say that the lists in this thread could easily be "favorite bottles", "favorite pours when someone else is buying" or "random lists of bourbon bottles that I have tried".

I think the thread holistically represents a smattering of bourbons that certain people predominantly avoid, which was the thread's initial aim. Based on this thread, I now have a list of bourbons that I will never buy or try. This thread has saved me time and money. I hope it does the same for other newcomers like me. I now have no reason to go suffering through problematic brands.

Thanks to all.

Best,

Okay, I'll play along. Here are five I'll probably not buy again, and why:

Jim Beam and Old Fitzgerald. In my misspent youth I enjoyed oceans of Old Fitz (preferred BIB to Prime, but loved them both) and JB was my go-to well pour when bar-hopping. Today's iterations of these brands just make me sad--they're shadows of their former selves. And I've recently had pours from dusties of both, so it's not just my sketchy memory.

Basil Hayden. I like all the other Beam small-batch labels, so was hopeful I'd like this one as well. Glad I tried it a couple of times in bars and didn't invest in a bottle. Too thin for me, lacking in flavor, and with a off-putting anise aquavit-like finish--not what I want in a bourbon.

Few. Don't know why I bought this pricey "craft" bourbon. Buy local, perhaps? Craft bourbon is an oxymoron--in my experience, good bourbons come from folks with years, usually generations, of distilling experience.

Early Times. Not really a bourbon and not really a bargain. Never liked the taste of this.

And I'll throw in a rye for sixth. Templeton. Fell for the media hype and bought the first bottle of it I saw. An expensive nothing special. Then when I learned the full story, I felt ripped off.

Cheers.

@callmeox- As far as the merits of this discussion are concerned, I'll simply say that the lists in this thread could easily be "favorite bottles", "favorite pours when someone else is buying" or "random lists of bourbon bottles that I have tried".

I think the thread holistically represents a smattering of bourbons that certain people predominantly avoid, which was the thread's initial aim. Based on this thread, I now have a list of bourbons that I will never buy or try. This thread has saved me time and money. I hope it does the same for other newcomers like me. I now have no reason to go suffering through problematic brands.

Thanks to all.

Best,

I always cringe a bit when folks make determinations on what to, or not to, try/buy, based on others opinions. But it's your nickel, so who am I to question. But, I would be interested to hear what are those bourbons you will never try or buy?

Based on this thread, I now have a list of bourbons that I will never buy or try.

I'm on team "this is a harmless thread, participate or don't, it's no big deal". Let me get that out of the way.

This is a really dangerous lesson to take from this. It's basically a bunch of Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and Basil Hayden bashing. Also blanket "all wheated bourbons", "all four roses", "all high rye", etc. dismissing. There are a lot of people who absolutely love all of those things. There are Woodford and Maker's die-hards who live and breathe for the stuff. You could be one of those guys, but you'll never know because of some list-mania thread?

I mean seriously, somebody on this page said no Four Roses, no wheated, no Buffalo Trace!? That's all well and good, and I don't discredit his own opinion of those things. But if you're just compiling a list of what not to buy from reading through this thread let me remind you of just a few things that opinion would eliminate from your bourbon experience...

Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses 2008 Mariage, 2009 Mariage, 2010 Small Batch Limited Edition, 2012 Small Batch Limited Edition, 2013 Small Batch Limited Edition, 40th Anniversary Single Barrel, 120th Anniversary Single Barrel, 100th Anniversary Single Barrel, 2012 Single Barrel Limited Edition, 2013 Single Barrel Limited Edition, countless sought after gift shop bottles like 17 year OBSV and 14 year OBSK. Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10 Year, Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year, CEHT Single Barrel, CEHT Barrel Proof, CEHT Tornado Survivor, CEHT Sour Mash, Stagg Jr., George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Eagle Rare 17 Year, W.L. Weller 12 Year, Old Weller Antique, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107, Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year.

And let's not forget Old Fitzgerald BIB, Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year, and the Parker's Heritage Collection 4th Edition 10 Year Wheated Mashbill while we're at it.

You know what, nevermind. Everyone reading this, make absolutely sure you don't purchase any of the bourbons listed above.

I do appreciate the generosity of the forums. I understand you don't want people/newcomers getting the wrong ideas from "list mania," good term and great point. The one thing that bothers me here is that there is this kind of "no shortcuts" "pay your dues kid" kind of approach to drinking liquor that I find silly. This is not martial arts, there are no black belts in drinking (maybe there are). I find all this apprentice vs. Jedi Master stuff immature and fraternal. You don't tell people to start out on PBR before they can try Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. You drink however, whatever, and whenever you want. I wish someone in high school would have said, "Hey, drop that Bud Light and try this Sierra Navada!" There are no steps to appreciation--it just takes research i.e. tasting, talking, and reading.

Based on price and/or taste, I am in no hurry to try these:

JTS Brown

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection

Very Old Barton

Bookers

Old Overholt

Ezra Brooks

Ancient Age

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Basil Hayden

Old Pogue

Willet

George Dickel

Rebel Yell

Ten High

Russel's Reserve

Thanks to all.

Best,

Are you including the bottles I listed among those you won't buy? 'Cause I'd really hate to steer you away from the wonders of Old Crow.

So, what you're saying is that you reject the opinion of those here who are telling you to try many things in order to form your own opinion and you embrace a list of random dislikes?

