Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another example of trying everything you can. Lot B doesnt get must love around here but I really like it. I dont often drop $60 on a bottle, but for this one, Im glad I did. Ill be honest. I bought it because it is part of the van winkle line, and I wanted to try some of it. Ive tasted it blind, and enjoyed it more than the other options that way too. Everyone has their own taste. As many have said, "find members that have similar taste as you. Use their recommendations to guide you". But brach out and try a new bottle from time to time.

Here's one reason why I've found this thread rather interesting. I would say that, based on my completely unscientific memory and gut feeling, Lot B gets more love than hate on SB.com. (And for the record, I'm neither a lover, nor a hater of Lot B, but rather a liker. And I like it much more than Weller 12 for completion's sake.)

Here's one reason why I've found this thread rather interesting. I would say that, based on my completely unscientific memory and gut feeling, Lot B gets more love than hate on SB.com. (And for the record, I'm neither a lover, nor a hater of Lot B, but rather a liker. And I like it much more than Weller 12 for completion's sake.)

Seconded... I feel like PVW swings sometimes to the dislike side just b/c of the name (and price gouging, BT juice, etc), while I always found it odd that Lot B kinda swung the other way around these parts. I personally like Lot B a lot, and since I can get (read: gotten, have been told never again) PVW 15 at list I love that too. I put my name on the list for all BTAC bottles and Lot B at our local ABC for fall release, and I'd be disappointed if I didn't get another Lot B for sure. Like others have said, just opinions, but always interesting to see how others' tastes match up.

I participated in this thread only to share my thoughts and my thoughts only as to why I didn't like certain selections. It doesn't mean you should not try them. I went through the phase you went through but I tried everything. That is one of the reasons I have so many bottles opened still. Joe said it best...enjoy the journey. Don't rush to the destination. I don't know if there's even a destination I'm trying to get to...I just want to continue to enjoy the journey.

Of the list that you shared that you're not in a hurry to try, there are a few that you would be missing out big on if you didn't try them. Again, everyone's taste is different. You can only know if you try them.

H, Thanks for this post. It pretty much reflects my thinking. Except I don't like to have too many open bottles lying around. Fortunately I can bring the ones I'm not fond of to my band practices. Those guys will drink anything that's free.

I do appreciate the generosity of the forums. I understand you don't want people/newcomers getting the wrong ideas from "list mania," good term and great point. The one thing that bothers me here is that there is this kind of "no shortcuts" "pay your dues kid" kind of approach to drinking liquor that I find silly. This is not martial arts, there are no black belts in drinking (maybe there are). I find all this apprentice vs. Jedi Master stuff immature and fraternal. You don't tell people to start out on PBR before they can try Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. You drink however, whatever, and whenever you want. I wish someone in high school would have said, "Hey, drop that Bud Light and try this Sierra Navada!" There are no steps to appreciation--it just takes research i.e. tasting, talking, and reading.

Based on price and/or taste, I am in no hurry to try these:

JTS Brown

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection

Very Old Barton

Bookers

Old Overholt

Ezra Brooks

Ancient Age

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Basil Hayden

Old Pogue

Willet

George Dickel

Rebel Yell

Ten High

Russel's Reserve

By "in no hurry" I hope you don't mean never. I have tried some not all on that list and there are some excellent bourbons on there, yes there are a couple I didn't love but I wouldn't know that unless I tried them. The apprentice stage is one I am thoroughly enjoying. I have a blast comparing a pour I have a good handle on with a new one and then A/B ing them. I am now enjoying nuances of bourbon flavor I have read about but not too long ago couldn't even imagine tasting. This is a fun hobby, cheap, plentiful, easily enjoyed with friends and new discoveries to be made with each new pour, sometimes from the same bottle. YOUR palate will determine what you avoid but that is all that should determine it. Consider tearing up that list and embrace the journey and enjoy all of it, the good and occasionally not so good.

H, Thanks for this post. It pretty much reflects my thinking. Except I don't like to have too many open bottles lying around. Fortunately I can bring the ones I'm not fond of to my band practices. Those guys will drink anything that's free.

Thanks:) I need to find a group locally that I can bring my stuff to:)

By "in no hurry" I hope you don't mean never. I have tried some not all on that list and there are some excellent bourbons on there, yes there are a couple I didn't love but I wouldn't know that unless I tried them. The apprentice stage is one I am thoroughly enjoying. I have a blast comparing a pour I have a good handle on with a new one and then A/B ing them. I am now enjoying nuances of bourbon flavor I have read about but not too long ago couldn't even imagine tasting. This is a fun hobby, cheap, plentiful, easily enjoyed with friends and new discoveries to be made with each new pour, sometimes from the same bottle. YOUR palate will determine what you avoid but that is all that should determine it. Consider tearing up that list and embrace the journey and enjoy all of it, the good and occasionally not so good.

I agree with everything you said. One thing to note tho...It "can" be cheap but it has not been for me so far:) Just like any hobby tho...you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. They're all fun!

As I get older , I find myself less picky or critical on a lot of things, bourbon included. Hell , there are hundreds of bourbons I won't buy, but I can't think of any I won't drink.

As I get older , I find myself less picky or critical on a lot of things, bourbon included. Hell , there are hundreds of bourbons I won't buy, but I can't think of any I won't drink.

Yep. The older I get, the better bourbon tastes. Looking back over the last month, there wasn't anything I didn't enjoy. You won't find me contributing to the Five Bourbons I Can't Stand thread. There are only different levels of Pretty Damn Good.

Mostly true, although as my liver has aged I've discovered I have less desire to waste what's left of said liver on the likes of Colonel Lee :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.