Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got only two on my list....and both of them put me in a huge minority around here:

GTS - there, I said it. I've only tried the 2012 and none of you have to worry about me as competition for hunting this stuff. For me it is very hot and tannic, and it amazingly stays that way cut all the way down to 90 proof. And it isn't that I can't take high proof whiskeys. I enjoy Booker's and THH immensely. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but unless I try some again in a bar sometime, I don't think I will ever buy another bottle.

OWA - I love Weller 12, but for my palate OWA seriously sucks. Very hot and sweet, with no depth whatsoever.

I would take Jim Beam white or JD any day over these two.

I've got only two on my list....and both of them put me in a huge minority around here:

GTS - there, I said it. I've only tried the 2012 and none of you have to worry about me as competition for hunting this stuff. For me it is very hot and tannic, and it amazingly stays that way cut all the way down to 90 proof. And it isn't that I can't take high proof whiskeys. I enjoy Booker's and THH immensely. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but unless I try some again in a bar sometime, I don't think I will ever buy another bottle.

OWA - I love Weller 12, but for my palate OWA seriously sucks. Very hot and sweet, with no depth whatsoever.

I've tried just about everything out there at one time or another and my two recommendations to avoid are Willett pot still and Lexington. Mainly because they are way overpriced for the quality of product in the bottle.:hot: There are simply too many good to great drinking bourbons out there to be enjoyed, that don't charge you for the fancy bottle and/or label. I really didn't enjoy much of anything about either of these two, even considering that they were freebies that had been gifted to me! Imagine how bad they would have been had I actually paid for them!

As I mentioned somewhere on the boards last Friday, I find OWA too hot as well, even when adding water. I can't explain it as I love WSR and am very fond of W12. However, I still would rather have OWA than JB or JD. ;-)

Edited by CL

Question for y'all not lovin ' on OWA. Are these older bottles, or recent bottles?

Question for y'all not lovin ' on OWA. Are these older bottles, or recent bottles?

For me, both. It was hot to me many years ago (6-10?), so I stopped buying it. I bought it Friday to complete my everyday Weller line up (WSR, OWA, W12) and to mingle with some W12. A couple neat drinks of the OWA were hot to me. Maybe my palate was off. Though, the FR Private Selection (OBSF) tasted just fine after that. I'll revisit OWA probably next weekend to see if I get the same heat from it.

Joe, how much of a difference do you notice with the NAS and age-stated bottles? I haven't done a side-by-side, but I didn't notice a large difference in quality after losing the 7-year stamp. However, it has been almost a year since I've bought any. I'm still finishing off the last of my bottles.

Easy #1: Current Yellowstone. I'm shocked no one has mentioned it. And no, not just because of Chuck's book.

Others:

Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve (Hear me out): Good but overpriced, would buy OGD 114 any day.

Rock & Rye (current): I had this syrupy concoction. Not a true bourbon, but had at a whisky bar. Fortunately I didn't order it myself.

Jim Beam White Label (current): This makes me sad because it used to be so much more.

Ok, kind of a sad list, but I stick to good, known whiskies.

I'm also one that can't drink OWA. It's a NAS but a couple of years old. Had 3 pours so far and ever so often will try it to see.

Someone should re-do the Weller poll on SB. In it's day, everyone who took the poll put OWA way ahead of WSR. I would like to see that happen again. Wondering what changed the bourbon, the SB population, or the taste of everyone on SB????

Curious minds want to know.

This thread started off rocky, but I'm glad I made it and I'm also very thankful to the responders!

Isn't WSR just OWA w/ water? I'm another that isn't a big fan of OWA and have stayed away from it (hot, sweet and thin to me). I recently bought some TPS selection OWA that was from 7 year old barrels. I've never had the old 7/107, so I'm hoping this might be a little fuller/rounder than standard.

i keep meaning to try OWA, but you guys are making me rethink that. maybe ill just order a shot next time i actually see it at a bar.....the two-three times a year i actually go to a bar

I must be a philistine because between having an empty hand or a JBW/MM/WR on some ice, well...

I could do a 5 bourbons I choose not to purchase or something, but I don't avoid much bourbon, certainly not straight bourbon, at all.

I'll probably never buy another bottle of...

Wild Turkey 101. It's my father-in-law's favorite daily drinker, so I have a glass with him often enough. It's also commonly the "best" bourbon at whichever dive bar I wander into. I enjoy it, but I don't need it at home.

Maker's Mark. I like it less and less as the years pass. It was once my favorite bourbon when I didn't know it from shineola. I drank enough to float a cruise ship the weekend of my wedding. I have two 1.75s I bought during the week of the 84 debacle and I figure those will cover whatever nostalgia trip I'm looking for down the road.

