What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2013

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Enter key doesn't work for me while starting a new thread in Chrome, Firefox and IE, so I'm rambling on to say I picked up some common selections while visiting out of state. Stagg Jr, Bernheim, Mellow Corn and Blanton's.

Bought FR1B at Costco for $33. They also had a couple cases of Jefferson's Reserve out but no price.

Edited by berto

I purchased a 4R1B (surprise, surprise) today on this 2nd day of Fall 2013.

This barrel came from the east side of the M rickhouse.

It is initially dry upon intake but disolves into a fruity sweetness.

finally found a 354 ritt rye today. theyre only at the big stores around here, and most of them are the HH distilled ones now, and they had a whole shelf of the 354's.

After opening the OFBB13 last night went back to store and picked up another for the bunker. Since it looked lonely in the bag I added a bottel of Balcones True Blue.

i went everywhere today, at least all the big stores and upscale stores, hoping to find a WFE 6 or 8 year. no luck, but everyone had 4 year rye, but i didnt want to take a chance on it.

Reports on the WFE ryes have been positive here on SB - I don't have the 4 y.o, but do have the 5 y.o and it is excellent, full of rye spice - 110 proof - $36. They are single barrel.

Picked up my first OGD 114 today. Definitely will be sampled tonight.

In regards to the WFE rye, I had a bottle of the 4yr some time back and feel it makes one of the finest manhattans I've ever had.

i went everywhere today, at least all the big stores and upscale stores, hoping to find a WFE 6 or 8 year. no luck, but everyone had 4 year rye, but i didnt want to take a chance on it.

There was a very small shipment months ago (3-4months i think) at a few stores, since then i imagine the bottling issues as KBD has most everything out of stock.

Had an expensive day:

2 bottles Stagg Jr

1 bottle EH Taylor BIB

1 bottle 2013 Birthday

1 bottle Noah's Mill

1 bottle Of what i think is an 04, or 05 Rare breed in a cardboard tube

1 bottle Charter 101

1 375 of Old forester 75th anniversary in a gift pack with a glencairn ( which i am now drinking the Charter 101 out of:))

All things I can't get in New Mexico. I am on business in Houston, now I just have to get all this home in my checked bags...

Well I managed to unload the haul from the KBF without getting divorced. Step 1. So here's what happened:

FRSmBLE13 - More than a few

FR 40th

FR OESV GS

FR OBSF PS x2

FR OESF PS

Booker's - 7 year 2 months and 7 year 5 months

OFBB13

PHC4

Old Fitz DSP-16

WFE 11 Year

WTR101 x2

EWSB13

Powers John's Lane 12 Year

OWA 7 Year 375ml

Beam 175 month 1973 decanter

And a ****load of beer. The amount of beer that makes your wife say "we need to get a beer fridge".

Thanks to the wonderful retailers in KY and the excellent friends I've made here on the board for making this haul a reality.

Well I managed to unload the haul from the KBF without getting divorced. Step 1. So here's what happened:

FRSmBLE13 - More than a few

FR 40th

FR OESV GS

FR OBSF PS x2

FR OESF PS

Booker's - 7 year 2 months and 7 year 5 months

OFBB13

PHC4

Old Fitz DSP-16

WFE 11 Year

WTR101 x2

EWSB13

Powers John's Lane 12 Year

OWA 7 Year 375ml

Beam 175 month 1973 decanter

And a ****load of beer. The amount of beer that makes your wife say "we need to get a beer fridge".

Thanks to the wonderful retailers in KY and the excellent friends I've made here on the board for making this haul a reality.

Ok, what is your secret for bringing all those into the house? :)

Ok, what is your secret for bringing all those into the house? :)

As soon as I got home from work on Monday I started cleaning out my office, in a completely altruistic way the benefitted the entire home...

Then she started cleaning out boxes from the garage, to make sure I didn't have all the "I worked on the house tonight" credit. Then I started unpacking and storing and intermittently helped her with some books and DVDs from the garage. A few hours later we were having dinner and the whole thing went off without a single comment, well, other than "honey, the office looks so clean!"

I also stopped on the way home Sunday and picked up several Four Roses single barrel and small batch boxes from the Liquor Barn. That helped the consolidation process quite a bit.

Now, I'm just spamming my post count. It's late and I'm drinking. CAST THE FIRST STONE!

I did forget one funny interaction which regarded the 1973 Beam decanter that was graciously gifted to me by a good friend. One of my tactics is to fein transparency by showing off a few acquisitions. I knew immediately that one would be this..."distinct" looking decanter. My wife has very specific tastes, and "genie-in-a-bottle" 1970s whiskey decanters is not among them. She spent so much time trying to figure out how to tell me to get rid of it once it was empty without sounding too bossy that I think she completely missed anything and everything else.

Well, except the beer in the fridge :cool:

Thanks Josh, I'll be using some of this tactic soon as I will be getting a major haul shortly as well!

She knows all I am buying but for the next one clearing my office room would be necessary I think! I'll be bring in boxes instead of loose bottles to keep it clean and consolidated.

Thanks

Hugh

I love my wife, not much of a whiskey drinker but when I told her i spent $300 on bourbon today, she barely registered that and asked me how much the 2010 Mondavi Fume Blanc was at the store i went to... She also went 50 miles out of her way today to check my honey hole liquor store for EHT Tornado :)

I love my wife...2010 Mondavi Fume Blanc...EHT Tornado

Well, that all sounds in order. It reminds me of another tactic - keep the wife (and occasionally yourself) flush with aged tawny.

I was sent to pick up some crappy flavored vodka that was on sale that my daughter likes. Keeping an eye out for the OFBB, which I haven't seen yet in stores around here. Wasn't there, but an E.H. Taylor Small Batch caught my eye. Never had it before, so figured it was about time to add it to the collection. My wife hardly batted an eye when I walked out with two bottles instead of one.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!