Since this thread ended up right where I assumed it would, I have one question:

What gives the list makers opinion more weight than those who are telling you to learn on your own?

Edited by callmeox

You really should just try everything. There are plenty of cheap and different ways to go about this. It's the only way you'll know what you like. Or you can just go by some random list.

You really should just try everything. There are plenty of cheap and different ways to go about this. It's the only way you'll know what you like. Or you can just go by some random list.

What he said. It's not about being a Jedi master or paying dues. Many on here love Eagle Rare, but I do not. You may love or hate it, but if you never try it...

I'm on team "this is a harmless thread, participate or don't, it's no big deal". Let me get that out of the way.

This is a really dangerous lesson to take from this. It's basically a bunch of Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and Basil Hayden bashing. Also blanket "all wheated bourbons", "all four roses", "all high rye", etc. dismissing. There are a lot of people who absolutely love all of those things. There are Woodford and Maker's die-hards who live and breathe for the stuff. You could be one of those guys, but you'll never know because of some list-mania thread?

I mean seriously, somebody on this page said no Four Roses, no wheated, no Buffalo Trace!? That's all well and good, and I don't discredit his own opinion of those things. But if you're just compiling a list of what not to buy from reading through this thread let me remind you of just a few things that opinion would eliminate from your bourbon experience...

Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses 2008 Mariage, 2009 Mariage, 2010 Small Batch Limited Edition, 2012 Small Batch Limited Edition, 2013 Small Batch Limited Edition, 40th Anniversary Single Barrel, 120th Anniversary Single Barrel, 100th Anniversary Single Barrel, 2012 Single Barrel Limited Edition, 2013 Single Barrel Limited Edition, countless sought after gift shop bottles like 17 year OBSV and 14 year OBSK. Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10 Year, Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year, CEHT Single Barrel, CEHT Barrel Proof, CEHT Tornado Survivor, CEHT Sour Mash, Stagg Jr., George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Eagle Rare 17 Year, W.L. Weller 12 Year, Old Weller Antique, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107, Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year, Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year.

And let's not forget Old Fitzgerald BIB, Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year, and the Parker's Heritage Collection 4th Edition 10 Year Wheated Mashbill while we're at it.

You know what, nevermind. Everyone reading this, make absolutely sure you don't purchase any of the bourbons listed above.

Did you really type all this Josh, or was it a copy and paste from somewhere else..:bowdown:

i have my share of opinions, like most of you guys. i try to work my way through most everything, starting at the bottom and working up. i read others' opinions to get ideas on what to try next, based on others with similar tastes to mine. i try not to avoid things based on others opinions though. ive tried some horrid shit, both highly raved about, and highly ranted about. but, its a learning experience, and try to look at it like that. no one distillery makes ONLY great stuff or ONLY bad stuff. the only things I refuse to try are the over $50 stuff....because to me, the only thing that can justify charging over $50 is stuff that the distillery has spent YEARS (or decades) maturing, and hence, paying taxes on, that require those costs in order to make any money on it. fortunately, this works out for me, as I really dont like highly aged stuff........and paying $50+ for something based solely upon marking is an unwise decision to me - i vote with my wallet. others disagree, and if they vote with their wallets, those distilleries will continue to make it. my fear is, though, that paying ever higher prices for this stuff will inevitably pull the lower end stuff up in prices as well.

how did i get here....?

The one thing that bothers me here is that there is this kind of "no shortcuts" "pay your dues kid" kind of approach to drinking liquor that I find silly. This is not martial arts, there are no black belts in drinking (maybe there are). I find all this apprentice vs. Jedi Master stuff immature and fraternal.

I am afraid that you have entirely misread the reality of this board by making this comment. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The reason that people on the board are always recommending that new folks try things for themselves, is because only the individual is the "Jedi Master" of his own tastes. SB is not about joining a herd, or an attempt at consensus building. It's about one's own Journey through Bourbonia...with friends to hang out with! :D

I remember from your New Member Intro that you said you currently enjoy Maker's. I would be willing to wager, that had you experienced this thread before trying it, Maker's would be on your "don't try/don't buy" list. Which of course, would be a pity.

i have my share of opinions, like most of you guys. i try to work my way through most everything, starting at the bottom and working up. i read others' opinions to get ideas on what to try next, based on others with similar tastes to mine. i try not to avoid things based on others opinions though. ive tried some horrid shit, both highly raved about, and highly ranted about. but, its a learning experience, and try to look at it like that. no one distillery makes ONLY great stuff or ONLY bad stuff. the only things I refuse to try are the over $50 stuff....because to me, the only thing that can justify charging over $50 is stuff that the distillery has spent YEARS (or decades) maturing, and hence, paying taxes on, that require those costs in order to make any money on it. fortunately, this works out for me, as I really dont like highly aged stuff........and paying $50+ for something based solely upon marking is an unwise decision to me - i vote with my wallet. others disagree, and if they vote with their wallets, those distilleries will continue to make it. my fear is, though, that paying ever higher prices for this stuff will inevitably pull the lower end stuff up in prices as well.

how did i get here....?

Upon what body of evidence do you base your claims that you don't like highly aged whiskey and that no whiskey is worth more than $50? You've clearly disqualified the entire Four Roses lineup based on one single barrel you disliked; is the highly aged claim based only on ECBP?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.