Old Scout 5-6-7 Year. I think OS is probably the best regularly produced LDI product out there, but I've taken to picking up the TPS private barrels which seem to show no sign of slowing down. I've also got some VOS bottles stashed away, and the new OS10 stands to replace the younger bottles if I decide to purchase the regular production stuff.

Weller Special Reserve. Before I ever got on to SB I randomly ordered each of the W.L. Weller bourbons from different places around the country and thought they were all pretty great. A little sweet, for sure, but very nice. I'm not a 100+ or death guy when it comes to proof (even if the shirt does say Barrel Proof Ãœber Alles) but I prefer my value pours to have more heft than 90. Elmer, Eagle, and the like can get away with it. But off-hand I can't think of an under $20, under 100-proof bottle that I would put my dollars down for anymore.

Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch. I heard some pretty severe reviews of this, but picked one up out of curiosity. It's perfectly fine bourbon, but it has a big price tag and a pretty bottle. That much is true. I hosted a BIB tasting over the summer and I, and many guests, preferred nearly everything else on the table to this. As long as there are the Old Fitz, VOB, OGD, and Ritt BIBs of the world it will be very difficult to put down the $35 for another one of these.

Thanks Guy, it is too bad you got the usual new guy treatment from some long time members, some of whom are moderators who could have moderated their reply to take into account your unfamiliarity. I understand why you would solicit the 5 least liked for comparison to the 5 most liked. It helps hone in on similar tastes. I don't know that I have "5 worst" but some are less liked than others.

I don't care for Basil Hayden though I like rye. It is not terrible, I just don't find it compelling.

4 Roses Yellow Label is not something I reach for very often as a sipper.

this thread clearly point to the big name stuff you see everywhere that is generally disliked on this forum. I dont think it is that they are bad, but being on this forum itself implies that you are into quality, not mass production stuff meant to appeal to the masses. There is nothing wrong with JB, JD, Makers, or any of the other big names, they just dont have appeal to enthusiasts. I remember the first time I tried MM at a bar.......if I hadnt seen them pour it from the bottle, id have sworn it had been diluted to increase the volume. it was just bland bourbonwater.......not that thats a bad thing, it just doesnt appeal to me. Most guys on here have a feature or two about a bourbon that they seek out....a rye 'bite', high proof kicks, woodyness, you name it. the big names try to average it all out to appeal to the biggest possible audience. again, thats not a bad thing to do from a business perspective, but it isnt good for enthusiasts.

1. EC18 in a glass

2. EC18 in a dog bowl

3. EC18 in a dixie cup

4. EC18 in a canteen

5. EC18 cupping my hands

IMO, this stuff should be used to clean furniture, and for a stubbed toe in a pinch, but that's about it.

1. EC18 in a glass

2. EC18 in a dog bowl

3. EC18 in a dixie cup

4. EC18 in a canteen

5. EC18 cupping my hands

IMO, this stuff should be used to clean furniture, and for a stubbed toe in a pinch, but that's about it.

The 180 perspective on the typical top 5 has been a fun read so far and I also find it informative, good post. I have a few I avoid, I have no wish to bash them, they are avoided for various reasons.

1) Beam white, its all a flavor profile disconnect for me. MY palate and the JBW and other Beam products to a lesser degree do not get along, I have a sensitivity to their house flavor and that is AOK, plenty of other brands. I am glad to have tried it many times as it was a vital component in learning and understanding my preferences.

2) Weller SR. I always have a bottle it has become my go-to mixer. I now avoid it as a neat pour. I tried it a number of times and it is hot, aggressive and not what I want in a neat bourbon, however I feel its perfect for cocktails as I like what it grows up to be. I prefer to have a mixer whose flavor profile I like vs. one I don't and 10 bucks for a 750 helps too.

3) JD, this is a price to performance issue as I do enjoy it as a neat pour but not nearly as much as many many others and there is no way I will pay what is charged for it.

4) Woodford and MM, I used to like WF more than I do now but I do like it and MM when offered at a friends home or other event is fine as well, again a price to performance issue not a flavor issue. I do feel that even if they were less$$ I am getting a good handle on what I like and don't and there isn't enough complexity and depth of flavor to either of these for me. For my palate some pours such as BT reads vanilla then a mellow spice. When I want that it delivers and I can rely on it for that. WT is my licorice&spice fix and I go to it for that experience. 4R Smb is my butter and caramel pour, the off the shelf 4RSB gives me spice and cocoa/dark chocolate and the list goes on. The ones I don't avoid have identities that reward me with flavor experiences that I enjoy and return to WF and MM while nice, don't make the cut because they don't leave me with something identifiable that I connect with and will want to revisit.

