What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks Dusty. The reason I ask is because I'm not really a big rye fan. I've had Ritt BIB and it seems like it's better suited as a mixer as opposed to a sipper. However, I got a bottle of VWFRR this year because it was offered to me and I had not tried it. I was very surprised that I really enjoyed it. I've also tried Saz18 at a tasting and didn't care for it. So, I guess I'm just curious to see how you rye lovers think they compare.

In comparison to all but the Hall of Fame ryes from KBD, the VWFRR may be the best there is. You were wise to grab it and give it a go. Most will say it has a bourbon-like profile. Not as dry and wood forward as some of the other older ryes. I'm guessing that's what turned you off the Saz18. VW rye is a unicorn and as an enthusiast you will be happy to recall the opportunity you had to sample it. Even if ryes aren't your thing.

post-9650-14489820289629_thumb.jpg

Snowed in= SBS blind tasting rye day! Three heavyweights in the 90+ proof weightclass. Numbered Glencairns the whole bit. Will post my craptastic tasting notes in the tasting forum.

post-9650-14489820289216_thumb.jpg

Opened a HW21 for the first time, interesting stuff. It is very much like a muted HW16, which I guess is to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a nice little blind rye lineup tonight. Jefferson 10 yr, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse, and FRSB for 100%, high, barely legal, and high rye bourbon respectively.

I knew the four, but was able to pick out each one so cheers to that.

In order of preference I chose Jeff10 with Rittenhouse close behind and FRSB/Saz being close to a tie for 3rd, maybe FRSB getting a slight nod for better mouthfeel and better finish.

Still have to get to know this Jefferson but its mighty fine, I like the Baby Saz a lot but up against the Jefferson it falls flat. A little sweeter on the front thats nice but the more intense taste and finish of the Jefferson beats it hands down for me.

As usual for me Rittenhouse shines as best buy at roughly half the price of the others :)

Interesting lineup!

Is Baby Saz really that much higher the Rittenhouse? I don't think the Baby Saz/THH/Saz 18 mashbill is known definitively (at least it is not in the whiskey tree and it is not known to me!) but my impression was that if it is more than 51% rye it is only a little more (mid 50's?). Is there a rye made with a rye content around 75%? Perhaps CEHT rye is a useful comparison as I believe it is speculated (but not known?) to be around 90%.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?17618-Col-E-H-Taylor-Straight-Rye&p=298878&viewfull=1#post298878

Did a nice little blind rye lineup tonight. Jefferson 10 yr, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse, and FRSB for 100%, high, barely legal, and high rye bourbon respectively.

I knew the four, but was able to pick out each one so cheers to that.

In order of preference I chose Jeff10 with Rittenhouse close behind and FRSB/Saz being close to a tie for 3rd, maybe FRSB getting a slight nod for better mouthfeel and better finish.

Still have to get to know this Jefferson but its mighty fine, I like the Baby Saz a lot but up against the Jefferson it falls flat. A little sweeter on the front thats nice but the more intense taste and finish of the Jefferson beats it hands down for me.

As usual for me Rittenhouse shines as best buy at roughly half the price of the others :)

Interesting lineup!

Is Baby Saz really that much higher the Rittenhouse? I don't think the Baby Saz/THH/Saz 18 mashbill is known definitively (at least it is not in the whiskey tree and it is not known to me!) but my impression was that if it is more than 51% rye it is only a little more (mid 50's?). Is there a rye made with a rye content around 75%? Perhaps CEHT rye is a useful comparison as I believe it is speculated (but not known?) to be around 90%.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?17618-Col-E-H-Taylor-Straight-Rye&p=298878&viewfull=1#post298878

You know, I'm not sure on the Saz. From memory I though I'd seen that it was thought to be in the 60s/70s at some point but honestly no idea. Would of course be great to know, from taste it didn't seem too far off from the 100%.

Baby Saz drinks very different from Rittenhouse so I'd think that means a lot less corn in the mash, but maybe not?

How do the Willett and Rath compare to VWFRR Johnny (or anyone else)?

It's been almost a year since I've tasted a "C" VWFRR and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed back then.

I don't have a bottle but may bring samples of the Rath & W24 to a bar to do a SBS.

I was pretty cold today after digging the car out so I wanted some rye. I was thinking to myself "what would Paddy drink, if he didn't have WTRR?" Why WFE 4-year, of course! So, I did, and it was excellent!

I was pretty cold today after digging the car out so I wanted some rye. I was thinking to myself "what would Paddy drink, if he didn't have WTRR?" Why WFE 4-year, of course! So, I did, and it was excellent!

It'll definitely keep your pipes from freezing!

VWFRR neat to end an extended weekend thanks to Snownado '14.

Edit: wow! Has this opened up since my recent review. More pronounced nose, lost the shoe polish flavor and the finish has really appeared to lengthen.

Edited by Old Dusty

It's been almost a year since I've tasted a "C" VWFRR and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed back then.

I don't have a bottle but may bring samples of the Rath & W24 to a bar to do a SBS.

Don't even bother, the rath and w24 are in a totally different realm

sygetury.jpg7ehetyne.jpgran through my open ryes last night, the w24 and Michters 10 were the shining stars.. The others were just old, stale and woody in comparison..

VWFRR "C" bottling from 2012. It has opened up maybe more than any bourbon/rye I have tried. Tight, closed, astringent popped and poured. But now after a few days and a few pours I get what all the fuss is about. Warm creamy palate with some wood notes but also layers of other flavors. And a lingering sugary finish. Shout out to MOKD.

Warm creamy palate with some wood notes but also layers of other flavors. And a lingering sugary finish.

Pretty much my experience with it. That's why I was surprised that you didn't seem to like it as well as the others. Saz18 on the other hand was very dry and peppery the last time I had some and is what made me think that I didn't care for aged rye.

I really enjoy the finish on this one. My bottle is a D from this year.

Pretty much my experience with it. That's why I was surprised that you didn't seem to like it as well as the others. Saz18 on the other hand was very dry and peppery the last time I had some and is what made me think that I didn't care for aged rye.

I really enjoy the finish on this one. My bottle is a D from this year.

fRYEday here saw pours of WTR101, Ritt BIB, & Baby Saz. The Saz struck me as a higher rye content than usual. I was picking up the stronger rye flavors that I typically get in the LDI ryes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Some HW 16 while watching the colts game. Not a great start for the ponies but we will see how the rest of the game goes. Go Colts!!

Had some 2011 THHandy last night. Not an easy drinker. Just a big hot flavor bomb. Good stuff if you are in the right mood.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!