Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I do appreciate the generosity of the forums. I understand you don't want people/newcomers getting the wrong ideas from "list mania," good term and great point. The one thing that bothers me here is that there is this kind of "no shortcuts" "pay your dues kid" kind of approach to drinking liquor that I find silly. This is not martial arts, there are no black belts in drinking (maybe there are). I find all this apprentice vs. Jedi Master stuff immature and fraternal. You don't tell people to start out on PBR before they can try Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. You drink however, whatever, and whenever you want. I wish someone in high school would have said, "Hey, drop that Bud Light and try this Sierra Navada!" There are no steps to appreciation--it just takes research i.e. tasting, talking, and reading.

Based on price and/or taste, I am in no hurry to try these:

JTS Brown

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection

Very Old Barton

Bookers

Old Overholt

Ezra Brooks

Ancient Age

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Basil Hayden

Old Pogue

Willet

George Dickel

Rebel Yell

Ten High

Russel's Reserve

The pot is thoroughly stirred and you should have enough information to keep you busy for a while. Thank God opinions are free and this site is full of awesome folks huh? Isn't it great that we have so many choices available? As to the list you are in no hurry to try... I have always enjoyed Bookers, AAA, Dickel 12 and VOB BIB. I wish you the best of luck in you're journey.

try 'em all. a good thing about having friends who also like bourbons is that even alike as you and your best pal may be, your tastes wont be the same. so, when i go to my friends' house, i get to try something new usually, and he gets to try some of my stuff. obviously, the more firends, the greater the tasting pool. I prefer the 6-10yo 100+ proofers, one friend prefers ETL and the like, one Irish whiskey, and one scotch. we are all over the place. also to note, in respective order, i despise beer in general, one cant drink it anymore due to digestive issues with gluten, one i rarely ever see with a beer in hand, and the other Lousivilles own beer-club founder and home brewer.

experiment and have fun

Your tastes will change with time, mood, season as well as with experience. Better to say what you like at this point, and ask for opinions on what you think you should try next based on that - or try pours at a bar, join a whisk(e)y club, go to tastings, buy minis, 200mLs etc etc etc. all without buying a full bottle.

TPS and other online sources have a wide selection of smaller bottlings - part of the fun is finding out for yourself. I don't think there is a real shortcut here if that is what you are looking for. I read and heard good and bad things about Early Times 354 - for about five bucks, I bought two minis, and now I know.:grin:

Upon what body of evidence do you base your claims that you don't like highly aged whiskey and that no whiskey is worth more than $50? You've clearly disqualified the entire Four Roses lineup based on one single barrel you disliked; is the highly aged claim based only on ECBP?

reread my post. my post says basically that it is rediculous to pay $75 for an 8 year old whiskey (to me). seeing that other distilleries offer the same aged stuff for $30 or so, the only logical reason for that price increase is marketing. I can see charging $75, or even more, if you have spent the past 20 years storing, maintaining, and paying taxes on that barrel....that is justified.

ive had several things over 10 years old, and in my opinion, things go downhill to me after that. The ECBP is the crowning example of that to me.

if youve read much stuff by me, and im sure you have as im on here a lot, you know that i have only said i disliked 4RSiB. I dont dismiss their whole lineup. in fact, i have said numerous times how much i liked a barrel proofer i had once in a cincy bar. i have said i dont plan on running out and buying another 4R anything, but that is a factor of price/availability/etc. Im not going to judge 4R in its entirety by my one experience with 4RSiB.....it IS a single barrel after all, but my $30 will bring home a new contender next time rather than a risk on another 4RSiB. I will say though, that 4R is a tad bit overpriced and WAY overhyped though. as much as i liked the barrel proofer i had, im going to grab a $45 of bookers before i grab a $55 4R barrel proofer most anytime.

reread my post. my post says basically that it is rediculous to pay $75 for an 8 year old whiskey (to me). seeing that other distilleries offer the same aged stuff for $30 or so, the only logical reason for that price increase is marketing. I can see charging $75, or even more, if you have spent the past 20 years storing, maintaining, and paying taxes on that barrel....that is justified.

ive had several things over 10 years old, and in my opinion, things go downhill to me after that. The ECBP is the crowning example of that to me.