Fortunately I haven't had any truly foul bourbon. I am thankful to the SB posters for assisting me in avoiding that. I am sure that through exploring and tasting sooner or later... but not yet :)

1. EC18 in a glass

2. EC18 in a dog bowl

3. EC18 in a dixie cup

4. EC18 in a canteen

5. EC18 cupping my hands

havent had any, but after my experience with the ECBP (and it is what....12 years?)....i can only imagine what EC18 is like!

Good thread. Here are mine:

1. MM: I don't know what it is but there is a funk in the taste and after taste that builds up in my mouth and throat that makes me gag when I drink this. It doesn't matter whether it's neat or in a cocktail. My senses pick out that funk and it's not pretty. Unfortunately, I have not picked/figured out what that funk is...I just can't make myself drink this to figure it out.

2. Willett Potstill: I went against many negative comments on here because the manager at a local store was so convincing and got a bottle. After 4 small pours and many months later, this bottle is still sitting there staring at me. I can't and won't drink another pour of this.

3. Woodford Reserve: I have not enjoyed this neat and will not purchase another bottle for sipping. It has a metallic note to it and also a taste to it that resembles the hairpspray that my wife uses. When I walk into the bathroom in the morning and she is finishing her hairdo with that hairspray, it always reminds me of Woodford Reserve. If you have or can get Kenra Platinum Finishing Spray #26 Maximum Hold hair spray, try it out. Spray a little into the air and then go near it and you will experience Woodford Reserve. Having said all that, I have found that the characteristic of this WR works really well in a Mint Julep that I make using a local honey instead of simple syrup. It just works. I do enjoy Mint Juleps made with other bourbons as well but I would characterize a Mint Julep using WR as special, of course to my palate.

4. WSR: For my palate, this is just not good enough for sipping. I might be spoilt having tasted the WSR7s from the mid 2000s. I think I'm going to continue sipping my WSR7s from mid 2000s but use my two bottles of current WSR and a more recent bottling of WSR7 for mixing.

5. BMH: I think this has its audience. I developed a like and dislike roller coaster with my bottle. It was dislike, then slowly liking it more and more, and then had it after a pour of something else put me in a definite dislike camp. At its price point, I think I would go with others. I can agree with others who see this as adding variety to their bar.

I have a bunch of them that I probably wouldn't buy again just because they are not what I enjoy and did not stand out compared to others.

Edited by hn4bourbon

Joe, how much of a difference do you notice with the NAS and age-stated bottles? I haven't done a side-by-side, but I didn't notice a large difference in quality after losing the 7-year stamp. However, it has been almost a year since I've bought any. I'm still finishing off the last of my bottles.

Frankly, I have not seen any falling off in OWA from the move to Paper Label 7 yr, to Clear Label 7 yr, to Clear Label NAS. But, my question really pertains to the very-most-recent bottlings of the NAS OWA, of which I have not tried. For the first couple of years of NAS, there was a fair amount of 7 yr still in the whiskey. But, earlier this year there was a dedicated thread to OWA where we learned that the barrels offered for private selection parties were not 7 yrs, suggesting that there potentially was no 7 yr in regular retail bottles either. Even when OWA went NAS, a customer doing a private selection could request looks at only 7 yr (or older) barrels. So, with the idea that these were no longer available, there was much hand wringing over what would be the result in future bottles. There was some grumbling at KBF last week, that some of these under 7 yr private selections were below expectations. Descriptions of "Hot" were plentiful. So, I am wondering if the most recent standard OWA's fit this same description? I hope it's just an aberration, as OWA is one of my most favorite bourbons.

For me they were the recent NAS bottles. I bought three of them at an unbelievable unadvertised price 2 years ago ($13.50 per 750 mL), and I've still got a bottle and a half left!

Frankly, I have not seen any falling off in OWA from the move to Paper Label 7 yr, to Clear Label 7 yr, to Clear Label NAS. But, my question really pertains to the very-most-recent bottlings of the NAS OWA, of which I have not tried. For the first couple of years of NAS, there was a fair amount of 7 yr still in the whiskey. But, earlier this year there was a dedicated thread to OWA where we learned that the barrels offered for private selection parties were not 7 yrs, suggesting that there potentially was no 7 yr in regular retail bottles either. Even when OWA went NAS, a customer doing a private selection could request looks at only 7 yr (or older) barrels. So, with the idea that these were no longer available, there was much hand wringing over what would be the result in future bottles. There was some grumbling at KBF last week, that some of these under 7 yr private selections were below expectations. Descriptions of "Hot" were plentiful. So, I am wondering if the most recent standard OWA's fit this same description? I hope it's just an aberration, as OWA is one of my most favorite bourbons.

Joe, my experience is that the newer NAS bottles are hot and lack some barrel characteristics that a few more years would bring. I have a couple of TPS selections and they are at least marginally better but after doing a side by side with the W12 I still use them in the SB blend rather than solo. I think most here would agree a Weller 10/107 would be welcomed indeed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.