What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think I had some pours out of that same bottle. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing Gary.

You guys need to start scheduling your get togethers on a weeknight. Can't make the Saturday tasting cause my ass has gotta work. I knew I shoulda stayed in college :frown:

I think I had some pours out of that same bottle. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing Gary.

Thank you Bill for being such a gracious and generous host! Too many great pours for me to remember from last night :)

You guys need to start scheduling your get togethers on a weeknight. Can't make the Saturday tasting cause my ass has gotta work. I knew I shoulda stayed in college :frown:

Sorry we missed ya Kevin, but we thought about you while sitting by the fire. Not sure I could do this on a weeknight unless I'm off work the next day!

Jealous of the lineup, and trying to figure out how to tell the wife that I need to book airfare for a trip out west for the next lineup. I only wish.........

B

Any time you find yourself in the Emerald City, message me and I'm sure I can find some suitable things to open for you.

I tried High West Rendezvous and Fog's End Monterey Rye (among other pours) at a local bar over the weekend.

Trying to choke down some HW Double Rye. I have liked other HW expressions but I'm having trouble with this one. It's very raw and unbalanced. That being said I enjoy the Rendezvous Rye. IMHO, the younger rye really takes over for me. I get a lot of pine needle notes that I don't really care for in a rye. Anyway, I'm not out any money because I won this bottle in a raffle at a HW tasting :-)
Agree about the youthful piney notes and overall unbalanced profile. I'm not a fan, in fact the double rye has been one of my least favorite whiskey experiences.

I'll have to agree. I'm trying to compare John Hansell's review (90) with the whiskey I'm tasting and I'm coming up well short. All I get is pine-sol and rubbing alcohol. I'll give it some more time, but I'm disappointed since I'm a big fan of the other HW products.

Saz 18. This years. Same as always. Delish!!!!

I haven't gotten a saz 18 yet (this year), but looking forward to to trying it. Thy are always very good.

Well it's 2:00 AM and I just made it home from work. Relaxing with a HW 16. Really hitting the spot after a long day.

Thoroughly enjoying my recent acquisitions of Dickel Rye, Bulleit Rye and Jefferson's Reserve Straight Rye. The first two were very affordable at $15 and $23, respectively, and have good flavor at 95% rye.

Still working on this blasted bottle of HW Double Rye. I have been very critical of this bottle but I have to admit it is very slowly growing on me. Not enough to buy another but I appreciate it a little more. Too much pine fresh for my liking IMO. :-)

Still working on this blasted bottle of HW Double Rye. I have been very critical of this bottle but I have to admit it is very slowly growing on me. Not enough to buy another but I appreciate it a little more. Too much pine fresh for my liking IMO. :-)

I've been there at that same place with that bottle. After some consideration, I determined that my rye dollars were better spent elsewhere. It just bored me. At the same time, I've warmed on other HW releases like Campfire. No, it's more than warmed...I LOVE it!! A spectacularly innovative release by those guys.

I ended up trying vatted cocktails with it (which I also didn't like) as well as vatted ryes (which worked out ok). I just was not gonna drink it on its own.

Having the last pour out of a bottle of VWFRR tonight. Easily one of my favorite pours, bourbon or rye.

Trying to fight through a cold with some AE Rye. Still delicious, and opens up nicely with a bit of water. Perfect sipper for the fall.

Went to a new bar to play team trivia last night. I've been to the restaurant upstairs several times, but never walked down to check out the bar before. After buying a SN Torpedo and sitting down with the team I noticed 3oz. in the bottom of a Thomas H. Handy bottle resting at the highest point of the bar. When I finished my beer I went to the bartender and said "how much is it going to cost me to finish that bottle?" $10 later I was sipping on some fine barrel proof rye. It was a damn fine pour and really softened the trivia loss.

First tasting of this James E Pepper rye (against a Ritt DSP-1 for context) and pretty happy with it! Didn't have high expectations, but prefer it over my Ritt DSP-1 (which I prefer over the Ritt DSP-354). The nose and palate are much more rich, much deeper than the Ritt. May need to bump this against some 4yr WFER. For under $30 - definitely glad I gave it a shot! One tasting is never the whole story, but promising thus far!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!