if youve read much stuff by me, and im sure you have as im on here a lot, you know that i have only said i disliked 4RSiB. I dont dismiss their whole lineup. in fact, i have said numerous times how much i liked a barrel proofer i had once in a cincy bar. i have said i dont plan on running out and buying another 4R anything, but that is a factor of price/availability/etc. Im not going to judge 4R in its entirety by my one experience with 4RSiB.....it IS a single barrel after all, but my $30 will bring home a new contender next time rather than a risk on another 4RSiB. I will say though, that 4R is a tad bit overpriced and WAY overhyped though. as much as i liked the barrel proofer i had, im going to grab a $45 of bookers before i grab a $55 4R barrel proofer most anytime.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

So, I think it's valid to say, based on price, I don't want to buy the following, but you can't really say based on taste if you haven't tried them.

Still, I defend your right to state your purchasing strategy and have others comment on it. That's what the internet was invented for. That and LOLcats.

So, my commentary on your pariahs:

--------

JTS Brown

Eagle Rare - I like this and it's on sale in PA this month for $24, so I picked up some more. Tastes like wood, but not overpowering.

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection - Never had, may violate my $50 rule if I find one on a shelf somewhere in the next few weeks. Not likely to happen.

Very Old Barton - I can't find the BIB, but I will buy it if I find it because it sounds like a great value for the price.

Bookers - no desire to try

Old Overholt - not great neat, but makes a fine cocktail and is inexpensive.

Ezra Brooks

Ancient Age

Jim Beam Devil's Cut - no desire to try

Basil Hayden - no desire to try

Old Pogue

Willet

George Dickel - have tried the #8, eh. Would try the #12 if I find it, but not a fan of TN whisky so far.

Rebel Yell

Ten High

Russel's Reserve

--------

My favorites are ETL, EC12, BT, KC120, OGD114.

Blanton's is one that I bought and won't re-buy.

List of drinks I like.

1. Bourbon

Even if it looks sketchy or has terrible reviews and I can find a mini or a 100ml of it, its going to come home with me. High end stuff I usually look at SB post more because I dont buy them often, and dont want to waste my money on not as good whisky.

List of things I dont care for

1. Vodka

I only buy bourbons with crazy gold medallions on them. RHF, Dickel Private Selection, Barry Gibb Reserve.

I participated in this thread only to share my thoughts and my thoughts only as to why I didn't like certain selections. It doesn't mean you should not try them. I went through the phase you went through but I tried everything. That is one of the reasons I have so many bottles opened still. Joe said it best...enjoy the journey. Don't rush to the destination. I don't know if there's even a destination I'm trying to get to...I just want to continue to enjoy the journey.

Of the list that you shared that you're not in a hurry to try, there are a few that you would be missing out big on if you didn't try them. Again, everyone's taste is different. You can only know if you try them.

I only buy bourbons with crazy gold medallions on them. RHF, Dickel Private Selection, Barry Gibb Reserve.

If I walk around downtown with a notepad and asked people to tell me what restaurants to avoid, or which car company I should boycott, and I wrote down and put a line through each individual restaurant and manufacturer mentioned, it would not be long before I couldn't eat anywhere and wouldn't have transportation to get there anyway.

Everybody's a critic, but like Joe said, we're each the expert on ourselves. We're certainly not experts on each other.

Edited by Old Dusty

This thread is amazing! It does not seem out of control at all, it seems perfect in my opinion. I've read every post and I love them all. I'm an educator, so I like agreeing, disagreeing, and a mild level of respectful conflict. I wasn't trying to be provocative with my comments, just honest.

I still don't understand the difference between this thread and the "Top 5 ALWAYS in your rotation" thread. Whoever started that one is trying to get information out of the boards too. Somehow my thread is dangerous or something. SB is full of lists. I like having a road map and you guys fulfill that. This place is very knowledgeable and super thoughtful.

Please realize that I may not be using the forum the same way you are. I have no bourbon aspirations. I have no collection and I'm not trying to build one. I'm just trying to find knowledge and learn of a few things I like. Before I joined you, I had Angel's Envy, Bulleit, and Maker's Mark (I like them all very well), and because of this board, I have a Weller Special Reserve to try. I think I like wheated bourbon over rye-based recipes, but I'm not sure yet. I'll figure it out.

I do want to try Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig 12yr., Four Roses Single Barrel and Blanton's, they sound good. I like the way they get described here. After that, who knows, I'll probably just dabble and enjoy life because I also love port wine, Spanish red wine, pinot noir, American craft ales, German pilsners, All Belgian ales, and Ledaig and Laphroaig scotch.

I'm enjoying the journey and enjoy reading the boards!

I hope your ideal bourbon isn't in your don't try list.

And I hope we've been uncivil enough for this thread to get locked. Please?

I can only echo the sentiments of others here who suggest that anyone form their own opinions on what they do or don't like. If you're taking the comments of other members as definitive statements on what you should or shouldn't like, you're completely missing the point of this board. While many of us share some likes, there are just as many cases where we enjoy something another member despises. Missing out on something we would love only because someone else doesn't care for it would be very sad and counter to what we're trying to do here. If you can't afford to do a lot of experimenting on your own, strike up relationships with other members in your area and make an effort to attend the gatherings in Bardstown. The SB community is VERY generous and will gladly offer opportunities to try just about anything in which you might have an interest. But whatever you do, please TRY things. Otherwise, you're only cheating yourself.

...an example...I really don't like (current) Weller 12...AT ALL. Seriously, I don't get the love for it. It tastes like scotch to me. Just about everyone else on this board would disagree with me. You can't form an opinion of a bourbon without ever tasting it.

Yeah, I read your post. I've read them all.

Regarding FR: you'd take the 96 proofer PHC over the identically priced Small Batch LE. Clearly you have written off the brand if you wouldn't be interested in the barrel proof bottle that many have said is among their best releases ever.

$55 (that's what it costs here,) 6-7 year old, massively produced Booker's is by far a worse value than $50-$60 9-12 year old hand-selected Four Roses barrel proofers.

Having read all of your 500 or whatever posts in the last three months, this is what I know: you love KCSB. You love OGD114. You love Booker's. You are ok with 100ish proof HH bottlings. You hate pretty much everything else. And you think everyone outside of Kentucky shouldn't be able to get the limited stuff that you don't even want.

Go out and try something different, man. Stop being so close-minded. You might not have the same opinions as I do of the things you try, but AT LEAST YOU'LL KNOW.

untwist your panties....they are opinions and nothing more

with the ECBP issue, i never said anyone outside of KY shouldnt get any, what i said was it is ironic that it is so hard for anyone in KY (where it is made and aged and bottled) to get it, yet there are so many guys on here 1000 miles away that just walk in and clear shelves of it. period.....irony

i try something new every time i go to the store. this month, its a ritt rye BIB. next month, who knows.will it be a 4R product? less than likely, as there are a lot of stuff in my mental list under their price of admission. someday, yeah, but not likely soon. price affects my decisions as much as the opinions of others here that ive read.

I hate everything else, other than what i like? dont put words in my mouth. i have only stated two that would come close to 'hated it'.....old overholt and the infamous ECBP. for some reason, my dislike recently of ECBP got under your skin about me. i value your opinion as much as anyone elses, but im not going to call you out in a public forum for disagreeing with me.

its just bourbon. relax

It's actually not true at all. Business (not just whiskey businesses) don't use that simple of a model in pricing their products. There are a ton of other factors involved. Including things like quality, supply and demand, replacement cost, etc. some rickhouses or rows or floors of a rickhouse consistently produce better bourbons. The distillery is gonna get a premium for those. It's not all about age/price. Otherwise we would all be drinking VOB exclusively. :skeep:

I have a simple formula for for finding out what I like or dislike when it comes to bourbon. When I go to a bar or friend's house, I order a bourbon I haven't had before. If I like it, I buy a bottle, if I don't I move on. Works for me.

PS: I like Weller 12, & Eagle Rare & Woodford and.....

Another example of trying everything you can. Lot B doesnt get must love around here but I really like it. I dont often drop $60 on a bottle, but for this one, Im glad I did. Ill be honest. I bought it because it is part of the van winkle line, and I wanted to try some of it. Ive tasted it blind, and enjoyed it more than the other options that way too. Everyone has their own taste. As many have said, "find members that have similar taste as you. Use their recommendations to guide you". But brach out and try a new bottle from time to time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.